Are you Sexually Racist?

Apparently if you are one of the many people with a racial "preference" that " preference " is actually racist. There is a new STUDY which explored that and I'm interest in what the community has to say. Especially those mwith "racial preferences" who claim to be not racist

• Yes
  • No
  • Other
I'm a low Xper so can't post links, so could some post the Australian study on "sexual racism" or just Google sexual racism and check the News results

Most Helpful Girl

• A racial preference doesn't equate to being racist. If you have a racial preference you just happen to be attracted to certain races more so than others but it doesn't mean you wouldn't date outside of that preference. If you're exclusively dating for race then yes that is racist, but there's a difference between a preference in which your options are still kept open vs. exclusivity.

• Did you read the study? I agree with what you are saying though. That is why I put preference in " " . The meaning has been distorted so much

• Pretty much everything I found was referring to gay men, but I think the whole thing was biased because clearly whoever wrote these articles do not know what a preference is. That's like harping on someone for liking apples more than bananas. And trying to shame them because bananas have potassium and other health benefits. No is saying they would never eat a banana they just happen to like apples more, and who knows? Maybe they've given plenty of bananas a try and there's just something about apples they desire much more. Catch my drift? Lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• I just had responded to a topic like this in another thread about racial preference and my comment was that racial preference in itself is not wrong, but being racially exclusive is pretty racist

Racial Preference = "I prefer to date Latina/Black women, but just because I prefer them doesn't mean I'll turn down a cute White or Asian girl."

Racial Exclusive (racist) = "I will never ever ever date a White or Asian girl because they are all ugly".

The study that you are referring to is about the racism in gays/bisexuals. After reading through the study, it seems pretty valid. The study did show that there is a correlation between being racially exclusive and having general racist tendencies (such as believing in racial stereotypes). That correlation in itself is pretty rock solid. I don't even think I could argue against it, even if I wanted to.

Also here your link but this one is from a blog.
    www.thedailybeast.com/.../...ence-it-s-racism.html

• Thank you! And I agree with all your points

• @koko124

Well that's your preference and you are a individual. You can't simply make generalization for an entire group just because they occur within you or several people.

I have a preference for Latina and Black girls, but I wouldn't exclude myself to just them, and this is coming from a guy who has rejected several girls in the past. Why? Because while I may have a preference, I can admit that I see beauty in all different type of girls.

I can understand your argument, but the reasoning behind is what I don't understand. How can you pinpoint the cause of a person being racially exclusive down to them simply having more options. That something that will require an extensive study on and as far as I know such study doesn't exist so where is your reasoning coming from?

• @Starrk

Women also have much lower sex drives than men. There are very few single women who masturbate every day, but very many single men who do.

A "drive" means you value the act first and foremost, and the details of the act are a secondary matter. It also means that the desire is inherent to your biology, and would arise without social conditioning. I like playing music, watching television, and having sexual release. If I was theoretically raised in solitary confinement, two of these things would be totally alien to me, and the other would come without fail at the age of ~13. A "drive" is not a hobby or a desire.

Think of it this way: if you felt hunger once every two months instead of several times a day, would your meal choices be any different? Would you primarily limit yourself to the best, most high quality meals, knowing that you would only want to eat 6 times a year?

What Girls Said 9

• I don't think you're a racist if you have a preference to the race you date. It's like saying that men who prefer blondes are racist towards brunettes. Personally, it just never happened to me, not because of preference but because I don't know that many people of different race anyway. And race itself isn't such a big hurdle to a relationship, as much as having a different culture, religion and values.

• Please read the study and tell me what you think. One of the others linked it.

• Not consciously but I, as everyone else, have internalized racial issues to work through.

• Thanks! Really mature response. Have you taken any definite steps to address the "internalised racial issues"?

• I mean, I live in a predominantly white area (and moved to an even whiter one and it's really weird) so it's difficult to address any issues without having to confront anything.

• Thats a load of crap.

• It may be. Could you elaborate your thoughts?

• Having a preference is only racist when you don't like the race because of stereotypes and when you have a belief that they are less than other races and lacking. When you say they are all ugly, stupid, etc.

• If he's hot that's all I care about.

• Yes. I really detest people who are inbreds in every 'race'. They carry dumb traits and suck in bed.

• having a preference is in no way similar to thinking one race is superior to another.

• But racist attitude s whether influence preference?

• All right. Thanks for your open mind...

• Always. God talk dude good talk

• I guess I'm sexually sexist because I'm not into women. Oh well.

• not at all!

• With indian men yes.

What Guys Said 18

• I wonder, does the study actually distinguish between racial preference and characteristics and traits that are commonly found in a given race. Those are two very different things.

• I don't know. Just read an article which links the study. Will have a look ww. researchgate. net/publication/279863184_Is_Sexual_Racism_Really_Racism_Distinguishing_Attitudes_Toward_Sexual_Racism_and_Generic_Racism_Among_Gay_and_Bisexual_Men

• Making me sign up to view it and I don't wanna try to access it via any other library so I'd just say this.

