Why are we so fixed on appearances?

Lately on gag there's questions on how i look am i attractive i know people that are really diffrent from each other and they still like each other so why all these questions of how do i look and rate me on a scale of 1to 10

Most Helpful Guy

• It just comes naturally. It's dumb but that's the way it is. I mean appearance isn't everything but it still matters somewhat. You can't have a girl that has a good personality, common interests but no physical attractiveness just like how you can't date a girl who is only physically attractive but you have nothing in common with and nothing to talk about.

That being said, I have been guilty of multi dating and focusing on the most attractive girl as opposed to the one who was decent but showed the most interest.

Most Helpful Girl

• yeah there never used to be a 'how do i look' category but it's been in such high demand lol.

anyway, i think many people r quite insecure. looks after all do make first impressions and i guess those people just want advice, reassurance, compliments. eh, something to help them feel better.

What Guys Said 3

• the rate me questions will never end

• Our brains are hardwired for it, survival of the fittest and all that. You just have to be more intelligent and be able to look past that to get to the real person.

• I cannot say I am

What Girls Said 3

• Most teens are insecure about the way they look. And many adults as well, it seems. Though, some enjoy the attention

• 1. insecurity
    2. fishing for compliments

i guess the above are the main point that drive the questions

• thats just what society has done.