Is the single life great as people say it is?

I've been single for a very long time and i've basically stopped trying to get a girl after numerous failed attempts. I've heard that being single is great because of all the freedom you have (which is true), but can I be like this forever?

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of times you feel lonely. I'm 32 and I'm still single. I refuse to be with someone I don't really want to be with. I know people who jump from one relationship to the next so that they don't have to be single, but it's really not at all that bad. In fact, I refuse to give up my freedom and independence for a mediocre relationship. If a relationship isn't going to be fun and exciting then forget it. I know they all come with tough times, but it needs to be worth it for me to put up with.

On the other hand it's Friday night and I have nothing to do. That can get depressing, but that's what happens when you get older. All of your friends get married and settle down with someone, and that's where they spend all their time. You don't get to see them anymore. You can always try to make new friends who are also single but eventually those people find someone as well. So that's the downside to this, is dealing with the loneliness. You have to be happy with yourself and be pretty independent to be okay with this.

I'd love to have someone and be happy with that person, but it's also scary to me. After all the B. S. I put up with, with my ex-boyfriends, I'm way better off single than dealing with all the drama.

So I guess for people like me who view relationships so negatively, being single is way better. Maybe someone who has had better experiences would say otherwise.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hmm, lets see...

You don't have to worry about looking your best (unless you're on the prowl for some tail).

You don't need to deal with some other person's crazy baggage, other than your own of course.

You can do anything you want whenever you want without having to run it by someone who might want to do something else.

You can watch whatever you want, whenever you want. Oh, and movie night isn't "sit through some mushy rom-com until she works up the gumption to blow you" night.

Fast food, fast food for that lonely miserable soul of yours. But hey, fast food!

Can you be single forever? I dunno, I haven't finished testing that theory, I'll get back to you when I die..

What Girls Said 17

• Well it depends on the type of person you are. Some people really do value the autonomy that being single gives them. They can make their own choices as to what they want to do, where they want to live and who they see and when. When you are in a relationship, that kind of changes (a lot or a little depending on your partner).

Some people though (like me) really value and seek out relationships. I like having a boyfriend I can spoil and spend time with. That's just me. I don't restrict my boyfriend or make him do things so he still has some autonomy.

I think at your age it's tough. Most people at your age are so focused on either school or their career. I know when I was 22 it felt like no one wanted to be in a relationship. Now that I am 26 it feels like everyone is in one, is getting married, is moving in together and having kids.

I totally understand how you feel, If you want a girlfriend, then I would suggest keep trying. However, maybe try to keep yourself busy. This will help you take the focus off of your singledom and allow you to stay positive while you search.

TBH I think you will find someone eventually. It just may take time unfortunately. But in the meantime try to enjoy other things and keep your mind off of it. Good luck!

• I think the single life is good but having a partner is definitely still "better". At least for me. For me I try to enjoy being single and don't see it negatively but at same time a part of me is still looking forward to someday sharing my life with someone when the time is right. I wouldn't want to stay single forever though.

• It is while you're young and everything in life needs balance. But at 25 and above all your friends get married and only want to hang out with married people. Once you have established yourself financially and with responsibility going out become less fun and having someone to come home to makes more sense.

• Is the single life great as people say it is?
    It is for me. No submitting or catering to a guy. Way way way way less whining, nagging, pestering for sex. Variety of options so I am not stuck with the same old boring dud.

• Pestering for sex? Does that mean you dont like having sex that often?

• @flakosky
      Meh to me just because you would be losing doesn't make it unfair. It seems you have worked out though how to win going by your seeming perception of seeing relationships as a game.

• Unfortunately i dated a woman that wouldn't give or do anything without getting something in return and she always has to have a deal otherwise it wouldn't be fair. i guess i learned from her those bad habits that im glad are gone now. Cause i dont see it like that anymore. But when i was wit her i had to see it as some sort of game.

• I've been single for 20 years haha. Nearly 21. I'm fine with being single but it would be nice to have a boyfriend for a change.

• It depends on the person. I've only been single for a few months after a devastating break up. It was an unhealthy relationship but I was and am heart broken. Depending on the circumstances from before, it can be bad. Loneliness, sadness are two very important side affects from being single. But I believe being single is great cause you're independent, and you don't have to impress anyone. I like being single right now because I am finding out who I am ya know? Relationships can be a burden, a chore, a scapegoat for some people.

• Bring single is good nto great. Relationships are work. You have to be ready to work. That's why you have to find the right person for you who is worth it. And then it's great!

• Idc, I've been single my whole life, I have nothing to compare single life with, it's the norm for me.

• going good for me..

• Single people are so lucky, I wish I was single like seriously I wish, I'm in an abusive relationship where I try leaving but he emotionally abuses me too. Single life would be so good I just need that back, I can be carefree it just feels so good not having to be committed to anybody or not having anyone to answer to. I'm 17 and my boyfriend won't even let me go to a family relatives house let alone go shopping with friends or some shit. I've kinda broken up with him like an hour ago tbh so hopefully I'm single fml

• It depends for each person I know some people who hate to not be In relationship. I am one of those people who enjoy the single life of course because no man came around yet. But I am enjoying it and just waiting.