Of course people will present racism as a preferential decision because they aren't so open to saying yeah, i'm racist, that's kind of like one of those I've got a keen grasp of the obvious statements. The abstract doesn't say much but it focuses on gay and bi-sexual men so i'm sure there is a statement in the study that says the findings can't be applied to heterosexual men or women or gay/bisexual women. Though it seems reasonable to think it would. That being said, i'm guessing that while you can say there is a correlation, it was not presented as a causal factor and it also likely does not exclude that a persons preference really is just a preference and not racism.

• Do you trust these so called "studies?" Got a link to this one?

I'm getting so tired of people accusing others of being racist by having an ethnic preference for the men or women they date. It's only racism if you have bigoted and hateful feelings toward a person based on what they look like.

• well of course its racist lol

racism:the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races

by having a preference for race, you are claiming that race to be superior to another

• I suppose. There are some ethnicities that I'm less attracted to than others, and a couple that I'm not attracted to at all. But it's not my fault or anyone's fault to have these preferences as attraction cannot be controlled.

• Apparently attraction can be influenced if not directly controlled though? Now let's say you can't control your feels but you now know that they are racist, would you actively try to change or leave it as is ( I. e being now consciously racist)

• I guess I am, oh well
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I am not, I prefer white girl, but I would be open to the idea of all races.
    It is not racism to have a preference

• Two entirely different things.

My girlfriend is half black and half Asian and I am white. I ought to know.

• Do you have a preference though?

• My current girlfriend is not my ideal looking. My preference for looks is half Filipino and half white; the most beautiful women in the world.

In practice, it is a set of characteristics that can be in any race, although more common in some than others.

• As I said before and I'll say it again:

Black booty, white booty, green booty, purple booty. Booty is booty.

• My penis does NOT racially discriminate. It does discriminate against 1 gender. :x

• I have no racial preference so that means Im not racist,,, hmmm I already knew that

• I'm white. I live in a country full of white people. I'm used to only being around white people. Because of that I'm mostly attracted to white people. I'm not saying I can't fall in love with someone of any other race, but I usually find white people more attractive. I don't treat people of other races differently in any way, I don't discriminate against them, I just don't fall in love with them as easily. I'd keep my options open, I don't avoid other races, but it's a fucking preference and there's nothing racist about it.

• why am i racist exactly? :P if im into woman does that also make me homophobic?

• Two completely different entities. At its most simplest form it is discrimination, but let's look deeper please. If we have to stay on your simple level then YES, you are homophobic.

• It's not racist to have a preference.

• ww. researchgate. net/publication/279863184_Is_Sexual_Racism_Really_Racism_Distinguishing_Attitudes_Toward_Sexual_Racism_and_Generic_Racism_Among_Gay_and_Bisexual_Men

• Add a 'w' to the front and tell me what you think

• I looked at it. My opinion stands:
      I use Haile Selassie's war speech as my touchstone, if it's not bad to have an eye color preference then a skin preference is also fine.
      "that until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes;" Haile Selassie
      address to the United Nations, 1963

• There is nothing racist involved in sexual practices, many racists would happily take a person of another race to bed.

• You claim you just want to explore, but you only know too well that racism when brought up generates heated controversy, but I suspect in truth that is what you want. Tell me what race are you?

• light eyes + light hair rock.

That is all.

• I think most people who are sexually racist are that way do to exposure. Most of the people I know who have race preferences for relationships come from communities that are heavily racially uniform and rarely indulge in media outside of their culture. Your not gonna find a white girl that loves Kpop but thinks ALL Korean men are ugly. It's all about levels of exposure.

• Now we are getting somewhere. Folks are getting defensive, but I just wanna discuss and explore. You brought up a good point.

Now at your point are we not all human at the end of the day. Race is a social construct and we are heavily influenced by society. I believe that some people have bastardised the term preference to avoid exploring their potentially racist subconscious

• It's true that race is an outdated and inaccurate social construct but there are plenty of myths and inaccuracies that have lasting effects on human history and on human thought. I think there are plenty of people with racists ideas or racists tendencies that aren't intentional. As a black man living in Alabama I know for a fact a lot of people can be entirely oblivious to how racists their behavior is and still be kind hearted and respectable people. I've learned to accept that racism exist and with time and access to information it'll slowly get picked apart. So as long as I don't see purposefully violent or destructive behavior I just count up to human culture taking time to change.

• If I am, it's very very mild. I'm honestly not sure if I'm equally attracted to all races, I'd have to line up 100 women from each group and rate and have others rate and see if I'm biased, but... I'm certainly attracted to women of all groups.

I think preferences can be natural, but preferences shouldn't be absolute. Absolute rules sound like they are based on sexist views.

And preferences do matter, when they reinforce the preferences held by others.

• I don't have a preference but I do think on average some races are less attractive than others to me. Attractive people exist in every race but select a hundred of each race at random and there will be more attractive people in some races than others.