What do you generally do during a date/ your first date?

I know there can be special occasions but under normal circumstances what do you do?
Do you just do whatever or only getting to know each other is important?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 8

• I think the best is to do a combination of having fun and getting to know each other, and to do different things, not always the same. So one day, go to the movies, another day, go for some beers, another time, go to a party together, another time, cook at home, etc...

• Well typically the goal is getting to know each other; if you knew each other a fair amount beforehand, it's more about having fun and getting a feel for each other. Every date I've been on we either go out to eat, go out to do an activity we can do together (mini put, the arcade) or even walks where we can talk and just chill. I've even had a date that consisted of us playing video games and ordering food. Just depends.

• I feel it is a bit difficult to date a girl that you knew a fair amount beforehand when you were a guy as most guys do not know how just to make friends with girls while girls have more guys who pursue them anyway. But I will work on that. You are a real inspiration to me; I would date any girl who would like to play video games with me. Not that I am an extreme gamer, but I think we would 100% on the same page during the time we were playing.

• Thank you. I appreciate that. I hope things work out for you.

• Well it all depends on whether i asked him out or he asked me.
    If i ask a guy out i like to do something during the day on the weekend. Like going for a walk or hike, go-cart racing or something fun and physical. On the first date i want to get a better feel of the other person. I don't really like those interview type dates they make me nervous and i think a lot of the time you aren't really getting to know the person anyway.
    But if he asked me out i generally just go along with what they decide to do.

• I agree that you get to know more of a person by experience not by talks.

• I don't know, I'm usually pretty terrified to be honest. Really i'd like him to make a move first, like grabbing my hand or giving me a hug or kiss on the cheek when he sees me. I tend to date really shy guys so that usually doesn't happen. My first real first date was last year, when i got picked up an taken to the movies by this guy who was a little older. He didn't try anything at the movie theatre but he picked us to sit in the very back of a practically empty theater, watching a PG movie. We didn't talk hardly at all and awkwardly chatted the ride there and back. When he did drop me off, he walked me to my door and turned to leave. And i said "wait!" and ran up and gave him a hug, and thanked him for taking me out, that i had a good time.. etc.
    So honestly, i wouldn't have minded him kissing me or holding my hand or whatever. You're a 22 year old man so i'm assuming you've been on a first date before. Talk to her and ask some non-invasive questions, but don't make it feel like an interview. Make sure you smile when you see her and tell her how nice she looks. Wear a little bit of good smelling cologne, Dn't drench yourself in axe or old spice. A little goes a LONG way, especially with cologne. dress nicely for whatever date you're going on, and if it's and outdoor date, make sure you wear a clean jacket or sweatshirt that you could give to her if she's cold. (Pro Tip: "forgetting" to take your hoodie back and leaving it smell like cologne, she'll probably take it home and sleep in it. If she's super nice, she'll wash it and give it back and it'll smell like her perfume, otherwise, it might be gone forever.)

• **DISCLAIMER** Take into consideration that i'm a little girl in high school and i only know how to give high school relationship advice. I know nothing about how a woman wants to be treated, and i'm hopeful that you're not going to be going on a date with a highschooler

• Thank you so much for explaining it in such delicate details upon your personal experience. It is really interesting to read your story and learn things girls think at your age. I think what you wrote about keeping your boyfriends' shirt and the experience of hugging your date at the last moment were romantic, keep that going and you will mostly find true love. For me, I will keep going and be as casual as possible with a girl like you suggested. And COUNTERPARTY DISCLAIMER: I will not date a high schooler for sure.

• Anything that requires or allows us to talk and get to know each other. Avoid the movies.
    Usually get something to eat, walk around the lake, go to the beach...

• I really prefer walking and talking with a girl at the same time rather than talking to her at a restaurant. The only problem is that before you get know know whether she likes it or not I am afraid it will bore her away

• Anywhere we end up! LOL
    On my first date with my current boyfriend.. we started at the movies, then went for a stroll along the river and eventually ended up at a restaurant.. twas great :)

• Take her to a pretty setting with a picnic! Or if it's cold, take her to shoot pool or go to a shooting range. I'm at work and three drunk chicks just gave their opinions lol

• Good suggestions. I hope we can find each other in time at a shooting range playing one on one, with your drunk chicks...

• Sounds like a blast to me lol. I like casual first dates.. More like a fun hang out than a dinner. Those seem like interviews to me. I'd rather see someone in their natural elements to see if we r compatible.

• Get to know each other.

What Guys Said 14

• First date is usually avoiding movie/highly cost activities AT ALL.
    Movie is boring, it disallow you both to connect by talking.
    Highly cost activity like expensive dinner, is sub-communicating you're bribing her for sex.

