Do you think marriage is overated in this day and age?

IF rather yes or no, what are your reasonings?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes marriage is way to overrated. The way I feel right now is I never want to get married. Marriage costs a lot of money and so many people these days don't stay married. When that happens the guy pretty much never gets considered as much for custody of kids, often even if he is the better choice and it seems that he has to give half of everything he has ever worked for. So many people can't stay together anymore and separate on the most stupidest little things. Then there is the way I have been treated constantly by girls. :( I am sorry not trying to sound so negative but the idea of marriage for me is a turn off. This could change but I don't think it will. :(

• Marriage or any relationship for that matter can be a bliss when you find the right person. The choice is essential. So is a prenup.

• @happypuppet well I am not happy without a girlfriend. Just after 33 years of it I have lost hope. Anyway girls are not that great in relationships, just like most guys are not that great in relationships either. This is why I see marriage as an old outdated thing that does not fit into modern society. I have actually thought about giving up on girls and focusing on animals because of the fact I am not aloud to be loved.

• What I learned in my current relationship is that most days it's not so shiny. I love him and he loves me. Both of us have plans for the future and we are trying to find a compromise so that everyone will be happy. We tolerate and help each other when the other person is going through a bad time. Honesty, communication and respect are all necessary to make the relationship work.
      I don't care about marriage per se. I want a lifelong commitment. It's because I find it really hard to trust a person. It took me a couple of years to be able to open up to a person. If I had to do this every five years or so, I would probably kill myself.
      With all that said, I don't believe monogamy is natural (to humans). I believe it's a choice anyone can make. I believe you need someone you can trust in this era when you have to always think twice before saying anything because you never know when someone will use it against you.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, It's underrated.

Random Benefits of Getting Married in the US:

1. For immigrants ~ US Citizenship

2. Tax Purposes: You will receive a higher refund check filing jointly.
    there's More: blog.turbotax.intuit.com/.../
    turbotax.intuit.com/.../INF12006.html

3. Medical coverage if you don't have it but your spouse does.

4. You have more protection if your spouse dies. “If one passes away without a will, the state is going to dictate where your assets go,” Toal says. If your significant other still has parents and siblings in the equation when that happens, they may receive assets over a nonrelated boyfriend or girlfriend.

5. If your significant other is in a car crash, you may have more difficulty seeing him or her at a hospital if you aren’t a blood relation or a legal spouse. And if a judge has to name someone to make healthcare or financial decisions on behalf of your partner, you may be overlooked in favor of a parent or sibling if you aren’t married. “What if the parents of the other person don’t like the significant other?” Toal says. “They will be in court battling for control of everything.”

6. You can receive Social Security benefits. “Spouses have the option of filing for a spousal benefit, which gives them the potential to collect up to 50% of the other spouse’s benefit amount,” says Michael Lynch, vice president of strategic markets for Hartford Funds in Radnor, PA. There is also the possibility for a larger benefit upon the death of a spouse, he says. Imagine, for instance, that you are collecting $1,000 a month in Social Security benefits and your spouse is collecting $1,200 a month. If your spouse dies, you could start collecting survivor benefits of $1,200—a $200-per-month increase. As a domestic partner, you have no such option.

7. You can receive survivor’s benefits from a pension plan. If your spouse is lucky enough to have a pension, and they’ve elected to have survivor’s benefits, you will continue receiving pension benefits after he or she dies. “The benefits are the biggest thing,” says Ted Toal, a financial planner with Rockwood Wealth Management in Annapolis. “Especially for those who are older.”

8. You’ll qualify for an estate tax marital deduction. When one spouse dies, his or her estate passes to the surviving spouse, tax-free. That’s not true for domestic partners, and even though the federal exemption is fairly high—currently $5.34 million—the exemption in some states is low enough to catch even moderate estates.

• 9. IRA Benefits - An Individual Retirement Account can be used a few ways in the course of a marriage, including rolling over a deceased spouse's IRA to your own, or you can contribute to a spousal IRA, which is an account that lets an employed spouse contribute to an unemployed spouse's retirement account. There's one caveat, though: You must file a joint tax return to do this.

10. Prenuptial Agreement Benefits, dividing assets fairly between the spouses should the marriage end - Domestic partnerships don't have this.

11. Leave Benefits - Through your employer you can usually take a family leave if your spouse is sick, or bereavement leave if your spouse or someone in your spouse's immediate family passes away.

• 16. Buying A Home - It seems unfair, but married couples usually have an easier time buying a house. Mortgage companies often see domestic partners as high risk for a home loan because they might break up and have to sell the house before it’s paid off. Of course, it’s true that married couples can break up as well, but they would legally have to divide assets, so it’s still a safer investment for mortgage companies.

17. Insurance Savings - Most insurance companies offer discounts for family coverage, but this goes beyond health insurance! If you and your spouse share an insurance company, you could get discounts on car insurance for having multiple vehicles, and a more affordable home insurance for being a family.

