Would you be with someone who has a restrictive diet?

Whether for religious, ethical, or medical reasons.
I'm not talking about like a peanut or shellfish allergy. I mean really restrictive things like dairy allergy, vegan, celiac disease (gluten-free), halal, diabetes, etc.

That means you'll have to avoid or go to certain restaurants. If your parents or friends invite them to dinner, you'll have to let them know they have to prepare the food a certain way. Same if you prepare food for them. If you have guests over, they may have to adhere to the diet your partner fixes. If you have kids, same thing.

• If I liked them, yes (I'd even change how I eat too, so we can eat together)
  • If I liked them, yes (But I eat how I want, even if it means separate meals)
  • I'm on a restrictive diet, yes (Even if it is different from mine)
  • I'm on a restrictive diet, yes (But only if it is the same as mine)
  • Too much hassle, no
  • Other/See Results

Most Helpful Guy

• Well my sister was vegetarian and my mother is celiac and my father is on a diet to lower his sugar levels and cholesterol so i'm used to fitting around that kind of thing. I'll always be a carnivore though and i'll also enjoy fatty or sugary things, but i'm flexible.

Most Helpful Girl

• If it's due to health reason, and I mean REAL health reason, not just a trendy allergic Reaktion that's self-diagnosed, then i would still date them. If i like them enough, of course. If it's just their choice, no. Too much restrictions = too little pleasure. I'm not willing to put up with that. Also, these kinds of individuals who choose to go on a restriktive diet are usually not experimental and adventurous when it comes to food. Not my idea of a fun Person either. You have to be willing and enjoy trying out many different things. Because that would contribute to an open mind.

• Does choice include religious reasons for you?

“Also, these kinds of individuals who choose to go on a restriktive diet are usually not experimental and adventurous when it comes to food.” I disagree and would say, at least in the case of vegetarians and vegans, they're more adventurous. They are willing to try dishes from other ethnic cuisines and also meat substitutes. Meat eaters, American ones anyway, often feel like their food has to include meat. So they might miss out on Korean soft tofu stew or Indian chana masala with chickpeas. Meat eaters may have more options but they often don't take advantage of that. If eaters with no restrictions were more adventurous, they would take a look at the titles of restrictive diet dishes and say gross.

• Most of the people I've met are not as open to food as you and your friends. But it could be generational or cultural, who knows.

• I'm Asian and many of my friends are too. So we're used to being open to trying new weird stuff. Besides, if someone isn't open and adventurous at least when it comes to food, I can never be good friends with them. So they already got filtered out of my life automatically.

Many people in america and Europe are so spoiled that even when they are kids, they have already become picky eaters. Here in Asia, we learn to appreciate food. Food is food. It gives you energy and is beneficial to you. It is not "disgusting" or "looks like poop" or anything. Many people can't have enough food, so we were taught to appreciate whatever edible stuff we have and not say "disgusting" to completely hygienic, fresh food. It's all in the mind. I even take it as an insult if a food I enjoy is being labeled as "disgusting" by some people. I see them as entitled princesses and will never get along great with them.

What Guys Said 23

• Voted C. I'm a vegetarian, and I also refrain from alcoholic beverages. Looking at the responses here, seems like I'm gonna end up 'forever alone' (although I wouldn't expect a partner to change her diet)! :P

• No way. The majority of comments and poll results show that if someone loves you, they'll put up with it.

• The results were not that 'favourable' to me when I posted the opinion!
      So now I guess I'm 'safe'! :P

• If I'm dating someone I'm doing it under the idea that we're eventually marrying in which case I would want the mother of my child to have a full diet with everything in it for the sake of the child that will be growing up in her. So no I wouldn't date someone like that.

An allergy to certain foods... sure why not. But a self imposed restrictive diet... no.

• Well.. my love @MissNowhere is a vegetarian and I love meat... we still work. 👌

• I don't care what she eats but I'm gonna eat whatever I please. If she's having organic, gluten-free, fat free, fresh outta the ground veggie salads whatever and I'm downing a deep-dish pizza.. she better not say shit

• People on non-medical restrictive diets are all nuts. I wouldn't waste my time. If she had a genuine medical need, then that's something else.

• Yes, only crazy people take the time to be conscious, care about things, and have values or morals.

• Amoral of that particular moral. Not completely immoral. I'm sorry if you can't tell the difference and I hope you enjoy the rest of your judgmental, ignorant life.

• Ditto in spades.

• Sure I'm thinking of going full vegetarian soon or something. I've gained weight this past year and I really want to melt it all away. So with a good diet and a lot of exercise I should be sexy af again lmao

• Why does food intake have to be related with FUN? Sugar is unhealthy

• I was iffy about dating a women that was vegan... restos and dinning out would be such a pain and id get no satisfication from it... i want steak 😃

But if i liked her enough, its fine... but she gotta make chicken wings for game night otherwise nope 😝

• I promise you no vegan is making chicken wings, so it looks like Nope.

