How would you react if someone of the same sex asked you out?

Let's say a person of your gender approaches you, and flirts with you a little. You talk for a minute, smiling abd laughing. They blush a little, then they ask you out on a date. You're stunned. What would you do?

This happened to me actually a year or so ago. A girl at my school had a crush on me. She was afraid to tell me, then she asked me out. I smiled, and declined her nicely. I was confused of my sexuality, so I didn't want to disappoint her.

• I would be offended.
  • I would be flattered, but I would decline them nicely.
  • I would accept their offer and go out with them.
  • I am homosexual/bisexual, so I would give them a chance.
  • Other (explain)
And***

Most Helpful Guy

• Had it happen a lot. Generally I decline as politely and softly as possible, especially in the cases they are friends, mentioning my sexuality if I think it'll soften the blow, or they get pushy.
    It is rather concerning how many people do get extreamly pushy when rejected (seriously some women and gay men are at least as bad as your average nightclub creep).

• This is incredibly true. Some women and gay men have an expectation or are entitled to you dating them if they so choose that they want you. This is extremely off putting, but at the same time it solidifies that you're right for rejecting them and dodged a bullet. Stay away from those crazy people.

• It especially amazes me how often gay men will try and invalidate your own sexuality.
      "Sorry mate, I just don't like guys that way. I'm a boob man. Lol"
      "But surely gender doesn't matter when you like someone? Come on!" (etc etc)
      Especially when for years the LGBT community has had to deal with the whole "it's a choice" argument.

Most Helpful Girl

• "mmm, thanks, but I'm not a lesbian" easiest way to turn down someone.

What Guys Said 42

• "You wot mate? Piss off ya bloody haggis eating wanker!"

I am joking of course, I'd politely say that I like girls. If he's too persistent then I'll use the line from above.

• I'd be flattered the guy found me attractive enough to approach and then I'd politely tell him I'm not interested

... it's happened to me on at least two occasions

• This actually once happened to me. Back when I was in high school, there was a guy who was... let's just say very openly gay :-). He mainly dressed in girls' clothes when he came to school (usually stuff he had borrowed from female friends), wore a lot of jewellery, painted his nails etc.. Now, I was at a small advantage because everyone at my school knew him and because I had heard some rumors that apparently, he was into me (I never followed up on those rumors because I thought those were probably just stupid stories people made up when talking to each other in the school's hallways). Now, one day when I was about to go home after class, he came up to me and, quite like you've described it, started a casual conversation with me only to end up confessing that he's got a huge crush on me. I was very flattered about his confession. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. In fact, it was such a great feeling to have someone else come up to you and ask you out. I know, for 99% of girls this is the most normal thing in the world, which is why women in general don't appreciate this enough. Most women don't even know how hard it can be to do this because it's usually the guys who ask out their crush. With ALL my girlfriend - without exception - it has ALWAYS been me who had to make not only the first, but also the second and the third step. Had I not taken the courage to ask for their numbers, to ask them out on a date, to confess my love to them etc.. I would still be a lonely single today. So considering this rather unfair distribution of workload between the sexes when it comes to flirting, it was an awesome experience to have someone come up to ME and ask me out. He was the only person who's ever done this to me. Unfortunately for him, I consider myself straight... or maybe bi-curious at most, so I had to decline the offer. It was no easy thing to do because I thought he was a nice guy and because I could see his disappointment. But I also wanted to be honest with him. And didn't want to give it a try out of politeness and then, two weeks later, tell him that it doesn't work. So yeah, I tried to do it as nicely and gently as I could.

By the way: I've also experienced the opposite several times already. There have already been THREE girls so far in my life that I had a big crush on that later turned out to be lesbians (they kinda broke this to me or I found it out through friends). I don't know what that says about me... I guess I really love lesbians ;-).

• I have actually been asked out by a guy before. So many men get uncomfortable and feel like it is an awful thing to be mistaken as gay... I think that says more about how uncomfortable they are with there own sexuality and look than me, I was simply flattered.

