Would you date a person with preexisting children? Why or why not?

Most Helpful Guy

• Its a dealbeaker.

I don't really want kids and if I was to somehow change my mind, I'd almost certainly want MY own kids. Also it would just be a constant reminder of her past with her ex. Plus there's often the drama when the ex wants to see the kids too. It just seems like an unpleasant scenario to me :/

• Yup, you younger people are all saying this for the most part, with a few exceptions

• Yeah, I think older people are more likely to accept it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, I wouldn't. First of all, I don't want kids. Second, if I wanted kids for whatever, then I'd prefer to only have kids I truly consider my own. I don't think I'd ever be able to really feel like a part of that family, it would always be a bit broken in my opinion and it would just overall be a difficult situation.

• for whatever reason*

• I understand, a lot of younger people feel this way, whereas the older group seems to be ok with it... maybe the tolerance of other people's kids are more accepted later in life... I don't know

0/2500

Send It!
Sponsored

What Guys Said 7

• No. Because I want to start a fresh relationship and not be the continue part of a failed relationship. As hard as it sounds, its true. I want her to have MY children and I want to be her past and her future, and not just the future looking at her past. Also he wants to see the children too probably, so I have to accept that there always is something that keeps them in contact. This is the biggest dealbreaker possible for me. Right after psychopathic murderer.

• I hear ya man, and can't say I don't blame ya on your passion against it, I completely understand

• fuck yeah I would.

• No I want my own kids. My tolerance should only be pushed to it's limit by a child that's my own.

• LMFAO at all the single mothers down-voting you. I don't know why if you're saying the truth.

• @NotMyUsername15 well damn, ya got me there

• @NotMyUsername15 however, we had decided at the time of conception that it's what we both wanted, later got married then he split... initially left him bc he was being physically abusive, then he bounced state and is nowhere around the kid and doesn't support financially now the responsibility is all on me, not fair in my opinion

• These children are OK (if they aren't adolescent!) but their dad, his visiting rights and his mom can be a PITA.

• Thank God I don't have to deal with the ex, he ran off... no drama there, just the financial struggle as he doesn't pay. Loser!

• No, because first of all, I'm not sure if i even want children to begin with. Second, i don't want to be burdened with parenting a child who came from another man's testicles. Third, if i did want children, I'd want children of my own.

• Yeah, i don't see it being a problem i would date her cause the children are part of her why would it be a issue , it's a package deal and seriously i would love the children like they were my own.

• That's very sweet

• Thank you and your welcome :D

• Ya sure why not can't have my own kids

• Awe, damn sorry to hear that. It's very fucking difficult to be a parent though

• Seems like it

• Yup... stressful to say the very least

What Girls Said 6

• Nope. Call me selfish (since anyone with standards gets called names) but I want to date a guy who puts me first.

• Nope, I wouldn't date someone with children. That's a deal breaker in my book.

• I appreciate your honesty. Thanks

• I would because I have nothing against kids, or single parents.

• Wow, guys are actually thumbing me down for not having a problem with kids or single parents. I don't get how I'm suppose to dislike someone for having a child. :T

• Yea that's weird, don't worry though, who cares just be you...

• If I was dating the guy and I did not know he had kids or if the kid was living far away and I liked guy before I knew I would keep on dating him. If the guy is legally married but separated and has a kid but wants to date me, no.

I would think he was only trying to use me as a rebound and I do not want to deal with drama from a possible crazy ex wife.

If he did not know he had kids then yes I would still date him

• I would but it's different for a guy and girl.
    Guys usually don't have custody of their kids and only have them on the weekends.
    I would date a guy but I would be hesitant, not because of the kid, but because of his possible baby mama drama.

Baby mama drama is the worst

• Not the case anymore, you'd be surprised how many daddy's have custody, it's weird... but so is the system soo...

• Depends on the person and their kids, but yes id probably give it a try at the very least...