How long is it ok for a guy not to let a girl know that they're not dating anymore (no relationship)?

So he's told me he's made his choice. He wants to date me and get serious. However he hasn't talked to the other girl he dated in a couple of weeks, but he feels he still has to talk to her about this. I'm not seeing the point, as I would've moved on after not communicating with a guy for several weeks (girls am I right?), but he feels it's the right thing to do. So how long is it acceptable for him to not talk to her? He's hesitant about getting closer and more serious, since he still feels responsible for the other girl's feelings.
To be completely clear: they do not have a relationship and he and I and he and her met around the same time.

What Guys Said 1

• I can see its reasonable for him to let her know, but really it's just a phone call.

• It's sure a nice thing of him to want to do, but after not talking for weeks already I wonder if it's a bit of a moot point now

• It's a phone call, not a negotiation. Call, leave a message if they don't pick up.

What Girls Said 1

• He wants to be fair with her and he wants to let her know that he is no longer interested in her. I don't think you should worry too much about it.

• He's been wanting to let her know for 2 weeks, almost three actually. He should either do it or forget about it. I'm just wondering how long he can take before it's considered stringing someone along