Do you believe you should or should not be friends first with someone you want to date?

How do you feel about this?

• I think you should be friends before you date the person
  • I think you should not be friends first before dating the person
  • It depends (please explain)

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should befriend them with them knowing you want something more than a friendship.

So, get to know them, but if you've liked them since day one, let them know that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ok I have litteraly zero experience with dating so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Personally for guys I think starting off as friends is a bad idea. Of course there are cases where it works but for the most part I think it's a waste. Think about it... how often do you see girls posting questions about how to get their platonic male friend to want more?

Not very often, right. You're much more likely to see girls asking about how to get their friends with benefits to want more.

I believe that just like girls often hurt themselves by becoming sexual too soon, I believe guys hurt themselves by waiting too long to express sexual interest.

like I said, just my opinion 😕

What Girls Said 6

• I think u can be either. U dont have to be their friend although its nice to know them on that level. However if u start off as strangers its also exciting to get to know each other better through the dating process.

It really depends on the amount of time people like to take before establishing what they have as a relationship. Thats how i see it anyway.

• "Should" isn't the case for everyone. I think people need to go about which ever way they are most comfortable.

For my personally, I prefer being friends first. Even if we hung out for a few weeks, that's good to me. I can observe how he interacts with others and me and see if I can date him. Once I get that feeling, I'll be intrigued and want to date him. If he doesn't ask me out, I will.

• I used to think you should, but I've changed my mind. I think it's best to attempt dating them immediately. that way you can avoid wasting a lot of time on someone you don't really have a chance with. plus, if you do start dating you can see sooner if you really like them because you get to see a different side of that person you wouldn't see as just friends.

• I think you should be friends with them first because you'll get a chance to know them better first before you decide to date them.

• I think acquaintanceship is the way to go. Get to know them first but not really friends, so it doesn't appear that all you want to date is their looks. If you're already good friends, many women are hesitant to *risk* that friendship for something that might not work out till the end. I think most relationship end before 2-3 years. It's not easy to be friends again and it's not easy to find a guy who is willing to just be a good friend.

• Bucuz u get to know each other

What Guys Said 5

• I believe you should be friends, only if you're mentally tough though.

You can't force someone to be sexually attracted to you, it just happens. If a female friend I was not attracted to wanted something more and I didn't, I wouldn't want her to leave. I would still think she's a great and funny person. As such, it's only fair I do the same if my romantic feelings were not reciprocated.

• I think people can start out as friends. I don't think the friendship can be long and well established though..

• Nope I'd never date a friend.

• There is merit to being with both friends and strangers.

• I think it would certainly help, but it's not necessary. The thing for me would be knowing when my feelings for her would be more than friendship AND working though the "I can't date her. She's my friend" feelings.