I'm almost 100% positive that my best friend is being catfished. What do I do?

He started talking to this girl that he met on an anonymous messaging app. They started texting, and talking on the phone, and by day three she'd told him she loved him, and he said it back. He says they're boyfriend and girlfriend now, and they discussed meeting each other's parents, and marriage, and babies. I got mad at him. We argued, and I told him that there was no way that what he was experiencing was love. He's quite upset with me now, as am I with him. Then I started thinking about the facts I knew about this girl. There was so much inconsistency, and so many things that didn't add up. And they still haven't met yet. She's come up with an excuse every time. He had sent me screenshots of his convo with her, so I copied her number off that and searched it on Facebook (according to this girl, she didn't have a facebook because she had an abusive ex boyfriend who was stalking her). Only one person showed up in the search results. A woman who definitely did not match the name or picture that my friend showed me. But the info was the same. She lives in the same place, she has the same job, she has the same pets...
I guess there's an off-chance that I could be wrong? But I mean, I searched the number, and only one person came up. So I don't know what to do now. He's so mad at me, and I've made such a big deal about this, that there's no way he'd listen to me, but I'm also worried about him now.

I haven't mentioned any of my suspicions to him. I don't think he'll listen to me at all, which is why I haven't said anything. But everyone seems to figure I should at least tell him that I don't think things are adding up? Or should I go as far as to show him who comes up when I search her phone number?

Most Helpful Guy

• All you can do is warn him. Why don't you tell him to give up on her and have you instead?

• Well I don't want him that way, soooo how about I don't.
      Anyway, he's so blinded by "love" and desperation that he refuses to see things as they are. He's smitten, and he won't listen to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• Could you find her on the app and message her yourself? Maybe ask her why when you search her number another women comes up? Or perhaps you could call her and maybe pretend to be an employee from a bank wanting to go over some suspicious card activity and get her to confirm her name or something?

What Guys Said 4

• Let him fall for it. You warned him. You did what you could. Now it's up to him.

• All you gotta do is ask him to ask that Person to send him a picture holding a piece of paper up with his name on it.

• See, I would. Or even suggest that they Skype or something. But he's mad at me and thinks I'm being unreasonable, so I feel like I can't even suggest that. He's gonna end up hating me forever.

• Well like my update said, I haven't even mentioned my suspicions to him. He thinks that because I'm not super happy and excited for him I'm being a bad friend.

• Oh okay. Well just tell him why and if he understands and doesn't get mad try to get proof.

• I don't know. I'm guessing just let him find out if he is. All you can do is warn him.

• It does sound like it, could be scammed into sending money next so be aware. At least your seeing from the outside what is going on

What Girls Said 0