If somebody said they were not attracted to a certain race would you think of them as racist or just a preference?

• Racist
  • Preference

Most Helpful Girl

• No, that's fine. Preference is legit, everyone is entitled to that. Racist would be more glorifying the preference while belittling and seriously insulting other races in the process.

I know sometimes white people are afraid to speak about something like this due to fear of being labeled a racist. One of my really good friends is a blonde Norwegian-American girl... one of the most racially accepting, tolerant, amazing people I know. She says she would prefer to be with her own race and preferably a blond like herself, because she likes how it is in her family and finds it beautiful and familiar... though she finds people of all races attractive. Totally fair.

• It is perfectly reasonable for your friend to have that preference but it is like there are people who think everybody is obligated to date all races.

• Yep yep!
      Blah, you're always gonna have people who are gonna find a preference racist. Do you think it's mostly just people who are offended their race wasn't included? I don't know. I do sorta think a person who isn't physically attracted whatsoever to his/her own race may likely have a little self-hate going on. That's just from my experience though, so I'll say in my opinion. Even that doesn't mean that much b/c, even that person should still just date who he/she wants.

• I thought I get to decide for myself who I am attracted to but I guess society will do that for me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Obviously just a preference.

• I agree but it is strange that some people are afraid to say they have that preference because of fear of being labeled as racist.

• Thanks for MHO!

• Sure thing

What Girls Said 5

• I would say it's racist. It's no different from the "No Blacks" signs that used to be all over town, discriminating against a particular group of people. You can prefer broccoli to asparagus because you know for sure that no matter how asparagus is seasoned or cooked it will taste the same. Human beings, distinctive individuals who's physical features and minds vary incredibly, are nowhere near the same. People from a certain race don't just come out the same every time.

I think sheeple trying to claim that "it's just your preference" isn't racist probably have discriminatory, prejudice thoughts of others deep down that they're too prideful and lazy to work on so instead they try to encourage the idea that 'preference' is okay and should be accepted by all.

• I understand where your coming from but a lot if people have preferences over facial features even though that seems like a generalization.

• @SakuraChii That's what people say but I'm pretty sure it's really them having a discriminatory, prejudice mindset and being too prideful, lazy, and righteous to change it. So like I said, they go around trying to convince everyone that discriminatory "preferences" are okay so that they can be comfortable with their psychological flaw.

• Technically it's both. Your preferences are more or less inherent. Racism can be internalized through exposure to certain media and this informs some of your innate preferences. While I won't vilify someone who prefers to only date a certain race (or their own), I will suggest to them that they have some internalized racism to deal with.

• If they listed the reasons why (other than facial features) and would announce it in public that way then yes because it would make people feel uneasy.

• Preference

• It would be racist if they called me ugly for not being the race they prefer and if they kept telling me how much they hate my race that's racist

• Yes, the line should be drawn at the word ugly.

• You are the one who asked the question if it would be racism or preference on your poll. So no, it's not another subject entirely when you brought it up

• I made it clear in responses here that I think it is a preference.

What Guys Said 7

• Definitely B.

• For dating, I would say it's preference. There are people who only date outside of their race as well, which is fine.

• A preference means liking one more than another, *not* feeling no attraction for another one. thus it's just hidden racism.

• A preference. Not everyone is going to be attracted to everyone.

• I would say it's racist. And completely fine.

If you find one race more attractive then the other... aren't you discriminating based on genetics and race, as genetics, which are common across a race, give them their defining looks?

At the same time, it's completely fine. Who got elected president of the galaxy, that they have the right to command you to date other races?

• Interesting point... maybe technically, it is a form of racism under that definition. In everyday terms and factoring in peoples' rights, I would proceed to say preference in a mate could be an exception as long as respect is maintained for the others. The person's right to have a preference clashes with another race's right to be preferred, and when that clashes, I'd say the person's individual right to prefer comes on top. It's kinda like how freedom of speech doesn't become a freedom when the side on defense is harmed in the process.

Or perhaps it can simply be an acceptable example of racism like you're implying. I don't know. Regardless, I would say my preference has to do with culture/lifestyle vs, race, though since certain races dominate certain cultures and it becomes inevitably linked.

• If one were to get technical, isn't attraction based on genes? Such as, the "type" of women that grab my attention are white, fair skinned women with dark hair. Isn't that set of looks genetic? And aren't race/genes basically the same? Such as, only caucasian women will be my "type." Black women never will be, due to their race/genes.

So isn't it "racist" yet at the same time, perfectly good and fine? For who has the right to command someone they must date inter racially, for example?

• ok I guess I have a different definition of racism. I think of racism as having a low opinion of a race, keeping a race down, and discriminating and at the extreme violence against them. I prefer brunettes over blondes does that mean I don't like blondes as people?

• Racist. There's no such thing as not being attracted to a certain race.

• I'd think of them as racist. I don't like snakes like that.