Are most women materialistic?

http://www.MSN.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/fear-factor-these-money-scares-are-keeping-americans-up-at-night/ar-AAe8UTN?li=AA4Zjn

So women are more likely to focus on money than men. My concern is that most women I date love money a bit too much and statistics seem to prove that.

• Yes they are
  • No they aren't

Most Helpful Girl

• Some PEOPLE are materialistic. It has nothing to do with gender. You get materialistic people in both genders. I'm not materialistic and I'm actually very hard working in terms of my career and financial goals. The notion that women aren't kicking ass in the work place and are all after guy's money needs to stop. Plenty of women are out there being independent and making a name for themselves without relying on a man. Most students at my university are ironically women and most of my uni's top achievers are women too.

• But most the top achievers in the stem fields are men, and that makes far more money, men overall still earn a lot more than women. Women are naturally hypergamous, since 1% of men can knock up all women (thus 99% of men are superfluous to reproduction) resources and how the man can take care of the family is more important to women, while men don't care about the money a women makes.

• @fuuuark

You think the only thing a woman can offer men is sex? Gtfo. Im done.

• No, but it is by far the main thing, the biggest bargaining chip she has

What Girls Said 14

• I skimmed over the article and I don't see what you're complaining about.

Always living paycheck to paycheck is the No. 1 financial fear of Americans today, followed by living in debt "forever."

- 20% of Americans say "planning for retirement is their primary financial focus."
    - Men are more afraid than women of "losing money in the stock market, losing their jobs and not being able to retire."
    - Women are "more fearful" of always living paycheck to paycheck than men (25% vs. 18%).
    - Planning for retirement is "more of a financial challenge for men than it is for women "(20% vs. 17%).

So to sum up, people are worried about not having a stable financial future. Women are a bit more concerned about financial stability than men, while men are a bit more concerned about not being able to provide for their family. Shocker! But what is so bad about that?

Unless you're gonna go live an abandoned bus in the Alaska wild, like Chris McCandlees, money is going to be a major part of your life. And apparently a lot of guys have trouble telling gold digging apart from worrying about stable finances.
    Striving for stability and safety is normal. Not striving for it, is what's weird.

Like honestly I have no idea what you're complaining about? Really what is it? Because it sounds like you have your head in the clouds a little

• You skimmed it. You didn't read it. " More women than men say their "number one" thought is money." Try reading the full article next time.

• You do realize this wasn't an article about relationships though? It was about financial concerns that people have.

It didn't say the "top 5 things women look for in men" or even "things that cause tension in relationships" it said "These money scares are keeping Americans up at night"

• I realize that. The point of the article being their was for me to emphasize that even under stress women emphasize money more so than men and overall.

• #generalisation224 some are, many aren't.

• First of all the definition of materialism: a way of thinking that gives too much importance to material possessions rather than to spiritual or intellectual things/the belief that only material things exist.
    The article is not stating that women are more materialistic. This article is all about short term and long term financial worries. Women tend to be long-term thinkers, not wanting to take too much financial risks. Financial worries does not equal materialism.

• I think background, environment, education and age will have a lot to do with whether they are or not. We are bombarded with messages about what to buy, how to look, what is considered "right" all the time and it does get under people's skin.

• They are just as materialistic as men :)
    I personally would probably choose to focus on my career first rather than love life so yeah you could say I'm materialistic, too but everyone who knows about the importance of money is.

• Damn this site is a bees nest for asswholes.

• I think most PEOPLE are materialistic.

• You can not generalize about women like that. It's same thing when women say that most men only care about sex. My opinion on this is that No, they aren't. Some women are, but I believe it's not the majority of it.

• Despite I'm female, I gotta say yes.
    However, I do save money and I'm not into luxuries and stuff. Waste of money.

• No, not most women are materialistic.

• I'm focused on money, so that I'll have enough for my children. My boyfriend doesn't have money or have money sense. Only me.

• Most women AND men are materialist.
    But you only asked about women so the answer is YES most women are materialistic.

• Lie , no we are not.

• can't really generalize like that. Like I have some rich guys and doctors who likes me but at that time, I chose a high school graduate over them because he seemed much more genuinely nice.

What Guys Said 14

• Women care a lot about money. They'll just deny it if you directly ask them and say they care more about "PERSONALITY".

• 1) In many ways, particullarly financially, women TEND to be more practical than men.
    2) From a biollogical perspective women want a man who can provide and protect for them and their ofspring (thus money and power are pretty attractive).
    3) Shallow materialistic people (of either sex) are less likely to put the effort in to make a relationship work (unless they can land a rich one).
    4) After one experience of those materialistic people you are likely to be a tad sensative to the more normal levels of materialism.
    5) there's always the chance you are atracted to the sort of people who are materialistic. The shallow barbie girl types.

• When the mansession hit, the last recession where nearly all jobs lost were men's jobs, the divorce rate skyrocketed from women dumping their now low income husbands.

So the men women love with all their hearts, the ones they committed to for life, for better or for worse are tossed to the curb by the millions if the dollah bills coming in each month get lower. Many!! women would rather live single, with children in poverty then with a man to help with the children in poverty and hope of the future being better then right now financially.

• Men are lazy slobs that just think with their dicks, women are materialistic. blah blah blah generalizations.

• I see materialistic as being consumed by material things. That stuff comes first in their mind. Over friends, lovers, family. All of it. So I don't think most girls are like that, but quite a few are.

• Not all of them in my experience.

• more women voted no than men voted total. More women also voted yes than men voted no... I see your greed and raise you envy.

• Some are; many aren't.

• Not any more than men.

• I think most women are materialistic

• yep,... looolol..

• But when you find one of the few that isn't, its just so nice.

• Lol at anyone saying they are not, women naturally look for resource for them and their potential offspring in a partner, hypergamy refers almost exclusively to women for a reason, women have more sexual worth than men (bateman's principle), so men will need to trade more than just their offer of sex to get sex most of the time, monogamy was only invented so most men can get sex, and most women can get security, it's always been a form of prostitution in which women sell sex.

• An experiment was done where women were asked to rate photos of men. Each guy they were to rate was given a 'fake' job that payed moderately.
    When the jobs were changed to something that payed more money, women rated the men's looks higher.
    Yup. Their pretty materialistic.

• Yea, I saw that statistic and then most women on here will say don't make generalizations

• Women always love denying

• Never believe what a woman says. They will say anything to seem wonderful. The reality is very few women are wonderful.
      Never trust what a woman says. Trust her actions.