Do political view differences affect your likelihood in dating and/or marrying an individual? Would you disregard your differences in opinion?

i. e. You're a devout republican and meet an individual who is a devout democrat. Would the political viewpoint difference be too much of compromise to date them?

Most Helpful Guy

• I approached this issue with an eye toward prevention.

After my divorce from my first wife was final, I joined eHarmony. One of the options in setting up your profile is specifying that you require similar political views of any matches. I identified my political leanings to eHarmony and was only ever matched with those who agreed with me.

From that list of matches, I eventually hit it off with a lovely woman who later became my wife. @GraySailorsBride and I have been happily married for 9 years. When election time comes, there is no conflict on our house. Good for us.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't say a political difference would necessarily affect anything, but certainly at least to a degree these views are connected to our personal values and if someone i was dating didn't have the same values as me that would be difficult. I am a strong believer in equality, so if a guy was racist or anything like that i think that would be a deal breaker. But that all comes down to wanting to be with people you get along with and who are similar to you so...

What Guys Said 31

• I'm Constitution Party. I'm patient with them on some issues, like the gun debate. I won't compromise on views on abortion and the sexual wants movement.

I cannot see myself marrying someone who disagrees with where I stand on that. As for friendship: that depends on how willing they are to find common ground with me outside that, as opposed to immediately taking things to the mattresses the second they learn where I stand. If their immediate response is shunning or bullying, I simply tell them the facts that support my position, and let it sink in. If they continue hostilities, I cut them off. I have little choice.

I won't start the next civil war. But I'll fight if they leave me no choice.

• Not for me. However there are some that do.
    I am a Democrat to the bone. In my working life the only time I ever made any money or had a decent job was when a Democrat was in office. During the bismal years of the Bush horror story, I was out of work for 3 years due to the depression the Republican'ts drove us into.
    But as long as you both don't take it super serious, it can be fun to spar in. I have had some good friends in my life that are retarded republicans. So dueling back and forth can be fun. In the end they can't win since republican's record speaks for itself. They have racked up more national debt and put more people out of work then any other party in history.

• Goodness, I am pretty damn sure I couldn't date someone who believes that the greatest value one can have is to obey old traditions for the sake of retaining traditions and that the most efficient and most desired motivator factor in any environment from work to family is FEAR rather than respect.

The "right" core values are the reason why there is no progress. They value "tradition" over improvement. I wouldn't want to be with such a person.

infobeautiful4.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...ght_usa.png

• That's like saying that a body cell isn't making "progress" by believing in waste vacuoles, calling it an "outdated tradition," and that you as a body cell would not want to be with such a cell. That waste won't get rid of itself though.

• Depends on the person, but generally speaking some people take their politics about as seriously as they take their religion (or lack thereof). Dating someone who thinks different you politically probably means that they think and do differently than you overall. If you've noticed, political parties and ideologies tend to bring a common group of people to them, usually those of the same job fields, socioeconomic status, race, etc. Some say opposites attract, and while that may be true, that doesn't mean they'll get along. A couple with different political ideologies might argue a lot. That doesn't lead to good relationships.

• Similar worldviews seem to be quite necessary in order to function as a couple. It's not like with friends whom you don't have to interact with on a daily life, but it's that one partner you are looking for with whom you want to spend all of your days.

Therefore it is important that you do have the same wavelength or else you just keep on creating more and more tension. It's not necessarily political differences, but how those political differences come to me as they come from completely different worldviews most often.

• I think it would unfortunately, at least in a long term relationship. Just dating I could move past it no problem, but I am simply too far left and too politically active to deal with some on the right that is meant to be the closest person to me.

• I have dated someone for seven years with different political views than me and it did not work out. I'm not very political but when it comes to core values, how a family works together , decision making, raising kids and jobs. Some people work to live, others live to work. Opposites do attract but don't stick. You will always be shaking your head at their logic.

• Honestly I'm very centrist so anyone who goes to extremes i might not want to date long term. I think, for instance, if you've joined an American political party you are being force fed a black and white view of the world that does not hold any practical application in reality

• Unless one or them had a job in the goverment, politics shouldn't be one of the ruling aspects of their life. Although i do have particular political beliefs, i almost never express them simply because i never find it necessary. So as long as it doesn't come up (which it probably won't) i don't see it as being a problem.

• If I ever date someone with different political views than me I have to realize that if we do indeed marry and live together until old age, our differences in politics will amount to making anecdotes of one another at most. At least hopefully.

• Not in that case, no. Politics is not allowed to get into the house. But, the differences between parties in America is way lighter compared to other parts of the world. For example, there are hardcore socialists and hardcore conservatives in Turkey in significant amounts. I don't think I'd marry a hardcore socialist (I'm a libertarian, not a conservative by Turkey standards).

