Does advice from someone older carry as much weight?

I feel that the problems people face are universal. Doesn't matter which generation is suffering, it pretty much boils down to the same things. But I remember when I was young, I thought all adults were pretty stupid and disregarded their advice because they "didn't understand".

Is it the same here? I see more questions from people under 18 more than anything and I have to wonder if my advice is just as valid as someone closer to their age.

Just curious - I wouldn't stop giving advice. I'm too much of a busybody.

Most Helpful Guy

• Its very true that here most of the question posted by under 18 kids, its because they are moving very fast in there life then they suppose to be. Getting exposer of every thing before a maturity time is not good .Its like " A tree grows naturally and give there fruits that's better then in an artificial way".Kids here getting exposer of sex ,break-off,bad behaviors ,immaturity,wrong decisions etc before then they supposed to be.And when we give advice to them then its depends upon them to take that advice in right manner ,but I don't think all kids taking it in positive manner more over they start comparing the things and try to save them self from the act they have done my saying that it happed just like that , they are not in the position to face the consequences and took the responsibility of the act done by them. More over there mind is not mature enough as a result most of the time I feel kids take our advice in little light manner. They feel elders are much strict with them then it supposed to be.

Not all kids are like that there are few very good kids who realized there mistake and shown the courage to face the consequences of there act. And in that aspects girls/females leading ahead.And when a kid post his question here has lot many factors attached to him like, environment around him, relationship he/she have with his friends,parents, partners, financial status,how he/she brought up,his/her siblings,where he/she live etc and all these factors affects him when hr/she read our reply and took a decision. So I think we have to also be care full when we reply these kids and give a good guidance for there better future.

What Guys Said 10

• Though few realize this, the human brain turns to lard at the age of 45, and none of us is worth the powder it would take to blow us up thereafter. In fact, I come to this site as often as I do, to procure advice on mundane matters in order to get through each and every day. If it weren't for the assistance given me by the 18-year-olds herein, I'd probably be living in a cardboard box and eating cat food. Bless you all.

• I think advice from older people can prove to be very valuable - time and age bring crucial life experience, and this is something that a younger generation could benefit from. In high school, I was painfully shy, thought that women were only interested in a certain subset of guys and knew next to nothing about dating and the opposite sex. But through learning from older people in my life and re-evaluating the person I wanted to be in response to their words and thoughts, I became a more complete, confident person - and I owe the people who advised me back then no end of an amount of thanks, as they helped me to become the man I am today.

Though culture and trends change over the years, how young people generally act does not. Older people were once young as well, and a lot of their advice can prove valuable if it is taken by welcoming, receptive ears who are willing to consider their point of view, and perhaps learn from it.

• Generally advice is most helpful from one of two groups. The first are people who have recently been where you've been and solved the problems that seem intractable to you. The second are a rare species that can get a good picture of what's going on just from a few tidbits. In between are 'the wise old fools' that have some experience but don't really understand the emotions of a person in turmoil.

• I think younger people have always disregarded adults who REFUSE TO LISTEN--a wise move, actually.

If I'm understanding and attentive, the kids talk plenty--and listen, too.

• if not just as valid, more valid. when I was in middle school/ high school I thought I knew everything, most kids usually do. The reason I say it may be more valid is because, older people have made the same mistakes that us younger people are going to make. so they understand what is going on and how they handled the situation. With age comes experience and with experience comes wisdom. However, some younger people are stubborn and will only listen to their peers. that's why its so hard to get through to certain teens.

• I sure hope so, I do not go out of my way to help another person for the hell of it. I'm 26, and I've never considered myself "young". As such, I highly respect older people and value their advice.

• I think it is true that older the person, more the weight his advice carries. There are things which were inherited from generation to generation, finally mconverting into proverbs like "old is gold" or "liek father, like son". These proverbs were made or came into existance just because of the experiance that older had faced. Usually advice from them can be usefull nomatter what the younger generation is suffering. That's just me.

• When I was younger I disregarded most advice given to me. But now I realize those elders who care about me have some very wise advice to give me.

• Maybe we should do a psychological study on it? ;P

• I'd say most people in general are more likely to listen to peers IF they believe they have gone through whatever it is first hand, and if they seem to understand where they themselves are coming from, I mean I'm twenty, I know I'm still young and if I got advice from a 36-45 something and they tried telling me something I had either already tried, doesn't relate to what I wanted help with or was just nonsense then I don't care what age they are I'll just feel more frustrated with their answer which indicates they don't relate to me and my problem than had I just not gotten an answer.

