If it's a guys birthday and his girlfriend says "I want to take you out to dinner for your birthday." Should she pay, the guy pay, or split the bill?

Both the boyfriend and girlfriend have a good income good jobs and about equal economic standing in life.

• She should pay.
  • The guy should pay.
  • The bill should be split.

Most Helpful Girl

• She offered to take you out, she should pay. The asker should never ask unless they have the intention to pay. Plus it's your birthday, she should treat you even if it's just once. You could always just offer to pay a bit towards it if you feel guilty that she has to pay even though you shouldn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• She should pay but my live in girlfriend at the time had no money on our trip together so I had to pay for the both of us, well my mom gave me money for the both of us

What Girls Said 14

• If it's his birthday and she offered to take him out, then she should pay. I think that would be the thing to do. I mean she said she was taking him out after all.

• Lol well if you pay, then it really isn't a birthday gift anymore... "Happy birthday! Give me money!"

• The initiating person "taking you out" should be the one to pay. THEY are taking YOU. Not, "Let's go together," or "How about X, Y, Z?"

The one exception to this rule is if you insist on going somewhere you know they can't afford (which is in EXTREMELY POOR TASTE, BTW). If this is the case, then you should be prepared to pay whatever they can't.

• if it were me i would pay. that's something I'm doing for him, so it'd all come from me.

• I'm blown away that someone actually thought the bill should be split on her offer to dinner for his birthday.

• If this is the guy from earlier today, had she actually split the bill that would have been an improvement.

• I'm pretty sure that QAs girlfriend took him out and had him pay entirely. Didn't even split.

• @becca123 Oh, I only got to see the poll numbers and the one girl. She must've deleted her post. I feel bad for her boyfriend.

• If the girl suggests it she probably expects to pay for you, especially since it's your birthday

• She is the one taking him our so she should pay. That wouldn't make sense. "I'm taking you out for your birthday but you're paying." That would seem insulting honestly.

• Most guys would tell the girl to fuck off if she tried to pull that bullshit on them.

• She should pay. She's taking him out

• She is taking him out. She pays. Plus its his bday. Dude i dont pay if the chic os taking u out.

• Of course she should pay. She is taking you out after all.

• She offered and its his birthday

• She should pay obviously. I mean, it's HIS special day. It's only polite.

• if she offer to take you out, then she should definitely pay

• She should pay, it's his birthday. I paid for my boyfriends dinner on his birthday.

What Guys Said 6

• Oh god give me a fucking break on this one... Seriously the girl will pay..! Unless she has no money!!!

• How is she taking you out for your birthday if you are paying for it? Thats basically her inviting you to take yourself and her out for your birthday.

• She said "I want to take you out for your birthday". So did she actually mean that or what?

• I don't know I guess i'll know tomorrow. I think she will pay.

• I have gone out for my birthday, and paid. But I told the person I was going with that I was paying for them as my treat (I was just happy to spend it with them). That's different from this.

• She should pay, she is taking him out, and it is his B-Day. I honestly say unless the girl is unable pay the bill for whatever reason, then the boy should be left with no bill :P

• If it was me I would insiste to pay but obviously she wants to pay lol

• Who is taking who out to dinner? Picked A