Is it bad to lie to a date about your age?

I've been going on a few dates with this college freshman but I've lied to him about being 18, I'm still 17 (turning 18 within about 4-5 months from now).

He knows I'm in my last year of HS and don't work. I will after graduating though.

I do look like a grown-up anyway but yes I'm still underage by nearly 5 months.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes.

Any lie, no matter how small makes me completely change my view of the person negatively and I think if they can lie about little things, they're happy and comfortable to lie about bigger things. They would later find out that you lied so it's best to be honest.

What Guys Said 19

• Yes.

That is THE worst age to lie about. Don't do that.

• ok, I'll say the truth. In reality we're within very close age range; only 1 yr older than me. He's still 18 (he finished HS when he was 17).

• I guess I just can't wait to be 18. I don't want to be a minor anymore.

• You shouldn't like about it. I would clarify that up with him. If you are planing to stay with him, he's obviously going to find out.

• Yes, it's bad, I think he should know about it. However, it's understandable that you lied, laws make a very big deal with this think of being a minor when the age gap isn't big, that's why it's good to live where I live, nobody gives a fuck about it.

• yeah that doesn't make sense esp if both are within such a close age range. He is still 18 (he was 17 when he finished HS).

• whaaat the fuck lol.

• If the age of consent where you live is 18 and there's a possibility of sex, yes, it's very bad. If you're above the age of consent, there's no reason to lie. If it's just a casual date and nothing physical, then it's not so important

Sleeping with a girl and finding out she's underage and lied about it is one of the worst nightmare scenarios for men. It ruins lives. It almost happened to me once. I got lucky that it came to light before anything happened. Needless to say, it killed the relationship instantly.

• Seeing as he could potently end up in prison for up to 20 years because of it… yeah, that is kind of messed up.

• wow even when he's still 18 (he finished HS when he was 17)

• Its bad to lie period

• Yes it's bad to lie to people...

• Yes it is tell him your real age

• It okay if you are a bit older then Him and lying your age to be younger then him to make him comfortable, but you are younger then him.. And also you are under18 and still saying your are adult, trust me it's messed up shit..

• yeah it indicates insecurity but in your case it's no big deal

• Yes lying leads to nothing but more lies its best to tell the truth a lier will never make it too far in a relationship Im a guy believe it or not I been lied to by girls thinking there older then what they say they are and later on down the road I fid out there real age its a problem now they just lost a good person that could've taken care of them and take them in lying just leads to depression and insecurity.

• Yes it is. He could go to jail for statutory rape.

• It would suck. We don't even have sex nor done further things, I'm a virgin still. And I feel like an adult already, I'm close to being 18.

• and he's still 18; he finished HS a year younger than his classmates

• Why would you lie about it? The point will come where he will find out and then he will be extremely disappointed in you... it will only hurt your possible relationship, nothing else.

• because I can't wait to be 18... I wanted to sound like I'm an adult already but yes will tell him the truth

• Yes it is, it'll make the other doubt you

• Why even lie, you two are so close in age?

• Yes we're very close in age. He's currently still 18 (he was 17 when he graduated from HS) and I'm turning 18 within 4-5 months from now.

• Yes, he knows I'm in my last year of HS but he did asked my age and I told him 18.

• Yeah so he knew beforehand that you were a senior in HS, so I think it's safe to assume he wouldn't have made a big deal about you being 17 since most turn 18 their last year.

• tell him if he cares about you as much as you him then he'll not care.

• Yes its bad, you're tricking him into throwing his whole life away. You and underage girls dont see a problem with it because it doesn't effect you if you get caught. If you get caught there's no punishment, but if he gets caught... He gets years in prison and registers as sex offender. Once thats on his record his life is over , there's no coming back from it. When it comes to his future, all his dreams are taken away , when considering job prospects because no one hires sex offenders. They can't find work and even though they legally can't discrimate against it they do, they just put it in writing that it won't disqualify you from the job (when it does, they write that for legal reasons and you can't prove it wrong). So they might call them into an interview without any intention to hire them or just never call them back, or if they were interested and they find out he was a sex offender theyll just say "it won't bar you from getting hired" but they won't hire you because of it.

So all his dream careers are gone because they won't hire him as a sex offender. He has no shot at life anymore. He'll be hungry all the time because he won't be able to support himself. He'll probably have to live off of someone else for a long time or the rest of his life. There are stories of guys in this situation that were normal guys who got tricked like you're doing to this guy, and now thats how they live. Always moving around, never having food to eat unless they can eat at a friends or something. And every job they actually do get, they get fires when the boss finds out they were a sex offender.

This is why its a big deal, you're tricking him into doing that. It doesn't matter how close you are to the legal age, it has the same consequence regardless. So do you understand why its wrong for you to lie about this? Whether or not you have sex At least tell him so he knows the risk he's taking, but dont deceive him into it when he has no clue that he's risking his whole life by being with you.

• *they get fired when their boss finds out their a sex offender

• It doesn't matter how close you are, legally statatory rape is statustory rape. In my state being 17 is legally the same as being 14 if that helps you understand it. It doesn't matter if their age range is close. Its like the same thing as if a. 18-19 year old dated a 14 year old.

• *how close your ages are

• Lies will start to pile up as well as get more severe

• no it's fine

What Girls Said 12

• Yes, I know that many of us do not look, act, (whatever that means) or feel our age, but even if we feel we are ageless and timeless, honesty really is the best policy when it comes to interviewing someone if you’re looking to become ''Mr.&Mrs.''

Besides, once you’re a couple, you can’t keep your driver’s license or your passport under the mattress forever.

Good luck.

• You shouldn't have lied to him about your age. I say just tell him the truth, and if he is really the guy for you he will stay. Plus he will figure it out eventually if things start to get more serious, you shouldn't have to lie about your birthday lol.

• Yes it is it's a very simple thing to be honest about

• It's bad to start things off with a lie like that. Do you see a relationship with this guy? Then he's going to find out eventually and probably not going to be pleased that your weren't honest with him right from the start. And especially don't lie and say you're 18 when you're not. That could get him in a lot of trouble.

• It's bad to start a potential relationship on a lie. Says a lot about it character... Means ur a liar... just n honest with mmhim :)

• Yes it is bad to lie. If/when he finds out, there's a good chance he might have trust issues with you if anything more becomes of your situation. Where I live however you are the age of consent so technically there's no issue of illegal activity.

• I did haha, a few months ago I was super late and a Guy from an association stopped me I was 19 and he asked me if I was 18 I told him not yet just so he can leave me alone.
    Also another time a guy much older was flirting with me he asked me my age I told him 16 just so he can feel bad.

• Well, it's definitely not a good way to start off a relationship, if that's what you're looking for. And if it is, you might want to clear things up sooner rather than right before or at your birthday.

• Well you want honesty on both sides of the relationship, to lie to get somebody to date if he caught a wind of this he might think your gonna report him to the police, but that depends on what kind of relationship you 2 have.

• Yes, don't lie.

• Really bad age to lie about it. 17 is just borderline underage but when I was 17 I had a guy 18 after me and I was interested (not because of his age) but when he wouldn't leave me alone I had to go to the police because it was getting out of control. They told me I did the right thing and explained all the consequences someone overage could face if they were to do anything with a 17 year old

• um it's not like your 35 trying to be 24... Chill

• Nope, we're just a year younger. He's still 18... he finished HS when he was 17.

• You feel guilty cos you deceived him somehow.

• yeah going to let him know on the next date