There's an advanced placement highschool student who takes my Stat class at college, and I like her. She's 17, I'm 20, is that socially acceptable?

She's smart (obviously), cool, and pretty mature. I want to ask her out, but I don't know if that would be considered ok.

I know that in my state it's covered by the Romeo and Juliet laws, and I know that it just barely passes the half plus 7 rule, but at that age group I just feel like it's a little bit weird.

Would you consider 17 and 20 to be ok?

• It's ok.
  • It's not ok.
I don't know if this would have any affect on your answers, but I look younger than 20. Maybe about 18.

Most Helpful Girl

• It would really be better if she were 18, but if it is alright with her and her parent (s) then go for it. I would really get the parental consent before becoming involved with her. I went through a similar program, starting at 16, so I can see where it might lead to issues if the parent (s) don't agree with it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Using the divide by 2 add 7 rule let's see how you do:

(20 √∑ 2) + 7 = 17 years old

Looks like you are totally cool from a social acceptability perspective.

• What? XDDD

• Well, I stand corrected.

What Girls Said 18

• That's totally fine, it's only 3 years and she's 18 very soon, no worries. It would be weird if you were 25 and she was 17 though.

• my boyfiend and i are 3 years apart,, he's 21 and Im 18

• How did your parents react when they found out that he was 3 years older than you?

• My parents knew him personally and he's really good friends with my dad. They were surprised but took it well

• I read the comment and you said a long-term relationship? I don't see why you should bother, you both are at the prime time of your lives.

• Yeah its not ok until she's 18

• Yeah it's fine, there isn't much of a difference anyway.

• your age difference is pretty small, i think it's all right.

• Honestly, the age difference doesn't bother me, it's the fact that it's someone who isn't an adult and someone who has been an adult for 2 years. I'm mostly concerned about her parents being ok with it.

• A long term relationship is what I had in mind. Of course it takes two people to make that decision, I'm just kind of trying to make sure long term is an option.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

• yeah, you seem like a decent guy, hope it works out for you :)

• not tell she is 18

• i believe its okay if your intentions aren't just sexual. maybe there's even a Romeo and Juliet law in your state. which means if you are three years a part it is legally okay.

• It's okay. I had a 20 year old boyfriend back when I was 17.

• My fianc√© is 5 years older than me. I graduated at 16 and met him in college a few months later. Go for it :) goodluck! And remember nothing is illegal until you have sex! Lol

• It's only three years and she seems really ahead of her age

• No. It's not OK. You should be ashamed

• You should be ashamed.

• I don't know, I'm talking out of my ass. How can lil'wayne not see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?

• Lol I don't know

• I think it's okay.

• Look my friend (who is 20) is dating a 40 year old guy. Now that s an issue. 17/20 is AOk

• I had a friend that had that happen to him but it didn't end well when the parents found out.

• Once she's 18, it's all good. So if she is turning 18 soon-ish, I don't see a problem.

• I'm getting tired of these troll questions

• I think it's weird if you date her and a 20 year old men would be getting to know teenage friends

• Me and my boyfriend are 2.5 years apart, and when we started dating I was 15, and he was 18. I'm now almost twenty and we're still together. If you're upfront and honest with both your parents and intentions there should not be a problem. Romeo n Juliet in my state is three years.

What Guys Said 14

• It'll be interesting to see what people say. I wouldn't have done this cause it just feels weird, but maybe its ok.

• If you care for her, it's fine. My dad is 13 years older than my mom and they are still in love and stuff. Age isn't such a big deal.

• You are right to feel weird. I think high school completion is a pretty bright line that should not be crossed. Anyway, unless she continues attending the same college after high school, you will not be able to date her so it's probably better to not start.

• These idiots voting No simply think that this 1 year is gonna make a huge difference in her and she is gonna become a real , smart adult. OK ! I get it ! Her mind isn't fully developed. That doesn't mean that she is a little kid that doesn't know how to make choices ! People voting no are like : "She is still a kid. Dont date her you fucking pedophile..."

• It's fine as long as it's legal. My parents started dating at those ages and have been married for 45 years.

• It is either right or wrong.

I know people who went to prison for it, so it must be wrong.

• As long as you don't have sex with her yet, there shouldn't be a problem.

• That's all good. I'd date a 20-year-old (and as you can see, I'm 17 at the moment).

• I think it's fine, just wait for her to turn 18, it's normal to have these feelings.

• cough *statutory* cough.

• If you like her, and she likes you, just go for it. Fuck what everyone else thinks-- it's none of their business.

• doesn't matter if its socially acceptable, go with if its ok with you

• Well, hanging wallpaper is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Clean all the relevant surfaces, spread her out on the table, cover her with paste, and stick her up. Then you clean your brush, light your pipe, stand back and admire your handiwork.

• No the romeo and juliet laws cover 2 year differences. You're 3 years apart.

Don't...

• In my state the law is 4 years.

• Regardless those laws don't actually make the crime go away. You still get charged and you can still end up on a sex offenders list just at a reduced length. You're being irresponsible by going after her. Just wait 1 year.