Does age difference matter?

I'm dating a girl who is 19, I'm 26. Does it really matter? Is she too young for me?

by the way. In my country being mature/adult begins at 18. I know that it starts at 21 in USA.

I forget to mention that her arms are the same size as mine. I'm skinny guy. Is it a shame?

Most Helpful Girl

• No age doesn't really matter. What matters is Maturity and Understanding.

My boyfriend, the love of my life, is 41 and I am 21 yo.

What Society has a problem with is the whole "young vs old" thing.

A 14 yo dating a 21 yo is WRONG! But a 21 yo dating 28 yo is okay.

I catch it all the time from peeps that i am too young to be with my guy. My dad was all over me about it until i pointed out 2 of my sisters were 21 yo when they got married and their husbands were 30 & 32.

Dad made all kinds of excuses why it is right for them and not me. So what did he do right after Christmas last year? He married our housekeeper.

She is 33 yo and he is 51 yo.

He says that is so different coz they both are over 30 yo and don't plan on having kids! So I just found out mom is now prego with twins AND she was taking fertility shots to get prego!

BUT IT IS WRONG FOR CASSIE TO BE LIVING WITH A MAN 20 YEARS OLDER THAN HER!

It is all a Societal conspiracy of " do as i say, not as i do".

You are only 7 years older than her, so it you both like each other, there is nothing wrong here!

ALSO... guys in their mid to late 20's are at the same maturity level "personality" wise as a girl 18 to 20 years old!

**If you want more, private/personal info on how i know all this, email me. I have dated way more guys than i should have for a girl my age. I do wish i could go back in time and change my life.

Most Helpful Guy

• Just be aware that her main attraction to you is security. In that you can help her with her life since your older you have more money.

What Girls Said 32

• I'm with a guy who's 26 and I'm 18 and I don't see a problem with it ^_^
    It's fine dude, age is just a number basically.

• When my mom and dad got married she was 19 and he was 34. Theirs 15 years age difference between them and they have been married for 21 years and counting. So i don't think 7 years age difference really matters.

• Not really. 19/26 is a little too much of an age difference, but not too bothersome once she turns 20. 20/27 looks a lot different than 19/26, though I'm not sure why. But I wouldn't disapprove of it. You're both in the same thinking range. And the mental age difference will grow smaller over time too. 42/49 doesn't sound crazy at all in my opinion. So... you're on the edge, but safe.

• It looks different because they both start with 2. Just like $19.99 looks a whole lot less than $20.00.

• Um... we're adults at 18 in the states, bro.

I don't know where you get 21. That's the drinking age. Being an adult and being able to drink in the US are not the same.

• If you're happy and are compatible then there's no problem as long as the age gap/lack of experience won't affect your relationship.

• As long as it's all legal and both parties do it willingly I don't see a problem with it.
    An age gap of 7 years, like in your case, isn't even a lot in my opinion - i mean, it would probably be considered "not normal" by some people until you're both in your 30s but age is nothing but a number really, isn't it 😌

• Not at all, one of my friends got married at 19 to a guy who was 31. They are still to the day the best couple i know of. They just had their first child and are both so content and happy.
    If you click you click, it's more about personality than age. I think some people like my friend, are just incredibly mature and they know themselves at a younger age. They know what they want and value and are fully capable of being in real relationships.

• 7 years is nothing... I can go up to 15 years older than me tbh if the guy looks good and we're mentally on the same page.

• Go for it. 19 and 26 are both pretty damn young.

Good luck.

• I'm 20 and the guy I'm dating is 27. There have been no issues. We get along really well and that's all that really matters.

• There's a “divide by 2, add 7” rule that works pretty well. If your lifestyles, mental age, and life goals/timeline are compatible, age gaps aren't so important. It just so happens that people of age gaps often have different lifestyles, mental ages, and life goals/timeline. That's where the problems arise.

• There's nothing wrong with it. Everyone matures at different rates.

• I think it does matter and that you are too old for her.
    But that's just my opinion.

• Why?

And once again, remember, you're my favourite GAG user ;D

• I am? Haha Thank you. =)

Well... I see it like this: if it was my younger sister I'd feel very protective towards her and wonder why the guy can't find someone his own age. my mind would go into dark places where I'd think he was depraved and only after using her.
      Or socially and maybe mentally unstable or retarded (not clinically).

• Once you're both adults it doesn't matter

• Legally you are fine together, but age, like they all say, is just a number. If you guys clicked, well then stick with it. You're old enough to decide who you want to be with, no need to ask for someone else's opinion.

• Nopee I'm dating an older guy too. No one would care if I was 20 but I started dating him when I was 18 so everyone was like "omggg, he's using you!" when he literally talks about marrying me all the time lol.

• I don't think it matters tbh. But she's young, and at that age a lot of girls don't know what they want. But I don't know her personally so I can't really pass that judgement.

• it matters if the age difference causes you to be at vastly different stages of your lives or have very different mentality

• The majority of married parents and couples are around 20 years apart from one another. It's not the age difference you need to be questioning. When you find someone you really love and truelly believe you belong with, you shouldn't be thinking of these minor details that don't even matter when it comes to true love.

• Nah, my parents are 8 years apart, and they're doing great until now :)

• It really doesn't.

• i think that it doesn't matter. if you love her and she loves you and she's mature enough to admit it then it shouldn't matter.

• naa its ok

• If you are in the same stage in life it doesn't matter

• depends on their maturity but you won't know until you know her better

• definitely not.

• To me it does. I'm 24 and I wouldn't date a 34 year old man because he most likely is at a different time in his life than I am. Yes I know some women are married at 24 and have kids but I'm not "some women" I still want to travel and have fun and I just now got a job and I want to get my financial situation together and a man at 34 or 32 may have done all he wanted to do in life and traveled and he may be ready to settle down and have a wife who does not do those things
    This for me creates a conflict of interest

• My partner is about 10 years older than me. Some people think it's strange, but we are so perfect together that anyone who knows us well has no issues at all.

There are two things you need to be careful of with age gaps: Maturity and life situation.

Maturity is obvious, but where someone is in life is important too. It wouldn't be healthy for a person with their life in order and who is ready to settle down date someone who is still learning who they are as a person.

• it doesn't matter

• Nah , in the US it is 18 to be considered an adult, and 21 to drink alcohol. My friend is 19, and is dating a 25 year old, I think it's not a big deal.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 11

• Only you can decide is she too young for you. Do you feel guilt, embarrassment, frustration, annoyance, etc, and is it because of her age? If so, then she's too young for you, or you need to confront t those feelings. Do you feel shame? If so, then you might not be mature enough to date someone too far from your age, or ready for a real relationship.

• Nope, if she's hot, go for it.

• It's limit.

• Between a man and a woman (ex 35 male and 20 female)? Eh, not that much.

Between a woman and a man (ex 35 female and 20 male)? Yes, that tends to not work.

• Age is relative. I guess, depends on the person. I, for one, find it VERY weird, but if u two r okay with it,

then it's okay.

• It matters when you have nothing in common or the life experience is too different.

• As long as you're both adults it doesn't really matter. Age doesn't define maturity. 7 years is hardly an extreme age gap anyway.

• Nope, it does not matter. Enjoy.

• I think it depends, but for me, three plus and three minus are the bottom lines.

• No it doesn't matter.

• Why is your arm size important?