Would you date outside your religion?

What are your opinions on dating someone outside of your religion?

I'm interested in a Muslim girl but I don't know if I should pursue her.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm agnostic, and I don't put people down for what they believe in. The only thing I would dislike is if they pressure me into joining or converting for them. I don't mind participating in church charity events and whatnot, but I don't like being pressured into something I don't believe in.

I dated an atheist, a nondenominational Christian, a Catholic, a Baptiste, a Buddhist and a Jewish guy. Only two pressured me, and that was a turn off. I really liked the Jewish guy, but his family was so traditional, he said he could never marry or be with me fully. That broke my heart, not going to lie. I really liked him.

I guess you can see how traditional she and her family is. They might be open to her dating outside her religion.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a Christian, and I'm pretty laid-back. I found it easier to get along with a similarly laid-back Muslim than with "you're-going-to-hell-unless-you-believe-EXACTLY-as-I-do" fellow Christians.

It really comes down to moderation. I'm very fortunate to have met this girl. Frankly my family is by far less tolerant of our relationship than hers, and I'm going to have to work on them for a while before they shake loose their misconceptions and accept this.

• Goodluck and do it in the name of love.

What Girls Said 37

• I'm an atheist so I would very much prefer to date someone with the same/similar beliefs as me. But if I really liked the person and they weren't like super religious, and they respected my views, I'd date them.

• Forget Her, sweetie. If you are Anything but a muslim man, her parents will forbid it and you are looking for love in all the wrong places with These faces.
    I am a Christan and married a man out in Egypt a long time ago. It was Permitted that I could do so, no problem. We never had a problem in my religion, I respected his. But in a Muslim girl marrying anyone Outside her own faith, is a No-No, I know.
    Good luck. xx

• It's always better to date someone who has the same beliefs as you, but nothing's keeping you from dating outside of your religion. For example, I'm Mormon (the REAL ones, not the ones who are narrow-minded and act as if we were a sect) and dating inside the religion is so hard cause there's so much pressure in getting married fast. Also, both genders have irrealistic expectations and ideals for partners. I mostly dated Mormon guys and they all were awkward, or I had that feeling that something was not right. The only "non-member" I dated acted normal and was actually "normal". So, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with it, but still, be careful. Family and opinion conflicts can be extremely overbearing.

• I would not date outside of Christianity. My religious views are at the core of who I am as a person and that's just too deep and personal to be at odds with the person I'm with.

• I'm Christian and slowly working on my relationship with God, I'm not sure what to call my boyfriend's belief system right now but I guess saying agnostic is good enough. It's extremely difficult and very frustrating and it seems like whenever that topic arises it almost always causes an argument. Things like this can make you look at your partner differently in the heat of the moment, but I do love him so very much. I look at him as a blessing and it doesn't seem he's opposed to change. I think if I focus on myself first he'll come around. I just so desperately want him to convert. I worry about where we'll both end up, but thinking about him hurts my heart so much more.

• Dont try to convert him. Just give him love :) and he will give it to you.

• Don't try to convert him. He will feel like his obligated to do so and might start feeling different towards you.

My gf's mom tried to do that to me by getting me to sleep over weekends and going with them to church.

• @Asker I'm still going to try, he believes in God he just doesn't do much with it. I'm encouraging him to develop a better relationship with him.

• I already had small crushes on people of other religions, but I don't think if I'll marry outside of my religion.
    Some of the reasons on why I think it's preferable to date fellow Muslim would be:
    - Would a non Muslim husband respect some of my religious choices? If someday I decide to wear the Hijab would he be ok with it? I mean I know some not very practicing Muslim guys who opposed the choice of their women who wanted to cover so let alone a non Muslim man?
    - Would he agree to raise our kids to become Muslim?
    - Would he do unislamic things such as drinking and set bad example for the children?
    In terms of morality and way of life, I don't see a big difference between religious people of the 3 Abrahamic religions, I get along extremely well with my christian and Jewish religious friends and we share many common views, but there are still some difference in a couple who can create clashes and disagreement.
    But with this being said, I'm talking about the average Muslim girl, some are less religous and sometimes do get married to non Muslim guys for example:
    Iman Abdulmajid is married to David Bowie who is agnostic
    Amal Alamuddin is married to Goerge Clooney who is agnostic
    Huma Abedine is married to Anthony Weiner who is Jewish

• This girl I like. She doesn't where a hijab in public. She said she does not like it and questioned why does she have to hide her beauty behind a hijab.

