People who are willing to date outside their ethnicity and religion: would you still marry in spite of parental disapproval?

I just saw a question without a poll about parental disapproval in general.

In this quesiton, I want to isolate the reason for disapproval which is different ethnicity/race.

If you personally were okay with the idea, but your family wasn't, would you still marry him or her?

• Yes
  • Yes to ethnicity, but not religion
  • Yes to religion, but not ethnicity
  • No
  • I'm not willing to date outside my ethnicity/religion
  • See results

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents told me if Iove someone they will never stand in the way of that so im lucky enough I won't be in that position. They weren't thrilled when I was seeing a guy who was muslim, but more because they were worried about me because they knew it couldn't work out because of his family (it didn't work because of his family lol). If it was the other person's family I don't know if I could do it because I wouldn't want to make him choose between me or his family. I would be willing to deal with them never fully approving but I would not want to ruin his relationship with his family.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know I'd have to see how much I love the girl.
    If I love her a lot and she makes me happy, is not religious than it would be fine. I'm ok with dating/marrying a secular girl but I would prefer she be atheist like me. If she's White my folks won't have a problem with her, but I wouldn't mind an Asian or Latino girl.

What Girls Said 6

• My husband is white like me but a different ethnicity (and nationality), and even if my parents didn't like it I would have still married him.

I don't think I understand the poll options, though. In the question details, you mention ethnicity and race, but in the poll you mention religion instead of race. Before I vote, which one is it?

• There's a big difference between refusing to date outside your religion vs refusing to date outside your ethnicity. I wish the two were split up.

• I see what you mean but in that case, just pick one of the "Yes to..., but not..."

• I did. But the agreeing to both plus parent disapproval thing made me question if I would muddle your poll results.

• Good point. Belief systems go beyond mere outward appearances.

• Yes. But I doubt my parents would disapprove. I have a very, very, very diverse family. We truly don't discriminate.

• While I think it would be very difficult to marry someone whom your parents do not approve of, mainly because they have such an influence on you, that if you do go ahead it will unfortunately really hurt your relationship.

They say family, money and sex are often the reasons leading to break-ups.

• it would be my life and happiness so they should support me being happy, if not I'll do it anyway.

• My parents are open minded so it's not a problem but yes. It's not about what they want, it's what I want.

What Guys Said 6

• My parents wouldn't disapprove for reasons of religion or ethnicity, but even if they did it wouldn't stop me.

• my parents may have brought me into this world and raised me. but as soon as i am independent, they have no control over what i do or who i marry

• I don't have any plans for marriage. At least yet. Wouldn't stop me if I did decide to marry if she were of a different ethnicity or religion.

• Ethnicity yes, religion no. Religious differences NEVER work out!

• if they don't like her that is their problem

• i dont care... largely since my folks aren't racist shits...