• Yea but what about when you go on vacations or to random places that simply just have certain restos... beaches at resorts

High class restos are almost never vegan but will have some vegan dishes

• I haven't been to any high class restaurants or resorts since I became vegan. Not because I'm vegan, but because I don't have that kind of money. Last time was when I was a kid. Recently, I did go to an upscale French restaurant where I just ordered one of their salads without the tuna and egg. It had tomatoes and capers and was delicious.

• That wouldn't be a problem for me whatsoever. I love all foods so it's not like I'd ever be missing out.

Voted A.

• My girl could be vegan all she wants... personally a vegan girl is hot to me. But I am a dude... I cannot go vegan.

• I woud hate it, can't do it just workout hard

• Medical reasons, sure. Ethical vegetarian maybe. Religious reasons no. I don't date religious people.

• Sure I would, I'm a vegetarian.

• Yeah. Although I don't find halal to be restrictive, then again I also eat halal

• I can deal. Just don't expect to change my diet!

• yes, but I am still going to eat what I want and if she keeps trying to get me to change I am out

• The only thing I won't eat is pork. I'm not Muslim anymore, but my stomach can't handle pork.

• Me studying food I'm open to I won't probably have a restricted diet I am very much open to it.

• I would control every aspect of the woman I own... So I tell her what to eat

• If it was to the point I could not eat what I want, that would really make me look hard at how worth it she is. Not saying it can't happen, but food is pretty important to my life...

If she was willing to do separate meals and I could have the food in the house at least, I'd have no problem.

• I would do anything to date a Jewish princess.
    But something like celiacs is a big turn off. So it's a depends.
    I dated a vegan girl, we had to go to two food carts at a time. That only worked out when she cooked, I don't have time to eat two places per meal

• If I like them and they're my fav physical type, wouldn't bother me at all.

• No!! I would dump you on the quickness... That's pretty annoying of you being so picky... Get over yourself.. I bet you get on people's nerves

What Girls Said 17

• A few years ago, @suki248 I had married a Muslim out in Egypt. While I was living out there for awhile, I learned to Do and Eat what the 'Romans ' ate and that Included... Pigeon as well. It was delectable, stuffed with rice.
    I enjoyed all the food that his and his family took in every day, and I never really missed any of my food that I had been accustomed to while living in the USA.
    I believe that if you love someone, you can get used to Having and living without as well.
    Good luck. xx

• Depends. Is he expecting me to become a vegan as well? Then, no. I need to have my chicken.

" If your parents or friends invite them to dinner, you'll have to let them know they have to prepare the food a certain way," this doesn't sound too bad. Parents can cook that for him but for me they will cook the dishes I like. So if he is cool with that, we can stay together.❤

" Same if you prepare food for them. If you have guests over, they may have to adhere to the diet your partner fixes. If you have kids, same thing," this puts me off. I get it. If I am eating healthy, and my partner not so much, then I would want my kids to follow my routine.

But, becoming that strict, nope.

My parents are not into that, so I would have to Cook what they like otherwise the food will go to waste.

• I'm allergic to dairy and the guy I'm seeing constantly downs milkshakes and cheese pizzas. Non issue.

• yeah sure i wouldn't mind =] id give it a go with them put probably not be that consistent lol.

• I voted E but if they were truly special, I'd suck it up and get over that.

• I'm gluten free. My boyfriend puts up with it.

• If it was medically necessary, yes, I'd date them. If it was a choice, then no. Especially if they were vegan.

• I meant C not B. id prefer it actually bc theyd understand.

• Yes I would. I don't really care what kind of diet they're on as long as it doesn't interfere with mine.

• Only if medically necessary. Otherwise, I'd feel my time with them would be impacted by too many unnecessary restrictions, especially if they were vegan.

• Yeah i would. But i would have my own Meals. İ would support them. But i would do my own thing.

• Of course I would, a diet restriction doesn't define you, it would probably be hard at first but if you really love the person I dont see why that should be a problem

• My brother has egg & nut allergies, my cousin is a vegetarian and I can't eat anything in the oyster family! Life is tough enough without worrying about these things so better to out the person and relationship first before diet!

• yes i would be with them and eat what they eat sometimes.

• I'm very picky with food so yeah.

• For medical reasons I can't eat gluten, dairy and have to try and avoid sugars but my man and I are going strong!

• Sorry, too much hassle, no.
    I know vegetarians who are cool people. When they invite meat eaters to their BBQ parties, they will buy meat for their friends without being asked. They are willing to go to any restaurant and just order a vegetarian dish. They don't mind eating veggies that has touched meat on the plate or something. That's the kind of people who are restrictive eaters by choice that I could be with.