Raising kids is another thing. Is it a must that they should be raised Muslim if the other half is Muslim? What if the child one day decides he wants to change over to the fathers religion or the father wants the son to follow his religion if a couple has a boy because the father would want the son to follow him.

• You can't be***

• Not wearing a Hijab doesn't necessarily mean she's not religious, I don't wear it and I consider myself religious ^^
      But like I said it really depends on the girl

• I used to think I could do it but after my last relationship with a guy who was agnostic I decided I likely won't date someone with different belief systems again. It was just a mess. I personally prefer someone with a similar outlook and more or less a similar belief system.

• If her and her family are true followers of islam. She will be strongly recommended to not be with someone who is not muslim.

• yes as long as his views aren't too extreme, he doesn't try to convert me, and he doesn't make me go to church or raise our kids (way into the future tho) his religion. they should get to choose.

• Obviously. I dated atheist while I'm a follower of Hinduism and Buddhism.

I know one of my Muslim friends from Pakistan married a German guy this year. Yes, it was really difficult but they loved each other. Her parents aren't aware of her wedding yet.

Another one. One of my other friends married a Muslim girl and he is a Hindu himself. Their parents had problem when they were dating but soon accepted the things.

I think it all depends on mindset of how open people are for love and other communities. :)

• I'm a Christian, and I'd rather much prefer to be with someone that shares the same beliefs as me. However that doesn't mean I wouldn't date an atheist either, as long as they respect my religion and doesn't ask me to give up on my religious views, then I don't see why not.

• I'm non-religious and I would not date a religious person.

• My husband is Christian, and I am Muslim. So... I did. But I think it is best to stay inside your religion just because things are so much easier.

• no i wouldn't. too complicated.

• im christian and im dating an agnostic guy and its amazing tbh. he's amazing. as long as you're not like criticizing her beliefs itll be fine.

• intrafaith (e. g. protestant with catholic) - maybe... at least you'll have the same core beliefs while the process may be different

interfaith (e. g. christian with muslim) - never. even if you consider yourself not that religious, once the relationship gets very serious the differences will stick out too much and become too much to bear

i've been with a muslim and their religion is just so radically different from any religion i came across. wouldn't do it.

• yes, I would. I'm not really religious, altho I my core believes tempt to be somewhat simular to Buddhism. But as long as one's moderate on their religion, I'd date him (or her :P )

• It's depends on the girl herself. If she's really religious than I don't think you should pursue her as she won't date someone outside her religion. But then that's just an opinion as I have seen a lot of my friends (that muslims and some are religious) date someone not muslim and have a good relationships.

• I would if they aren't pushy about it. Too many times have I tried dating a guy but they just give me this really dirty look when they find out I'm an Atheist.

• I'm agnostic; I'd date a religious person, as long as their religious views didn't greatly afflict my life or them as a person.

• are you you going to change your religion to ISLAM? if you are looking for one night stand or a relationship without considering marriage just leave the girl alone.. we date outside of our religion in one case if the other part is welling to convert.

• Nope I'm not going to change. I already told her that I will marry a Muslim girl but stay my religion and her family will have to respect that. She said nothing to me and just acknowledged it.

I was just hinting to her but her silence gave me my answer.

• Wow. Stop shouting

• am nor shouting -.-

• I don't really have a religion, but I would prefer if he was Christian or catholic, along the lines of believing in one God. As long as he isn't fanatic it should be ok.

• No, that would be hard for me to do because I might forget and end up saying something to offend them. I wouldn't want to do that so I'll just date other Christians.

• I don't have one, so yes.

• It's not favorable, but I guess so.

• if you are interested go for it fuck religion

• I would but my family will definitely be against it plus there's a lot of problems that go with it

• i would date someone outside of my religion as long as they respected my beliefs

• I can't. It would really fuck with me. I deeply believe in my religion and philosophy of living, I couldn't bare someone not being on the same mentality. I seek truth and nothing less, can't have someone trying to cloud that.