• This has actually happened to me as well. I was working as a cashier in Walmart and a guy asked if I wanted to hang out and get coffee. I politely declined the first time. Not gonna lie, if guys AND girls think I'm cute, that's a little ego booster lol! But he came back in the next day and asked me to the movies and I was like "so not to be offensive but you're gay right?" He laughs and goes "yes" and I said "that's cool man. But I don't bat for that team." He then goes "I can change that for you!" And winked. I asked him to leave the store and never showed up again.

• I would try to get a free meal out of it.

• its happened awkward af...
    i usually just tell them "Sorry dude, i am not gay..." and try to get away as fast as possible!

• just say no thanks

• This happened to me once. My girlfriend, who I was in love with, had just dumped me a few days before and I was devastated. I stopped in at the coffee shop in the gay part of town and some dude slipped me a note. It cancelled the sad face that I had been wearing for days; I was really flattered and it made me feel attractive at a time when I needed to. Of course I never followed up, but I saved the note.

• Lol ha well its happened lots of times and when the dude is respectful and a cool gay guy.. I might joke around with him a little. i actually find respectful gay men pretty awesome. Fun guys

But then you have the freaking wack jobs, those ill tell to literally fuck off im not gay you homo shithead (i know kinda mean but meh)

• I wouldn't be flattered, necessarily, because I would wonder what it was that I was doing that made them think I might be gay. I wouldn't get angry or offended though. I'd politely tell them I'm EXTREMELY straight, and not interested. It would be awkward, cuz I wouldn't wanna be mean, but its always hard to reject someone without it stinging, and the gay/straight dynamic might make it even harder.

• I'm not homosexual, so I would tell them nicely that I'm not interested and I'm definitely not the right person for them. I'm probably the most heterosexual guy on this planet, but I try my best to seem asexual since most people have not been receptive to my heterosexuality. I hate that I can't express my true self to the world. I honestly believe I'm an extroverted heterosexual, but everyone around me keeps telling me not to embarrass them. Why are humans so shy? I'm tired of pretending to be an introvert. I think gay marriage is the first real step to turning male heterosexuality into a crime. That makes me really sad. I don't hate gay people, but why do I have to give up my sexual feelings for girls in order for everyone else to be happy?

• I'd be VERY busy , have no spare time for that person.

• I wouldn't be offended, but I'm not sure I'd be flattered either. But I would reject them either way.

• I'd be flattered, and politely decline them, though I wouldn't be against hanging out with them at some point, if they didn't feel awkward about being buds with a guy they just asked out.

• I'd be flattered lol but i would kindly decline the only way i would react badly is if it they couldn't take no for an answer and they kept on stalking me and trying to force themselves on me.

• I had guys flirt with me online. I politely turned them down, but while showing appreciation as well.

One was being pushy so I (again politely) asked him to stop. And low-and behold he did.

• I would run the fuck out of there. It couldn't get any awkward 😨

• I'd tell them I was very flattered but that I am hetero (and attached)

• I'd be surprised and awkward then feel flattered

• it's flattering but I would have to decline and I'd nicely explain why so that he knows it's not because I don't like him or so...

• I'd kindly decline, but if they persist I'd feel uncomfortable.

• B... I'd try to solve the situation nicely (oh my god not easy hahaha) :D

• It happens to me all the time when I travel. I was shocked at first, but then I came to accept it as a huge compliment.

The best part though, is that it gave me a huge insight into what it's like to be pursued by guys, and in turn, that's made me so much more effective at pursuing hot women.

To all the guys out there who want to get better at picking up women - go and let yourself get picked up by a dozen men. You'll get to see first hand why whatever you're doing isn't working, and begin to learn how to improve your game. It's awesome.

• I'd say "No thanks, I'm gay." and see how they'd react

• I am not gay ok, we can be friends but don't touch me

Or if I am drunk I'll be pissed and hit my arms around me and go away from there. Then I won't be pissed and will keep on the party

• I'd try to be polite and say, "Sorry bro but I like the girls.".