18. Adoption - Adoption if you’re single or unmarried isn’t impossible, of course, but it’s infinitely easier if you’re married. This applies whether you’re adopting a baby from another country or your partner’s children from a previous marriage.

• Pretty much all the reasons why gay couples were fighting for the right to marry.
      www.theknot.com/content/benefits-of-marriage
      www.forbes.com/.../
      money.howstuffworks.com/.../...its-of-marriage.htm

What Guys Said 21

• I think it is under rated...
    Many people can't handle a relationship or choose wrong people and get heartbroken... so they are afraid of marriage which should only be done if two people are right for each other and believe in monogamy...

It is not for faint hearted!!! Not for everyone..! And obviously not for promiscuous people...

• That's what I am saying. People give up to damn easily. It's pathetic honestly.

• Yeaa I know.. LOL 😊
      Its really pathetic..

• Yeah its a bunch of crap and women don't really believe in love that's just their way of tricking men into providing for them.

• I think that's the most ignorant comment on here. I am very finically independent woman. I can live very well with just me. I've never once asked my boyfriend for money and never will. Maybe you need to like better women. Or a woman period, not a girl. A true woman knows she doesn't need a man or his money.

• And because you are very financially independent you probably iwll never get married our none of your future marriages would work out.

• It's fucking underrated.

• No I just think most people aren't up to snuff with actually dealing with marriage. It can be a great thing if the two people are mature enough and selfless enough to deal with the struggles that they'll face for the sake of their lover more so than themselves.

• I believe love should be a goal, not marriage. To love each other for years in a relationship. If two people can learn to love themselves, then a lover, be committed, loyal, and all that other mushy nasty stuff then I think it's OKAY. I do not believe a paper should define my love. Essentially, the devil created marriage, and go said it was okay. That's if I read that portion right xD regardless, if marriage is someone's goal it will end in divorce. Love shouldn't be forced.

• Agreed. Love is something only you can create. Not something someone tells you is there. For me I don't particularly care about marriage but if I met someone that I fell in love with and they wanted marriage and for the right reasons because it truly did mean something special to them then I would marry them. If I met someone that didn't want marriage because it didn't mean something to them I could still as easily be fully committed to them.

• The problem is people want to bail on relationships at the first obstacle.

• No I still see it in the traditional sense. Just because a some marriages were cheap doesn't mean mine will be.

• Definitely yes, marriage is just a bureaucratic pact. It's superfluous. If you want to be committed to one another, then just be committed! You don't need to sign any papers if you truly do trust each other. I mean, this shouldn't be a business arrangement; not anymore, anyways.

• It is like anything-what you make it

i was married for 22 years

• Lol its always been like that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laXQv7zvbp4

• Overrated... no why would it be

Humans feel a sense of accomplishment by building things, by being constructive. It's how we evolved into a phase 1 advanced species

Marriage is about bring constructive... when you die of old age and you know you've had and built such a strong bond with one man or women for the last 50 years... I'm sure you'd die a happy person no matter what happens

• No In dont think so. Under God Its still the same Awesome way to go

• I will probably marry one day, but not because I fully support the concept; rather I would do it for my parents and my parents-in-law. They still value it highly and if I can make them happy by doing it, that's fine with me.

• Nope and and mindset will never change.

• I think the real question is why, I am not agreeing or disagreeing. I honestly go both ways in the entire subject!

• My parents, their marriage is one of the reasons I'm inspired to find one like it one day, among other reasons that are personal and the people on here are not privy to seeing.

• Marriage is an evil institution hellbent on wreaking havoc on the lives of men its better being dissolved.

• Yes, personally I just don't belive in love :c

• Yeah I dont belive you dont need marrige to be in a happy and long relationship

• It is underrated. No marriage - no society. Everything breaks down.

• I mean yes and no. I believe some people are meant for it because they have the mindset and all that snazz... Then some people... Like my dad just shouldn't.

• Yes, marriage is a failed institution. At least in the USA, the divorce rate has stayed right around 50% since 1975. And if you get married a second or third time, the divorce rates are even higher.

• where there is sex free society and sex common it has no meaning

• Yes. Women have more rights these days, and don't need marriage as much as they used to

• Marriage is retarded, outdated, and exploitative. Fuck it. Marriage should die.

What Girls Said 7

• no i dont and probably never will.

• (laughing)
    My view will ALWAYS be "Monogamy is UN unnatural" x 1000000000000000 :)

• I think marriage is a beautiful blessed Union. It's not overrated at all

• Not overrated but obsolete. Very obsolete.

• no, marriage makes for better homes and families and science has proved it.

• I don't care if people get married but I'm not trying to get married

• I love my best friend so much that I want to tie our families together and make our own little branch together. You can't do that unwed... I think this is a really cool aspect of marriage, so I don't think it's over rated.

• My friends parents have lived together for over 24 years and have kids. They just never got married and don't have joint bank accounts. If shit hits the fan they can easily walk away

• My grandparents have been married for 45 years, don't have a joint bank account, have two children and actively make large financial donations to foundations... Shit hits the fan, that's life and you work through it. We will not walk away from each other.