How to reject a guy gently without having to lie?

I don't want to hurt anyones feelings when rejecting them, but I'm not going to lie or date them if I'm not interested. I was wondering how to politly and gently reject someone where they will actualy get the drift that I'm not interested. I've tried just saying I'm not interested, but It's always followed by a why, or some desperate attempt to get me to 'see how perfect they could be for me.' I guess this is me asking for advice.
Guys, what rejection would be least painful for you?
Girs, what ways have you sucessfully rejected a guy without hurting his feelings too much?

Most Helpful Guy

• You should be honest with them, if you lie and say you have a boyfriend, then will continue pursuing girls. If you're honest, then they will work on changing themselves such as going to the gym etc to become more attractive.

Being honest that you don't find them attractive will make them work on their flaws and will make them more attractive for other girls in the future. So it's constructive.

Most Helpful Girl

• Always be honest. If he fights back then it doesn't matter. You must say the truth because otherwise you're causing way more pain by resorting to other tactics like disappearing or fading out. That shit hurt tons more cause you don't know what went wrong.

What Guys Said 4

• Just be honest...
    Bullshit stories always come undone in time, and then just appear too condescending

• Maybe, "Soery, you're not my type." It's truthful and not as hurtful because it implies subjectivity, that you personally don't find him attractive but that doesn't mean others won't.

• You tell him I'm not going to lie gently get lost

• "Thanks I'm flattered." Then just walk on.

What Girls Said 1

• Just be straightforward.
    "Look, mate. I'm not interested. You could be the president or the prince and I'm still not interested."