Is it wrong for me to have standards when it comes to dating women?

Me and my mother got in an argument because I said I have to be attracted to a girl before I date her. I told her I want a girl who is smart, has a nice personality, and is attractive. But she said if she is attractive she must have no brains and she would only date a guy for his money and use him. I told her that is ridiculous. She said that if my dad had standards he would not have dated her so I should be the same as him. like I said I care about brains and personality but I also care about how she looks.

Most Helpful Girl

• Obviously this is really subjective. But I agree with you. Everyone is attracted to different appearances and physical qualities. It's hard to get really into someone w/o that initial "spark" and usually that spark comes from being physically attracted to someone! Doesn't mean you don't care about their OTHER qualities!

Most Helpful Guy

• In this case your mother is wrong, and there is nothing wrong with having standards and those are 3 very simple ones that won't be to terribly hard to find.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 2

• It's not 'wrong', as long as your standards are not unrealistically high. And it seems like you have reasonable standards.

• Your mother is an idiot. It's better to wait to date a woman you like than to be stuck forever with one you can't stand.