Is it a bad sign if a guy doesn't try to kiss you at the end of the date?

I had a great date and his friends were awesome but at the end he walked me home, we were alone and when we were saying goodbye I moved closer to him so he would had the opportunity to kiss me if he wanted but... He just hugged me and said goodbye.
He wants to see me again but I was a little disappointed.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not a bad sign at all , at least he respects you & your boundaries. Two main points here , 1st is that men are always demonized by " society " as potential rapists & sex crazed morons , male sexuality is viewed with disgust , hence women often use adjectives such as " rapey, creepy " & worse to describe men. 2nd , men cannot read any typically subtle " Go Ahead " signals , unless trained to do so , or have lots of experience with women. I would not even make one small touch on a first date... if I was dating.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not a bad sign at all. He was probably trying to be respectful. Everyone is different and for some girls it might be too much too fast if a guy tries to kiss them after the first date. So he was probably trying to be respectful towards you.

I would flirt with him a little. Tell him you were disappointed and that you were looking forward to the kiss. He will then make sure he kisses you on the second date :)

My boyfriend waited 7 dates before he kissed me. But it was super special when it did happen :)

What Guys Said 51

• Some girls expect a kiss on a first date and some girls get offended if a guy tries to kiss her on the first date. A guy never knows how to handle that and some guys can't ready your subtle hints very well. Give him another chance.

• No. I don't often kiss on the first date, but if I really enjoyed my night with someone, I'll make sure that they know it.

• No, it's not a bad sign. I know you are disappointed but then it's not advisable to kiss on the first date, maybe he didn't understand your signs, or it's possible he understood but didn't do it, because he didn't want to seem desperate or make you uncomfortable. He might have thought you are trying to test him and so he wanted to pass the test, he decided to play it safe..

• not necessarily a bad sign. I had a general rule when dating that i didn't kiss on the first date. I didn't want my mind to be clouded by the romantic intimacy i wanted to remain clear headed about my feelings in a non-physical way.

but it definitely didn't mean i didn't like the girl

• And this is date # ? If it's a first date then it's completely understandable that he didn't move in for a kiss. If it were the second date it would be a cause for wonder why there wasn't at least a peck , maybe not a drawn out kiss. But the third date he has no excuse to not give you a kiss

• Even kissing is important to some people, so much that even after a first date they don't kiss because they don't know you well enough yet. They only want to kiss when they feel they romantically like you enough.

Don't be disappointed, it probably means he takes women and relationships in general seriously.

• If it was your first date with this guys then it's alright he didn't kiss you. It's a good thing that he doesn't just kiss every girl he goes out with.

• Don't be, this sounds like a decent individual who doesn't want to take things too fast. Give him some time. :)

• It takes more time than what a single date allows for to become comfortable enough with a person to try for any form of physical intimacy, missing included.

• 1) why didn't you kiss him? that is an awesome moment when she takes the initiative.
    2) was is a first date? this thing about having dates with friends I just don't get. But I guess that is how dates go with you kids. that makes a difference. Since I was forced into dating again by an unwanted divorce, I have gone out with 13 women. I have never kissed one of them on the 1st date. A few not until the 3rd. It is awkward and the guy has the burden of not looking like he is just after sex.

• its not always.

• It isn't necessarily a bad sign. He could have been too shy or just misunderstood your or wasn't quite comfortable doing it.

Next time, try kissing him.

• Maybe he thought you would take a kiss as harassment and he didn't want to come off too strong

• Is this the first date? Some guys just like to take it slow. I'm the kind of guy who would really do his best to get to know a woman first before getting more physical.

• Maybe he was afraid of getting shut down or being to forward and scaring you off. If he wants to see you again he probably wants a kiss. Don't let him leave without one next time.

Or start the next date with one.

'Oh hey you forgot something last time'. Put your hand behind his neck and guide him too you. Likely to start the date on a high note.

• I always tell the girl if I had a nice time and i'll mention doing something with her again. I've only kissed a girl once, so I'm not going to ruin my impression with a shitty kiss. Sometimes I wonder though cause one time I had a girl call me the next morning bright and early 7am while I was still sleeping and then she completely blocked my number and blocked me on the dating site. I guess she was mad I didn't answer the phone.

• It doesn't mean anything except that he's inexperienced and he's too nervous and self-conscious to read your obvious body language. Basically he hasn't been dating enough to read the signs and know what you want. I was the same at 18. If you like him and don't mind training him a bit then just kiss him yourself.

• Not always. Much of the time guys can be very hesitant to kiss a girl at the end of the date. Myself included. Because if we move in for the kiss at the end of a date and she refuses, it could result in a very awkward moment that would destroy everything we worked so hard for. He hugged you, so that's a good sign. So it sounds to me like he just wasn't sure whether or not to kiss you. You never know, maybe he'll be ready to kiss you next time.

• NO, not at all. HE maybe to scared too try and kiss you and you reject him. He may think that you rejecting will lead to never seeing you again.
    This is just one possibility but there are many more.

Next time try to be more physical. Grab his hand for example so that he feels that you like being touched. Or better yet kiss him.

• I wouldn't exactly say it's a bad sign. He may not have realized you wanted to kiss him. I probably wouldn't know myself, unless I was paying enough attention to her body/facial language. It doesn't mean he isn't interested in you. He just isn't quite quick enough in this department.

