Girls, How would your parents react if you brought home an Asian boyfriend?

Parents, how would you react if your daughter brough home an Asian boyfriend?

• They would be displeased
  • They would not care
  • They would be pleased

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents, or more like mom, didn't react the best to my telling them that my boyfriend is Chinese. Still doesn't.. Asks me if I 'really' like him, someone with such different cultural traditions and no religion of his own. Despite my enjoying myself very much when he invites me to join him to various family functions, she insists I'm going to feel like a foreigner if I continue frequenting these various functions. Not true at all, I couldn't be made to feel any more welcome.

She treat him politely, and I know I can't change her mind. If she refuses to let go ot her old-age traditions of marrying inter-culturally and religiously, so be it. I simply will not be able to abide by that.

• That's really cool!

I always thought if I brought my friends to traditional functions and events that l my relatives are part of, they'd feel alienated and exotic so I sort of keep them away.

Never really thought a lot of people would have an open minded attitude

• I mean of course it'll differ with each family and group of people. Initially I did feel a bit weird, not because of anything racial though. More because it was a whole new group of people, the fact that they speak Chinese with each other and I can't understand it didn't help! I got used to it though. Everyone makes an effort to somewhat include me, asking me a few questions in English or telling me something before returning to their conversation.
      I feel like they treat me better than my own social circle so definitively give it a try. You could be surprised. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Asians have to be the only race in America that has positive stereotypes. Asian immigrants are seen as the hardest working, most driven, most decisive kinds of people. The kind of people who are actually living the promise of the American dream by coming to a new country, working their butts off (and not complaining about), and raising their children to become doctors.

And they love their rights, too. Remember the LA riots? The Koreans banded together and armed themselves to the teeth to defend their stores from looters because the police were too scared to do it. And then the police kept demanding that they disarm themselves! Luckily they didn't.

But this is all talking about 1st and 2nd generation immigrants. Once they've fully assimilated into mainstream American culture, all races are pretty much the same.

What Girls Said 14

• I don't know, all the relatives gossiped hella lot when my cousin brought home a black boyfriend, I guess it'd be like that with an Asian boyfriend too. I don't think they'd care too much, but they'd be shocked and talk about it a lot 😑

• Would depend on his religion and his country and his appearance.

My parents expect me to bring home a white guy lol but they would also still judge him for his appearance. Is he covered in tattoos or piercings? How old is he? Etc. My parents are still conservative Asians

• My mom actually kind of expects it from me since Asian guys one at the top of what I find eye catching. I wouldn't date someone just because they're Asian, I just want someone who's personality can turn me on. A person could be ass ugly, but if they have a kick ass personality I'd fall for them. It wouldn't be the first time it happened. :T

• I supposed my mum wouldn't care bout it, my maternal grandma would be pleased (cause he's Asian duh) and the rest of my family - indifferent.

• My parents wouldn't care they know I'm into guys of every race.

• Bring home an Asian bf? If only! ^^

• They wouldn't care.

• That's kind of what my parents expected of me. It never happened though ^^

• pleased if he's a good person

• They would not care

• I'm Asian, so obviously they would be pleased, lol.

• I'm black and I live in the Bahamas. Mostly blacks here. My parents (like most people here) wouldn't give a damn lol.

• My dad would be pleased, my mom wouldn't really care as long as he treats me well.

• Well my mom ( and me) thinks that Asian guys are really handsome so I guess she would be happy :D
    But really it all comes down to his personality

What Guys Said 4

• Well your profile says you are South African so it is a totally different thing from America, but most people here are probably American. What kind of woman are you hoping to date, a black, an Afrikaner, a colored?

• Yea I guess, South Africans so much more conservative than Americans in the sense that they don't really have as much tolerance towards those opposing the norms.

I live in a very afluent area so I'm exposed to a lot of European South Africans and I find that they draw my attention the most.

• Of the 5 girls parents that I have met only 1 parent wasn't pleased. Her momma didn't like me cause I'm short ;(

• They would be confused "son? You are gay?"

• "Do you know kung fu and are you good at math?"