Is my boyfriend being controlling over my sleepwear?

I am 27 and currently rent a house with my lifelong best friend Kristen (who I've known since 2nd grade) and her boyfriend of 5 years, Dan. We lived together now for 3 years and everything is great. We have separate areas of the house and obviously separate bedrooms (I have my own and they share one together) Like anyone sharing a space, at night we watch TV together in the living room, have dinner together etc. Here is where the problem comes in. My boyfriend of 6 months thinks it's indecent that I wear sleepshirts and nighties when we are all in common areas of the house. He says I shouldn't be dressed the way I am in front of another guy. I like sleepshirts and nighties, it's what I find comfortable to lounge in. My lifelong friend and roommate has never made mention of me being indecent and neither has Dan her boyfriend/my other roommate. In 3 years time there has never been a complaint or issue. Kristen wears sleepshirts too! So girls, I need your opinion. Is my new boyfriend being controlling? Should I take a stand because it's my home and this is what I find comfy?

I found some images of a few sleepshirts and nighties I wear so you can see exact examples. What do you think?

• yes this is indecent for you to wear in front of a male housemate
  • No if neither of your housemates complained than you are fine

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it is a bit much to wear in front of other guys. and would be kind of uncomfortable if my gf/wife/etc wore that... like sleeping in it is one thing but wearing it to walk around is kind of revealing and whether you or your friend know it the dude is definitely taking peaks... it's just kind of how we are, it's hard not to look

that said I wouldn't tell my girlfriend she "can't" do something

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're friend doesn't have an issue, and is secure her relationship then good! You should be allowed to wear what you want, it's not like you're sitting infront of them with your legs open etc. Your new boyfriend, came after the fact so if there hasn't been an issue now except him, I would tell him it's comfortable, it's a HUGE deal chuck on shorts which don't make a different because you wouldn't see them (still).

• The shorts kind of defeat the purpose but I understand what you're saying. I do wear panties underneath so if the worst were to happen (like I fall over or something) there wouldn't be any free shows.

What Guys Said 2

• Those picture look sexual as hell.

• Well the models are obviously sexualizing it with how they are standing... I don't do that, it's just the ad

• It's a guy thing , you are making him feel bad , and this isn't good

What Girls Said 4

• I’ve been in a similar situation sharing an apartment with another girl. While her boyfriend officially didn’t live with us he did spend a lot of nights there. Sometimes I’d be sitting in the Livingroom in my sleeping clothes watching TV or something and they’d come in and we’d all watch. There were times Katie my roommate would go and put on a nightie. I could read in her bf’s eyes that he was watching both of us. He always kept his jeans on…probably didn’t want me to know how hard he was 

• Well I wouldn't want to be "watched" if I thought Dan was having sexual thoughts I'd change but he never treats me differently and I've never actually seen him get an erection

• I didn't mean to imply anything more than that happened.

• i don't think its controlling!.. in my opinion

• so you wouldn't feel upset? You would just go buy some new pajamas and change what you wear?

• He knows how the average joe blow thinks. :)

• Well I appreciate that but he has nothing to worry about with Dan. He's my best friends boyfriend nothing would EVER happen

• You never know... People closest to you can be unnoticeble suspects.

• I think it depends, I wear something similar when lounging about but shorts as well until I go to bed. My flatmate does the same but we are just two girls.

• I submitted before I finished, sorry. I don't think he's being too unreasonable but if you feel strongly about it then stick to your guns!

• Yeah I think shorts kind of defeat the purpose but I understand where you are coming from. I wear panties underneath so if something were to happen you can't see the goodies

• at the end of the day you should be free to wear what you want at home and I guess it comes down to how much you think it bothers him and if it's a compromise you want to make for him. I guess he may feel that he doesn't want another guy seeing too much of you, I think guys are protective like this but I don't think it's that he wants to control you.