Is it fair to say as a generalisation the average guy has a mental age 2 years younger than his actual age and the average girl 2 years more mature?

So a couple who are both 20 is like a 22 yo woman dating an 18 yo guy...

Most Helpful Guy

• Not really.
    Generally (and we are talking huge sweeping generalisations here) guys and girls focus on different aspects of their lives... and sometimes this will look like immateurity.
    For instance a lot of grown women naiivly believe in starsigns, true love and such long after men. But on the other hand guys will do stupid, physically dangerous, things in the name of a laugh far later in life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not sure about the 2year thing but generally women are more mature than an equal aged guy. That's one reason I prefer to date older guys.

What Guys Said 32

• I think it's generally true that women mature faster than men. But that doesn't mean it's always true and I think going so far as to put a number of years on it is maybe implying a level of predictability that is really not there.

• I think from reading the responses I shouldn't have a time on the difference, I should have just asked if a 20 year old woman is more mature than a guy of the same age. Thanks anyway though.

• I just described the truth. women are women. they are simple pretty creatures.

• @dudeman so are raccoons

• All of the 20 or even 30+ year old drama queens beg to differ.

• I've seen 25-29 women here asking about how their partner does this and that and she's all up crazy about it when in reality she just has to sit down and start being mature instead of stirring drama over nonsensical things.

People say that generalization all the time, but I think it only applies when you're between the 11 to 20 range.

• That is not true at all, in my experience, guys tend to be more mature than the girls, I know that's in my case and in my friend's case.
    So in my experience, it would actually be the opposite.

• I think immaturity is different for women and men. I'm going to say no, but I think when men are immature it shows more, because usually they do stupid things. Like speeding down a side road when they're drunk, or blasting their music in their car to the point of causing themselves hearing loss. For women, it's usually drama, applying make up in the car while driving, entitlement and excessive diva-ness. I don't know I can just see it in both genders on a daily basis. Another way of putting it, is women are more mild in their immaturity, and men are much more drastic.

• I agree with this for the most part. I never dated girls in high school because I was a bad boy, and I didn't care for them. Despite having girls interested in me.

That's why girls often date older guys, because they're more mature.

Even now, at 19 I'm still immature. With the addition of my ADHD. I still do stupid shit, and act like a fool. Not that I give a shit.

• no I seriously believe women mature to the age of 14 way faster then guys but stay there for a lifetime. men just age normally and by 18 are light-years ahead of what women could ever achieve.

• It depends on your definition of maturity. Women have across the board maturity, while men tend to have compartmentalized maturity. We can be extremely mature when it comes to certain things, like responsibilities, but when it comes to having fun, we are generally immature about it. So it's really a matter of perspective.

• it's fair if it's true, but I don't think there is any way of measuring this absolutely..

• That's extremely sexist get out!
    Seriously what are you talking about
    Maturity has little to do with sex and everything to do with life experience

• We guys keep this secrete among our selves. The secrete is the older you feel or the older you act the older you will get. Me I want to stay as young as possible.

• I think it's the exact opposite.

• No it's not fair to say. It's sexist and demeaning. And illogical.

What's your evidence? Your feelings?

• I'd say that's the reason Women date older Men.

• Not. At. All. I don't know where you're getting that from but it's ridiculous and a bad stereotype.

• So no actually has the mental age of how old they are, shit male babies have a brain age of negative 2 and girls can just walk out the womb

• At your age yes. When you get older no.

• It is just a generalisation. Just like stereotypes it isn't always true. There are many exclusions :)

• I don't know. I've seen 12 year olds more mature than 50 year olds.

• Nope, I would disagree with that. At some point the two will meet.

• Not a chance in hell. See women don't mature to the same level as men, not by a long shot. Women are generally stuck in high school until they hit their mid 30s and realize they need to grow the fuck up. Men hit that age usually around 22 at least at some extent.

• absolutely not. values are just different based on the gender role. "maturity" is exactly the same most of the time.

• It really isn't since I know guys younger than me who are much, much more mature than some girls my age. This psychology "rule" never made sense to me since everyone grows in different environments and such.

• Nope.
    ----

• Are mental age and maturity the same thing?

Girls go for the less mature guys anyway, the female preference for older guys is about wealth/status not emotional connection.

• Some girls are just plain stupid

• That's just another old wive's tale like "women endure pain better than men", which of course has been scientifically proved to actually be the other way around.

• I'm 21, and laugh harder at SpongeBob and other cartoons like that than children the show it was supposed to be made for.

• In teen years, perhaps, but by early 20's and beyond, not at all. There are lots of exceptions, males and females, but generally I'd say a lot of women mature fast in their teens... but that's as far as they go. Men are still not that mature in their teens, but when all goes well, they continue maturing a lot beyond that.

• That makes no sense at all. Men and women on average just approach life differently. What does 'maturity' even mean?

• More from Guys
    2

What Girls Said 2

• How much maturity do 2 years contain exactly?
    Kind of confusing and incredibly subjective.

• No, that would not be fair to say...