• Just.. don't pls :D

• If I was single and was attracted to him, I'd give it a shot

• I would deny and tell him I'm not gay.

• More from Guys
    12

What Girls Said 32

• I would be flattered, but I would decline them nicely. I'd probably be super shocked as well. But I'm not romantically interested in girls so it's a no.

• I'm flattered, but I'm straight. And taken. By a man.

• I'd say I'm flatted, but sorry, I only go for the d.
    (In all seriousness, I'd say I'm sorry but I'm not into girls.)

• I voted for Option B. I'd be very flattered, but would have to decline their invitation in the nicest way possible. I'm not sure how I'd go about that since I've never had that happen, but... I'd manage.

• I would be flattered (oh my god, I'm attractive to someone?), but I'm taken. So, I would politely decline.

• It's really nice to know that anyone, regardless of gender, likes me, haha. So, I'd be flattered, but decline nonetheless.

• Happened before. It went from surprised (the first time) to flattered to awkward to freaked out (cause I didn't knew how to respond). But I just told them calmly "thank you, but I'm not into girls".

• This has happened to me before. I chose option B.

• I'm bi so if I was single and I was attracted to her, I'd give it a go :)

• Definitely flattered. And since I'm open to experimenting with girls (I'm straight by the way, maybe just bicurious), I'd give it a try if I do find her attractive.

• I wouldn't be flattered but I would decline them nicely. Asking anyone out takes courage. Especially if you're a homosexual. I remember when my friends friend asked a guy out he liked at work to the movies and the guy said, "I don't know. I have to ask my GIRLFRIEND first." He was so embarrassed. I feel bad for him to this day because he's always had a hard time in the LGBT community. He's attractive but has poor self esteem because of the rejection he's faced (not just by straight men). :(

• Whoops I meant to upvote I'm sorry. ;( Haha, lots of girls at my school pretend to be lesbians when guys they don't like ask them out.

• Haha, no problem. 😆
      Yeah I've heard some girls do that. Lol

• i voted for option B

• How flattering! Probably wouldn't go.

• I've been asked out everyday for about 3 weeks now by the same girl. She has a really big crush on me and she said she's in love with me. I told her I'm not gay but I'm still friends with her and we still hang out. We even go to the same church...

• I would be flattered but I would decline them nicely

static.tumblr.com/.../blaine_is_so_flattered.gif

• Vote E

Im bi

If other girls outside of work even SPOKE to me, I would be thrilled.
    ie: My last girl on girl sex was April :(

• I get hit on by members of the same sex all time, and I just smile and decline. some though cannot take no well and then I say your missing an y chromosome and I'm sexually only attracted to y chromosomes.

• I would just say sorry but i'm straight.

• Say thank you but I'm straight.

• I would feel offended and creeped out

• Reject them. I'm not going to do anything different.

• if i wasn't dating already i'd go for it

• I might try it as an experiment.. But I'm realli not serious rn

• If they've piqued my interest, I might say yes.

• I'd have to turn her down as I've already got a partner and I wouldn't cheat on her.

• totally straight, but I'm curious too, so D.

• I would be flaterd but have to say no as I don't roll that way

• Nicely say "Sorry I Have A Gf!"

• I'm pretty sure I would be offended but then again I'm a homphobe and I have no problem with it. I would be nice when rejecting her though. :)

• i mean i guess i'd be flattered but not so much. i'd just say no, sorry i have a boyfriend. or if i didn't have a boyfriend i'd say no, sorry i don't like girls.
    I've had a girl hit on me before and it was just kind of uncomfortable because i totally wasn't into it hahah. it was sort of funny because everyone i was with could tell she was hitting on me and i was like nahhh. it was almost as bad as a guy hitting on me when i didn't want it lol but not quite. she was more friendly and funny about it. most guys who hit on me do it in a way that makes me very uncomfortable.

• More from Girls
    2