• I don't know, from a guys standpoint it's all about if it feels right or not and the girl's body language. The girl has to be going in for the kiss as well. I've had times where I'd try kissing or actually do it and the girl would think I'm being overly physical and get the impression that all I wanted is sex. It's different for everyone though. Not a black and white thing. Sometimes it'll be a simple kiss and sometimes it'll be making out.

• It turns me off, because I'm not into that type of girl. It'd make me wonder "If i were to ever be in a relationship with her, i wonder how many other guys' bulges she would stare at".

• Not always, youd be surprised what it can actually mean.. I for one rarely went in for first kisses... It was fun to make her want it so bad, that she just did it herself on date 1-2-3 or 4 muhahaha

• he's taking it slow lol

• he just didn´t dare to :P give him some time. if you´re so sure, maybe even do this step actively yourself.

• do it again i did it on the second date i wanted to leave a lasting good impression and not scare the hell out of her from the beggining

• He could either be shy, or holding out to make it special. Girls are super easy these days, especially with hot/cute guys. some of us like to wait so it actually means something and really gets us off.

• As much as it's a bad sign if YOU don't try to kiss him at the end of a date. =/

• It depends on the rest of the date. If it all went well, and he didn't try, then you can have a second date.
    Some guys still believe in rules when it comes to dating like waiting until some dates to start kissing, I don't know why.

• Yeah it means you're a slut and he'd rather not get involved if you're just going to hurt him.

• More from Guys
    21

What Girls Said 25

• Maybe he was just shy and didn't want you to think that he just wanted something sexual?
    If he wants to see you again and asks you out again I don't think there's nothing to worry about :)

• Exatcly, some of us think of respect first. So you don't think we're just after body sensations

• Duh, not necessarily. It could be that he wasn't sure of your interest, or is hesitant about initiating kissing for some other reason.

I'd give it one more date. You could kiss him and see how he responds. Or you could wait and see how he plays it, and if he doesn't kiss you, ask why. It doesn't have to be a big dramatic thing. You could simply say;

"Hey, I've had a nice time with you, but you haven't kissed me and I'm not sure what that means. I'm old-fashioned and I like the guy to initiate the first kiss." If he's not feeling attracted to you, he should let you know and you can move on; if there's some other reason, you'll learn something about him.

Good luck.

• It's not a bad sign at all... it means he is respectful and a gentleman because he's not assuming first date = first kiss. My first date with an incredible guy didn't end with a kiss and later we both laughed about how each of us had wanted to kiss each other but both of us didn't. And besides you say he wants to see you again... that's a great sign that round two will end the way you were hoping the first would have.

• Just be patient. The guy I'm currently dating (9 months strong) didn't kiss me for our first 3 dates. Our 4th date was a New Years Eve party at my house and I outright told him he could come if I get a kiss at midnight. He showed up, I got my midnight kiss, and we have been together ever since. Turns out he's just a bit old-fashioned and doesn't like to rush things. I've never dated someone who took things as slow, and now I actually really like it, as things happen in our relationship they feel so much more genuine because they weren't rushed.

Your guy could just be similar, not wanting to rush things. Some guys take it slower when they REALLY like a girl and see a serious potential. He could also be shy. Just be patient and give him some time. Enjoy the ride (:

• It depends on how many times you've gone out. If this was your first date, then don't be concerned. Maybe he's an actual gentleman. But after a few dates, then this guy is just a friend, and you haven't really been on dates.

• Not necessarily. Maybe he didn't wanna overstep. You said he wants to see you again so that's good. Next maybe take the initiative and make a move.

• Was it the 1st date?

• Maybe he freaked out in the moment. Trust me some guys are like that and he's probably regretting it right now. His breath could have smelled so he didn't feel comfortable kissing you. Dont assume it's always a bad thing. If he texts u and ask for another date, that's a good thing.

• Not at all, I've been on quite a few first dates (mostly from online dating haha) and the vast majority of the time the guys don't try to kiss me at the end but they still end up calling/texting me for another date. My ex boyfriend didn't try to kiss me for 4-5 dates! He (and I) were physically shy and he didn't want to move too fast. But we still ended up dating for almost 2 years

• He may be shy or inexperienced in reading the signs or both. You may need to lean all the way in next time lol.

• I'm so glad you asked this question because I was going to practically ask the same thing! He said he wanted to see me again and hugged me a couple times but never kissed me. Also it was just the two of us and no one else and it was the first date.

• He's probably just being respectful

• he maybe wants to take things slow and whoever said a guy MUST kiss a girl at the end of the date? If he still wants to see you again thats good.

• There doesn't have to be a kiss on the first date. Some people wait longer. Like I wouldn't on the first date

• Well you said he wants to see you again so I think he was just being shy about the kiss

• No, when we first started going out together, my boyfriend was really shy and didn't kiss me until our 6th or 7th date, and even then he asked if it was ok.

• Maybe he wanted to but got nervous or didn't want to rush you. Or himself. Who knows?

• Its yet to happen :P

• Sounds like he's not into you. Sorry.

• I think it's nice that he didn't. He's taking it slow. Also, it means he respects you :)

• Not really some people need more time that's all

• It can be a lot of pressure to kiss someone new after a first date -- he was probably nervous or didn't want to rush it. The fact that he gave you a hug and told you he wants to see you again is a great sign. :)

• Some guys move slower. Give him a chance.

• It could just mean he respects you (which is almost a foreign concept these days) and is waiting for the right time or to ensure you're fine with it.

• He will probably kiss you on the second date