How to recognize a "safe" guy?

My previous and also first ever relationship was violent. Now I met this guy online and we have spoken for nearly a year every day. We have been talking about meeting in person and I have expressed to him that I'm very uneasy about it (he does not know about my past) and he has been reassuring me that I have nothing to be worried about and that if we do meet it will be completely on my terms. Can I take things such as him having two younger sisters and quite a few female friends as a sign that he really is the good guy I think he is.. It's just I've been wrong before and that scares me to death.

Most Helpful Guy

• You can never know until you meet him in person. He's clearly interested if he has been talking to you for almost a year, I mean, that doesn't sound like a behavior of someone that will harm you, but who knows.
    You must have some sort of trust on him since you keep talking to him, so take the next step and meet up at a public place, like a park or a coffee shop.
    I know you're scared of getting in another violent relationship, but you have to set that fear apart cause you need to move forward with your life. What if this is the man you'll marry? You never know, you gotta take a chance.
    For the first few dates meet him in public places until you can trust that he's a good guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• You never know what someone's capable of until you get to know them. Just exercise precautions

What Guys Said 1

• you won't know until you two are close and spend time together alone, abusive people are often very good at hiding that part of them selves.

What Girls Said 1

• Meet him in a very public place like a mall and talk get to know him better there. Diot let him walk you out to your car or drive you anywhere.