Wtf is the purpose of a promise ring?

Why not just tell her, I'm not going to cheat on you! There's no need to buy a ring!

Most Helpful Girl

• I also always wonder why people give promise rings. I think they are so lame.

Most Helpful Guy

• It makes teenagers feel like something worthwhile is actually happening in their life. Nobody post graduation does stuff like that unless they're just looking for ways to throw away cash.

• Kinda like those ring pop weddings elementary schools kids do but more expensive

What Girls Said 1

• its to promise her virginty to you. My god this generation is going to shit.

What Guys Said 5

• A promise ring is usually given to indicate the intention that you intend to marry her, but just not now. This could be for a variety of reasons... work, career, school, lack of money... etc.

It means a lot more to give a ring, which has a traditional symbolic meaning.
    You asked "why not just tell her, I'm not going to cheat on you".
    Well, take a look at the forums here and see how many girls have been cheated on. I'll bet most of them have at some point. And I'll also bet that the guy probably told her he'd never cheat on her. Words a pretty much worthless in this day and age of society. I've had girl friends who've been cheated on 5-6 times.

I'm willing to bet that among all the relationships out there, more than half of the people in a relationship have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION of marrying their current boyfriend/girlfriend. I often dated girls that had crappy personalities only because they were super hot. I had no intention of marrying them either, and knew it wouldn't work out. But that didn't stop me from using them to relieve the pressure in my balls for a year or two.

For guys, the thought of purchasing a ring - even a promise ring - and giving it to a girl indicates that he's not just around for sex. I doubt a guy that's only around for sex would ever bother to get a promise ring. So receiving one is a sign of a serious intent. However, if the girl isn't actually that interested and receives one, she better get the hell out of that relationship fast.

• It's an excuse for a girl to get another piece of jewelry.

• On the other hand, what is the purpose of a wedding ring. Why not just tell her we are married and I am not going to cheat on you?

• Because people are frauds.

• Just more dojo a guy has to spend for some pussy. That's all. Nothing but a cheap... expensive excuse. I wouldn't buy a damn thing.