• Only if you just came out of a relationship, being single for a long period of time will cause you to get depressed and lonely.

• Sorta boring

• It's crap in my opinion. If everyone u want is out of reach its useless

• I personally don't think that single life is great. Ofcause it has some advantages but actually you can't be full without a partner. Having a partner means not only love but its friendships too. The closest frienships for ever.

• I'm unusually single most of the time and enjoy it. It all depends on your temperament and how much you enjoy solitude. Honestly, I miss sex more than anything from a relationship.

• While you are younger, yes it's great. As you said, you have way more freedom and your responsibilities are more realistic. When you add in another person, it can be more stressful. Sometimes it's worth all that, other times it isn't.

What Guys Said 28

• well one thing fosho, you save a lot more money.

• You always want what you can't have. The second you get into a relationship, you'll start romanticizing your single days. . . that is, until you break up. Then you'll be longing for a relationship again. I've been there too much.

• Yes, you're right single life is indeed great, it has unlimited benefits and freedom. I know it because I have always been single, and unlike you I have never even tried but that's fine and now I have decided to remain single forever ( till the end). Hence yes it's possible that you can be single forever, however let me tell you it's not going to be easy for you, it's never easy to follow this decision, hence make sure you have your own motivation to lead your life single till the end, make sure that this is what you want ( single forever).

• You are on the right track! Relationships are just constant drama!! They all come with 'BAGGAGE' and no matter what you say, you are never 'right' and always 'wrong'. Then there is the 'Toilet Seat issue!'
    I have a little dog, and she is ALWAYS excited, happy, when I come home, and all she needs is a walk, a few treats here and there, and a little belly-rubbing, and she is satisfied! No drama, no monthly sht, no arguments, just the perfect companion!!
    She never btches that I didn't do this, or that, or wash the dishes (She likes liking them out, like PRE-CLEANING!) She never makes me watch girlie movies, and NEVER leaves her 'intimates' in the bathroom, drying!
    Get a dog, and a hobby, and forget the women!!
    She even protects the house when I am gone!!

• I find it interesting that people automatically assume that single people are absolutely miserable. They must be, but it's not true. If you have to depend on someone else to make you happy, I would say you haven't discovered who you are yet, and you should continue to dig deep. There's nothing to hold you back when you are single, and you can truly be selfish and true to who you are.

• No you can't. Even if you had a lot of one Night stands and another girl every weekend. The day will come where the Girls around you look for real relationships, they want to settle and when you dont decide to sattle as well you'll live the rest of your life alone. And trust me, death isn't the thing you should be scared of. You should be scared of dying alone.

• Eh?
    Well it depends.
    No commitments.
    All the freedom.
    More disposable income.

Just get a gal if you wanna , if not ah well the bros are here for ya anyhow right?

• I mean being single is awesome because you're surrounded by options and stuff. The downside is that all the options around you are a big fucking mystery. You don't know where you stand with any of them unless they tell you. You have to go out and make the first move and learn to take more initiative. So the dance begins again for me and an exciting one it is.

• When you're in a relationship it's good because you know where you stand with one person and it can be very meaningful.

• It's only great if it's what you want and if you know how to live alone. I at first was upset and frustrated cause of that, now I love it, cause I've learned how to live that way.

• It's as great as you make it and as much as you are not dependent on the idea of what you are missing out on by being single

• Depends on you, if you don't mind or want to be single, life is great. If you want someone, then it's not.

• I've never known people who stay single forever! That's just a bullshit story your mind keeps telling you. Rather people should work hard, get settled with their life and then complain if they were to stay single forever

• No, the "freedom" they're talking about is the freedom of flirting and sleeping with anyone you want. In this case, you don't have this freedom anyway.

• No, it's fucking horrible.

• Depends on the person. I know I and others would love to be dating someone...

• I don't really know anything else. I've been single for 20 years, but i think it gets kinda lonely and think having a partner still would be nicer. At least for me. But it depends on your own needs i think

• Yes, it's awesome! You don't have to worry about other people's problems - only your own.

• Nope, it's not great at all.

• Only if you want to.

• No, it sucks

• No, not really.

• I'm not so sure. I've never been in a long-term relationship so I have nothing to compare it to.

• After the last breakup, it's amazing ^_^

• It's great in the sense that you're free to see and kiss and fuck anyone you find attractive... but it does get lonely.

• Dude, why are you asking actual questions here? People are super-jaded and largely anti-male here, you aren't going to get actual help.

GaG is for dicking around and answering female questions.

• Been single for a year and 2 months after a 5 year relationship let me tell you that life is amazing. I couldnt be happier although i have my lonely moments which is when i wish i had a girlfriend to talk to about anything and everything you want and hang out whenever. Those are the moments that you work on your self to get better and do whatever you love to do. Sports, work out, play instruments, etc.

On the other hand friends will not always be there for you like a girlfriend will.

The single life is soo much fun when your young but once you start feeling like you want to be with someone you will want to look for someone unless your strong and you stay single.

• to me, once I hit 22 it got old, and it gets more depressing by the second

• Believe me, it's not, I'm single my whole misarable life (36 years old virgin) :(