I hear that two important things in a relationship is communication and showing application. Is that the most important in a relationship?

So would it really help the relationship when i have a girlfriend to communicate with her by asking her things about herself, how her day has been, and what she is doing a lot. As well as making decision with us both being equal partners. And being honest and tell her how i'm feeling and thinking.
And do i show application by doing things like hugging my girlfriend telling her how happy i am to be with her and spend time with her whenever i am with her. Would it also be good to give my hypothetical girlfriend small gifts all the time to show my application.
Does it sound like i have the right idea?

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like you've got the basics covered ☺ It's only worth asking how her day is if you're actually interested, i've been with guys who asked a lot of questions but weren't interested in the answers and that just makes me think urgh as a girlfriend. Little surprises are nice, anything from flowers to little notes or even make her a favourite lunch for work as a surprise for when she wakes in the morning, give her a foot rub etc. Writing that is sounds like girlfriends are lots of works but they aren't... when you meet the right person everything will come natural and you will both be very happy I'm sure!

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Well, yes. It sounds like you got a good understanding of what you've heard, but you heard wrong.

What you're proposing is going to come out forced, and seem insincere. If she needs you to know how her day went, she should tell you (and you should listen). She has the same commitment to communication as you do. You can't make up for an inadequacies on her part by driving the conversation like an interrogation. Same with gifts. If you're giving them because you feel you should show her appreciation, then it's not sincere, but the result of essentially you emotionally blackmailing yourself. Meanwhile, you'll be conditioning her to receiving gifts all the time, "just because."

Whatever it is you decide to do, just be sincere about it. If it's a compliment or a gift (same thing), they need to be sparse, and well-placed.

P. S. It's "appreciation," not "application."

What Girls Said 12

• it sounds like you've got the basics covered~ if you take a genuine interest in her and being honest, you're on the right track.

a relationship requires 2 things~ trust and respect. if you don't have these two, it will not work.

you don't have to get her gifts, though you can do nice things. when my man and i were on different shifts, and even after he got laid off, he would have supper ready and leave little love notes for me to wake up to, or clean the house so that i didn't have to do it after work.

you don't need money to make us girls happy. it's the thought that counts. :)

• How long have you been together? What's her/your love background? Be carefull not to seem to needy by giving or calling too much as it might scare her away.
    Gifts are great but all the time and for no reason might be too much.

• It sounds like you've got the right ideal amd all the basics covered and it also sounds like you would be a great boyfriend 👌

• the communication is the most import thing in a relationship it's not necessary asking her about her day etc.. it's mean you too can communicate very well, specially in problems day.. you both know how to have a healthy relationship, but showing applications? that's so weird and annoying thing to be honest..

• All of these are great ideas, but some will be more important to some girls and some will be more important to others. Check out The Five Love Languages, and then just pay attention to what seems to make your girl feel loved. And don't forget to expect the same of her!

• What is "application"?

• Yes, yes you do!

• if there's no communication there's no relationship.

• Yes. Those two are the essentials

• You sound so sweet! She's a lucky girl :)
    That's exactly right
    About gifts- you don't need to spend lots of money on someone, but being thoughtful goes a long way.
    For eg my ex didn't have much money but he'd surprise me with cute dates or flowers or making me dinner etc.

• yes you're right.

• You don't really have to by her stuff. Some girls, like me, get wet over the slightest display of affection, like a kiss on the cheek or any diliberate skin contact. Communication is nessecary when you are frustrated or angry with one another. You need to talk about the issues in order to develop a plan to solve them. In my opionion, respect and trust are the most important. Without respect, there's no love, and without trust, there's nothing.

What Guys Said 7

• Don't give gifts all the time but a few surprises every once and a while. And trust me when you get into a relationship you will understand there is much more to it than this stuff.

• If you want to be a nice guy, sure.
    Just remember one thing, don't be the 'boring' guy.

Relationships are supposed to be fun and exciting~
    ^^ Oh & serious, when need be cause, Women. xD ( Kidding !! ) ;P

• i say money and returning her texts.

• sexual attraction is most important thing. when this dies, everything goes to hell.

• Relationships, are like a job. No, I know they say that of your treatin your relationship like a job, it's not going to be fun but, that's your own problem when it comes to how fun your relationship is. The point I'm trying to make is, if your successful in your job, you should be successful at a relationship because you're showing all the same things you'd do in your job, with your s. o. (Assertiveness, etc...)

• Don't open up too quick though, she should always have something wanting till your relationship gets serious

• A relationship is just two people who like each other bothing more nothing less Its nice but I dont see whats so "important" or serious about it. Again its just two people who like each other