Explain in your own way, why different people evolved to look very different, from each other?

I was reading about this and i was interested to see what other people thought of it.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's called co-evolution. All modern day Homo-sapiens or humans evolved from the same original species, just did so in different ways to adapt to the very different environments we lived in at the time. Which eventually gave way to humans having different races. Black people evolved the trait of higher melanin concentration in their skin for if they were white and lacking it, they would all have been killed off by skin cancer sooner or late. Likewise why east Asians evolved the mono-lid and flatter nasal bridges to adapt to the harsh weather conditions like wind, dust, and very cold temperature around where they were situated at the time.
    I'm not really sure why you're asking if black males and females evolved from different species instead of asking about black, white, oriental populations tbqh. Though same answer would apply nonetheless.

&to answer something else you commented on another user's opinion, birth control and abortion aren't really affecting evolution itself all that much. More like those things, in addition to medicine, getting rid of natural selection.

• Ah i see. This is going to sound crazy but isint natural selection good, like wouldn't it be better if we kept evolving better and better. But i hate that because im a firm beleiver in everyone is impirtant. Could you give me a detailed response on why white poeple look so different from lets say Asians, this is really interesting.

• no, racism will never disappear. As long as people have their own individual cultures/religions, conflict between different ones is inevitable. It'll probably go more into the background though. With time, I'm hoping racism will become less prevalent in western media and society, at least in more metropolitan areas.

• I guess your right. This was a great conversation, thanks for taking the time to talk ok.

Most Helpful Guy

• Firstly we are the only a species in our genus, so we don't need to physically differentiate ourselves from them to have success in reproduction.
    Then look at another animal with large differences amongst individuals, like the different colors of the Pacific chorus frog or banana slug, to the different sizes of grizzly bears, and consider why that might be. There is no reason that requires it, except that come a bottleneck event, natural selection will have more advantageous individuals to work with. Genes naturally have multiple ways they can express themselves, and when their aren't a lot of non-relatable but similarly looking species, specific identification isn't an issue, so populations tend to drift apart like that. Now consider the ranges of the animals I examples. They have had considerable success in their range, but humans have no range restrictions, apart from open ocean and ice shelfs, and arguably high mountain and true desert.
    Therefore, our genes Will be of benefit to us when they express in different ways to people of different regions, and natural selection will slowly but surely cause unique populations to evolve.
    Lastly, consider that birds can tell other birds apart individually, and they likely see us as tall human fat human. So what you see as the same, to them is very different, and to them we are the same, you see us as very different. We are simply more familiar to the minutiae, and I would argue that while we all look different from each other, we don't look "very different"

• Wow thank you so much! It was a pleasure to answer.
      In response to your follow-up question, natural selection is still acting on us, but remember things that one would notice- genetic shift- take thousands of generations, or probably more accurately, countless generations.
      But what is most likely to occur, which is typically one of the biggest factors in what we simplify and call evolving, is a bottleneck event where suddenly conditions become intolerable for most of the population, and the only ones that survive (suddenly can mean over night or over a century, it doesn't matter. Except with humans, we have the ability to use tools, so we can mitigate, or offset, a large number of eventualities, but certain things like climate change cannot be circumvented) are those members of the population that randomly, and luckily, have mutations, commonly called adaptations, that make them better suited to survive in the new environment.

What Girls Said 1

• To adapt to their environment and some random genetic mutations thrown in,

• How do you think evolution is working right now in the modern era with birth control and abortion, and people moving all around the world and such and such.

• I don't know. I'd imagine we'll start to see more averaging of features across populations as biracial coupling becomes more normal in society. I can't really say how birth control and abortion affect us as a species, but I think it probably has less of an effect than all the wars and genocides that have occurred in history.

What Guys Said 4

• I got a little bit weird answer but the answer is to know each other is to get all to accept each other and respect the other and to know other cultures that's what I think

• It's sorta like we inherit this DNA stuff from our parents, right? And there's all types of mutations that go through the evolutionary chain.

Or if u don't believe in that God did it all

• if you are talking about skin color than it was adaptation to their environments. if you mean why we don't all look like clones its because we are all individual and nothing in nature is exactly the same

• A combination of adaptation to the environment, random changes and sexual selection.

• How do you think sexual selection plays out in real life. Girls pickibg tall guys, deep voices over soft, simple stuff like that.

• But not all girls have big boobs, not all guys have huge penises.

• Of course not, people aren't as simple as peacocks and we are still evolving. We are a very new and unstable creature.