• It's unlikely that I"ll find a woman that holds the same political ideology that I do for anything other than the sake of being involved in the social anarchist community. Most women are liberal, and I kind of have more of an issue with that then I do her being conservative. Either is horrible though.

• Not really for me. It's just deciding between the greater of two evils.

• No I lived in a very liberal city and dated very liberal woman while they knew I was a republican. Think they liked some one with a back bone that didn't just agree with them. I did kiss their friends off though

• Somewhat, but I don't expect to find another Anarcho-Capitalist. Conservative-to-libertarian is good enough for me.

A Bernie Sanders-loving moron is, however, a definite no.

• It depends on the people. My girlfriend is a big Hillary Clinton fan. I'm more of a Ben Carson guy. We make it work, just don't let things get too heated, and agree to disagree about politics.

• A lot of people are too close minded to accept beliefs different then their own, but both of us are a lot more accepting, and we both have a lot of friends from all over the political spectrum. I think if you are exposed to a wide range of political views, and have friends all over the political map, then you are sort of inoculated against political fighting with your lover.

• I think so, cuz if you were so different, it's gonna be so hard between the two of you and a permanent argument

• I suppose it would depend on where the differences lay and the extent to which our views differed. If it was an issue I felt strongly about I don't think I could ignore it.

• Extreme differences prevent all likelihood. Slight differences are manageable.

• not always, but it might

• No just don't talk politics with each other and all is good

• yes. i'd never date a socialist. or more to the point a US liberal. they see the world in unrealistic and childlike concepts.

• No, it wouldn't matter, I'm not a facist

• Political views won't affect much really, you could use it in a good way as something to talk about.

• It can cause some pretty big issues if you are pretty hardcore about your politics which plenty people are.

• No, it's all about the sex.

• Absolutely yes and no, I would never date some retard leftist.

• Yup. If ain't white, it ain't right

• Yes they do.

I find problems with both liberals and conservatives -- most of them are of the unthinking variety, and they find it impossible to place themselves in another's position and see how a policy might affect someone who is different than them.

But fuck marriage altogether. Most people are too selfish, too pig-headed, too self-serving and childish to ever marry. They're filth, and aren't worthy of the time to be spit on.

• It is for me, and research shows it is for most people who have diametrically opposed views - not only for politics, but for religion. In this regard opposites might attract, but there is no staying power. by the way my girlfriend and I (without either of us knowing this before we got to know each other) share very similar politics and religion. I have a short list which I call my veto list and if someone has two qualities on that list they are rejected. Life's too short to go through ordeals and arguments over the super-important things.

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 14

• I'm pretty neutral on the political parties thing, mostly because I don't identify with either of them and I think it's stupid that there's only two main parties. I wouldn't be bothered if a partner favored one or the other though. I think it is very important that a couple has similar views on most important issues, but sometimes a bit of variation can make for a good discussion if both people are civil about it. I don't think I could tolerate someone who was intense or extreme about politics all the time though. I care about what goes on in the world, but having heated debates in the living room is exhausting and doesn't change anythjng, so I really wouldn't want to be with someone who always got angry about what the parties they don't support are doing.

• Yes, it would definitely matter. Sometimes political beliefs can be a pretty big factor in how someone lives. I prefer to have similar values and beliefs if I'm going to be dating or in a relationship with someone.

• A bit, yeah. What matters to me is what their political views say about them. I'm fine with having disagreements, and arguments can be fun as long as, at the end of the day, I know that my partner is compassionate and accepting (two traits which are highly important to me).

There's more room for these differences in friendship, but not when I'm choosing someone I want to dedicate a significant amount of time, energy, and love to.

• If we were on completely different ends of the spectrum and there was no way for us to agree on political beliefs, then yes, that would affect the likelihood of us dating, it'd probably put me off.

• I would not be able to be in a deep and meaningful relationship with someone whose politics were polar opposite of mine.

• If their beliefs don't align with mine, it depends on how devout and outward they are about their beliefs.

I could never date a religious person who's constantly trying to convert people, or a "feminist" who pulls fire alarms at Men's Rights seminars.

• If we were on like totally opposite ends of the spectrum, it would be impossible. We need to be close enough somehow to feel like a couple. Politics are like my least favorite thing in the world because it means internally disagreeing a lot with certain people over their archaic world (and sometimes religious) views and arguments are just really upsetting.

• I don't give a shit about politics and guys who care enough about it turns me off. So i guess my answer to your question is yes.

• Yeah it most likely would. Might make tension if they are a die-hard, Mexican hating republican

• No, it doesn't affect my relationship at all.

• Devout anything annoys me

• I wouldn't date somebody right wing

• It's not a big deal now but I have a feeling it will be in the future.

• I think it would. There are a lot of values that would be different, and having similar values is a huge aspect of being compatible long term.