What do you think of a 21 - 16 year old relationship? Is that socially/sexually acceptable?

I'm just wondering. When my boyfriend was 21 he went it with a girl who was 16 at the time. They had sex although things didn't work out between them.

he's 31 now and I'm 23. It makes me feel a little uneasy personally knowing he's been with a girl who was that young.

Is it as bad as I'm thinking?

Most Helpful Guy

• I dont think its sexually or socially acceptable, there has to be something seriously wrong with you if you're going after 16 year old girls when you are 21. And you know what the funny thing is, your age gap is even bigger.

• Yeah, I know. But isn't 16 the legal age to have sex/get married? It is in the uk anyway.

• Then I dont think you have anything to worry about, 10 years is a long time and he has probably changed since he regrets it. And if he had exclusively dated women a lot younger than him then that might have been a concern, but since he hasn't I dont think you should worry about it.

• I guess you're right enough, thank you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Your going to get a lot of opinions on this..

I think that a guy who prowls and seeks out way younger women is scary to me and grosses me out a bit. I've known older men who date younger women because "they are easier to mold" or "are less opinionated"

That being said however, I think there are many situations where someone older will end up with someone younger because of circumstances. Because they look younger themselves, act younger and get on better with younger people, or sometimes you meet someone with chemistry and they just happen to be younger.

My opinion comes from being taken advantage of older men when I was younger. (I was 15, he was 23) Older people should know better, when your young your mind hasn't developed as much.

• Yeah, I can't say it sits entirely easy with me. He is nice and all, but personally I feel that sixteen is still very young...

• Oh, sorry to hear, even if it was for the best, it's still always hard :(. The older you get the less age really matters since your both mentally developed. I dated a 31yr old when I was 22 and it felt really normal at the time. Now that I'm older I can look back and understand that he was really immature for his age.

• You're right yeah. That's exactly it! Yup, the guy I was with 30 and I'm 22 happens to be very immature for his age too, more immature than me I'd say and I don't even know what causes him to be like that either :/ but oh well, onwards and upwards!

What Guys Said 2

• It is very bad, as well as illegal? Pretty sure that makes him a pedophile, and you should definitely break up with him.

• But, the legal age is 16 to have sex (in the uk anyway) is it not?

• It used to be 13 in Japan not too long ago, do you think that's still okay? If you were 21 would you be having sex with a 13 year old just because it was legal? No, that scars children and changes them for the rest of their lives. Laws are not much of a standard to base your morals on, sounds to me like the guy went after someone as young as he possibly could.

Tell me though, what made them break up?

• 13? Oh my gosh no way? Definitely not right at all, I'm with you there. She split with him. From what I hear she was just down for whatever (still is to be fair) and he was too at the time. They only went out for about a month or so. And no I'm not defending him... it doesn't sit easy with me either.

• It's illegal for a reason.

• It's not illegal, it is legal.

• @Asker sorry i thought it was bc one of them is not an adult. Well that's the past now and it's better to move on, but if i were in that guy's place i wouldn't have had sex with a 16 year old.

• Yep, I wouldn't have had either.

What Girls Said 0