Anything less stressful, fun to do, it works.
    Try not to plan so much before the date, it will put u in stressful mode.

• You made a point. Even it is not about sex, high expectation might lead to stress.

• Oh you were talking about blind dates. Ok I will blind date like that if it works on me

• My situation was where i meet a woman online, if you have established some talks with the woman in real life, u may just go with what you want. But avoid spending whole day date with her on the 1st date because you haven't been familiar with her. Set the date going after late afternoon is the best strategy cause if you manage to get her superb attracted to you, its easier to 'make a move' during the night time because the atmosphere allows it, it's more romantic.

• I don't have normal circumstances lol.
    My first girlfriend our first date was at a theme park. Second girl, first date at the movies.
    Third girl, we had dinner at her place after we went out to the park.
    Next girl... we had sex first actually and then she showed me around Las Vegas xD.

• I guess I just have to figure out the getting-along part, and let the rest flow then.

• *nods*. That excited yet comfort with eachother is most important in regards to a first date.

• ... meet her parents-let them get a sense if who you are and why their daughter will be in good hands before you take her out (while you get a sense of how they are), take her out to a movie, eat (meanwhile get to know her on a personal level by asking her views), and take her back home on time.

• I'm so glad I don't live in a country where you need to introduce yourself to her parents on only the first date. That sucks man.

• I think it is a good way to start a date. But I don't think everyone can manage the parent thing very well as having the date is making them nervous enough

• My go to first date is we go out for dinner and drinks, walk by the river while eating ice cream and talking with the city as the backdrop, take the ferry and kiss her on there. Works like a charm.

• Funny thing that happened two days ago on my first date with this girl was we had dinner and drinks, walked to her favorite tree by the river (asked her to show it to me bc I though it would be the perfect first kiss place), climbed the tree and talked for 30min, got off, looked into her eyes and went for the kiss, we kiss, then we hear a drunk guy pissing in the river 20 yards away from us as we're kissing (didn't see him before that since it was pretty dark), we stop and start laughing and the guy yells sorry for ruining your moment hahaha it was hilarious.

• Can you elaborate please?

• Oh. Sorry. What I have said without much thinking in the brain was just to express my admiring feeling towards how you think what happened on your first date was hilarious... Sorry, I 've been reading too much lately when I write my brain tend to copy the exact writing styles. But anyway the guy who was drunk showed respect to you both, and I think it enhanced your relationship since not only you have had kissed her, but also experienced something with her from a third party.

• First dates are extremely important to me, so I try everything to keep them upbeat and interesting.

I will usually take them to a fun activity like bowling, iceskating or a fair and then to a bar for a nice chat.

• Usually, take her to the movies or go out to dinner, usually finish it off at a music venue and take her home and land the first kiss, first date is all about romance. Second date is more of a fun event, take her ice skating, roller blading, outdoor activity etc.

• I will remember the word romance.

• Thanks you helped a lot. Maybe that is why girls love to send signals and see how guys react, they wanna know if a guy is capable of "sweeping" around her. And also thanks for the sex tip = = Your short answers are really valuable...

• no problem

• Do sow thing fun, but that you can talk. First dates are about getting to know the other person, so you want to make sure that happens

• Talk eat kiss (it doesn't have to be in that exact order)

• As for the romantic parts, I'd probably be too shy to do any more than hug at most... 😣

• A hug of romance would be enough :)

• Oh I am terribly sorry about that. I am sure you loved her with all your heart.

• I'll try to keep this short...
      I was away from her with no way of contacting her because of her parents, and because my dad needing to move a lot. I waited about 10 years until the day we finally moved to her state again. We went on 2 extremely casual dates as we talked about our future before I had to move with no contact yet again. A few years later my mom learned of her death. Not once in all those years she was alive did I ever so much as "check out" another girl.

• Food is always first choise my friend so ask her whats her fav food (not place) that she eats and pick similar... Talk about small things matbe if she's a pet owner there's a good starting point

• Yeah, "ordering the same food she likes at her favorite restaurant and talk small" Thanks so much.

• I get a friend to stage a mugging. That way I get my money back for paying for the date

• Nothing ha I'm seen as not good enough to date by every girl I talk to so I gave up on that

• go out for food or something
    help answer my?

• I always keep it casual. Dinner and then some time in the park. I usually try and seal the deal at the end of the date as well.

• How exactly do you seal the deal is what I am eager to know..

• "So I kept pushing for it by constantly kissing her".
      Nice and encouraging.

• Sometime I wish women can make the move instead of sending cues if she really want it instead of wanting to test it..