I believe in wisedom of older individuals than myself, it's simple they've lived longer than me, they should have gathered more experiences and knowledge than me... why wouldn't they be able to help me with something they went through? But not all older people are wise, and not all younger people are incapable of giving sound advice.

Hope this helps answer your question, and don't forget, some of us value informed and helpful people regardless of age. And best of luck to you and hope you have a wonderful tomorrow =)

What Girls Said 5

• I'm older too! *high fives*

I think one of the problems is that while the problems facing people may be quite universal (fear of rejection, fear of not meeting a suitable partner, sexual anxieties etc.), the contexts in which people operate at different ages vary considerably. Under the age of 18, financial worries are less likely to be an issue in relationships, for example!

I'm still young enough to remember what high school is like, and one thing that strikes me now is how very, very bizarre the culture of love and sex was. For instance, I see a lot of questions from guys under the age of 19 on here asking why women don't like 'nice guys', and why they prefer 'bad boys'. I feel like sitting them down and giving them a hug, and then explaining that it won't always be that way. I remember that the guys who were thought of as sexy in high school tended to be the jerks - big, loud, brash, confident guys, who thought they understood everything about girls, and bullied and intimidated the quieter, nerdier boys. Ten years later, however, the situation was reversed. The jerks were working crappy jobs, and the bragging seemed tiresome and boring. Meanwhile, the quiet, nerdy boys had all been to college, scored excellent grades, read a lot of books, grown up, learnt how to dress better and to handle themselves... and all of a sudden, they were the ones all the girls wanted to date. Where the jerks were basically still high school neanderthals, these guys could have an intelligent conversation about music and art. They knew how to talk to a woman, how to listen, how to be sensitive and caring, and they were exponentially better in bed because they paid attention to the woman's needs as well as their own.

So I guess both types of advice have their place. It's good for the young 'uns to hear from people their own age, who understand their context because they too are immersed in it. But, at the same time, it might help them to hear that the social hierarchies that operate in high school aren't permanent, and will change over time. It's a good balance! However, where this particular site falls over just a little bit is that there aren't enough older people who understand the context of relationships after the age of 25 to give advice to one another and provide support. Sometimes I wish there was a way of filtering the questions by age group!

• I think it depends on your relationship with the person giving you advice. Or at least it does for me. But on a site like this where no one really knows anybody else, good advice is good advice, regardless of age. Especially since the answers will be more objective. It's the same in real life, except that your relationships with the advice-givers might make you a bit biased in one way or another, as to how much you might value it or whether or not you're likely to follow it. In real life I think it more likely boils down to how much you value a person's opinion. There are several people in my life in your age-range whose opinions I value very much. And there are others whose opinions I couldn't give two s.hits about. It really varies from person to person.

I've seen a lot of your answers though, and I think you give pretty good advice. I noticed your age maybe once or twice, but it's never made a difference to me either way. Like I said, good advice is good advice.

• When I was in my teen years, I tended to rely on advice from people I related well to- and it wasn't always about age. Of course a lot of it came from my friends and my older sister, but I still had a few trusted older and wiser people I relied upon. I know I got some very good advice from my mom which I disregarded, but I also recieved advice from a great aunt which I found immensely helpful. I still find that my world view is quite different from my mother's and often seek out people I relate better to, but coming out on the other side of it in my mid twenties I can at least recognize when she has a good point and my best interests at heart. So, advise on and people will take it as helpful because they relate to you or they'll reject it as unhelpful because they don't, just as they do with people ages 14-20.

• If anything, it should carry more weight since the older gerations have more life experience in general. I think people that age don't take it as seriously because they think "grown-ups" don't remember what it's like to be old not that they don't know nessacerily. This is an interesting question and sometimes when I think about it I think people don't trust the answers from adults because their "time" was different and the world they lived in was different so they don't thoink they can understand the world today's youth live in. It's a really interesting concept, when you think about it.

• Whoops, meant to put what it's like to be young.

• Don't really pay attention to the name. I'll be sure to continue ignoring the name.

• To me it carries more. I would be more likely to take advice seriously that came from someone older who has been through it and learned from it, than someone with little to no life experience or someone who's in the same situation! Whenever I ask for advice, I ask someone older like 35+. Young people can give good advice too and be very helpful, and not all older people have any sense...but with age comes wisdom and I like to get the opinion of someone who has lived more. And then I'll ask my friends!