• yes i would date outside my religion

• More from Girls
    7

What Guys Said 36

• I've thought of it before. With certain religions where family honor is #1 you will be forced to choose between her or converting.

• I'm agnostic but I have a very great respect for the history of religious thought and how it has contributed positively to society. I think I'd date anyone who is either Muslim, Agnostic, Christian or Jewish. I'm not too sure about pagan religions, full blown atheists, Buddhists or Hindu conceptions and with all due respect to these religions and their followers who have in fact did great things in the world as well. I don't think logically, they begin to ask or attempt to answer the more deep philosophical questions the Muslim, Christian or Jew has already begun to try to explain.

I'm not into religious fanatics either. I think they have to be open minded and just in search of truth.

• I'm an atheist, but I would date even some religious girl, but only if she wouldn't try to impose her religion on me.

• I'm atheist and don't really care as long as they aren't bigots. And as long as they think about religion and are comfortable with talking about it. I love talking about religion and think it's very fun.

• No i would not.

• Yeah. So long as what you believe works for you and you aren't going to shove it down people's throats, I'm good.

• really depends on how strictly they follow their religion, because I'm not religious at all.

• It depends, as you have to figure out if you'll be compatible, cause what you love to do, it could be against her religion. So it's on how much you like her, and how you'll work around these problems.

• Makes a lot of sense and you have a point. It's a tough one though but who knows that differences might be sorted and then we'll be happy to be apart of each others lives. Hope it makes sense

• @Red7336 no it does not make it right but religion is like segregation. Divides us by culture and belief systems that have been put in place and indoctrinated us to believe so and so we are cut off when we do something out of or unacceptable outside of our religion or culture.

• So if I there can be interracial marriages what's wrong with crossing over to another religion and respecting each other.

But ya I guess people complicate the gs for themselves in this day and age.

• I have no problem dating a girl of another religion i would highly respect her views on her religion i think it's kind of silly to judge but if her parents wouldn't allow her to date me i would respect that as well.

• My "religion" is my lack of religion, and I'd prefer to date someone who is also not religious whatsoever.

• If u r not a Muslim then she can't have any relation with u as for me it's a preferably thing to date outside my relgion but I don't really know?

• Hehe I was passing by.

You meant u prefer to date outside ur religion?

• What do you mean she can't have any relation? What kind of closed minded opinion is that? No offense. I am very open minded and I grew up with Muslim friends. I've dated for a short while before. I have Muslim family as well and I don't see any thing wrong with all of the above.

• If u r Muslim then she can marry u if nit she can't have any relation besides friendship with u

• Religion plays no role in making my decision whether I want to pursue a lovely lady!

• I'm not religious and I don't date believers of any kind, whether it's religion or new-age magic or whatever.

• I wouldn't if it meant becoming religious.

• Yes, why not.
    I honestly don't care of what kind of religion a woman follows because I look for personality and beauty in a woman. If she is pretty and is everything that I ask for. I would go out with her even if we have opposite religion. As long as we both seem to love each other of who we are. I'll be with her.

• I would not date any religious person. I know there are a lot who are just religious on paper when in fact they are not, that's fine. But someone with a really strong belief is just not going to work out for me.

• I could never do that. I am the complete opposite of what a religious person should be like, any way.

• I do all the time :)

• As long as she didn't try to force her beliefs onto me, I would date outside my religion.

• Is this question only for people with religions?

• Anyday baby 💏

• I wouldn't date a religious woman.

• I'm an Atheist myself.

I could date a religious person, as long as they're not overly pushy about their religion. Evangelical types get shown the door.

• I odnt have a religion so yes. But if the further partner is too religious, no way.

• I'm atheist and they either have to be atheist, agnostic or non-practicing Christian.

• I am an extreme atheist and can hardly stand next to someone who publicly expresses his beliefs in any God.
    But if you are interested in some muslim girl, why do you ask us whether we would date outside our religion? Just do it man.

• I'm an atheist, so that won't be a problem.

• I wouldn't mind, Usually I wouldn't wanna date a very religious girl though

• Yeah its okay

• I would if I really like the girl , my religion is ok with it anyway

• More from Guys
    6