How much of a turn off is cussing?

I'm bad with it. I did 4 years in the Marine Corps and it has completley ruined my vocublary and made me retarded. Every other word is fuck. I'm working on changing it..

• It's fine.. I cuss all the time
  • Trashy..

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like people use curse words too much these days and that they don't mean as much to them anymore. Like when they were first being used they were supposed to be a major insult and today almost no one takes them that way anymore, but I do. So when I hear other people using curse words it just makes me upset, and they don't even have to be cussing at me! Plus for people that use them a lot in one conversation to me it just seems like they can't think of any other words to say that have the same meaning, not necessarily unintelligent but with limited vocabulary. It's hard to explain it any other way without it seeming like an insult, but I'm just being honest.

Most Helpful Guy

• There is not really anything wrong with it, but it's not the best habit either.

I wasn't in the Marines, but I was similar. I worked in construction for years. I could easily use fuckin' several times per second. When I got out of construction and started working in offices again, it took me several years to start being civilized again.

This thing is that it can be controlled. Even when you were a Marine I bet you toned it down if you were around ladies, and especially children. So it can be done even when you are in the habit of cussing all the time. It might take some time, but it's not that hard to quit, or at least keep it to an acceptable minimum.

What Girls Said 20

• I can deal with swearing when it's in the right context, like you're angry or explaining how f-cking awesome something is but if it's every other word, just makes you sound really really dumb and uneducated. You can always warn girls before hand, also a great chance to tell them that you were in the marine corps.

• look if it's the occasional slip of the tongue or it doesn't come up too often i dont care, but if he can't get through a few sentences without using a cuss word, it's a super turn off.

also, some words offend me more than others. for example, if u use the c bomb on me or anyone else, my respect for u is almost completely destroyed.

• i dont think its a turn off... but i dont cuss and dont like being cussed at. but its not the worst thing in the world.

• For me, it's asinine to judge. I know people who have a curse word in every other sentence... and it doesn't bother me.

As long as you're not cursing at me, I'm fine with any dude doing it. I don't curse all the time... only when dealing with fools or another frustrating situation.

• If it's seldom then I can let it slide. But if it's habitual and you can't control it around my family, any children, formal situations, etc. It would definitely be a problem.

• I'm totally fine with it. I'm actually the same way, you hear it so often that it doesn't even register after a while, I have to make a conscious effort to tone it down sometimes depending on the situation.

• Here's my deal: If the guy swearing isn't going to be upset by my vocabulary, he can say whatever the f*ck he wants. I've grown up in a family with a father who swears like a sailor, and I've never tried watching my language at home, so that was what I've grown up saying. My friends (all guys) swear and I make no effort to hide it. My boyfriend is a shitload more reserved than me but he loves me regardless of the vocabulary. By the way, thank you for serving our country!

• only when needed but if its used in every phrase then its a turn off

• Moderate for me. I used to cuss like a sailor but I rarely cuss now. As long as every other sentence doesn't have a cuss word attached I'm good.

• Well if it is, then I'm fucking screwed.

• I think it can be kind of funny sometimes. But the first thing you think when you meet a guy who says the f word every other word is, "well, I can't ever let this one meet mom and dad."

• Like every other word? Damn, that would get annoying.

Sometimes it can be hot though.

• If it's for a joke, or emphasis. It can be funny.

Personally, I'm okay with guys doing it more than I'm okay with swearing for myself. For some reason.

But every sentence or two does look trashy.

• cursing in times of utter frustration and anger is understandable
    otherwise, it's a turnoff if it's part of your normal, everyday conversation

• Every now and then is okay but too often is a turn off.

• Saying retarded sounds dumber than fuck and shit.

• I hate it tbh. Total turn-off.

• I personally don't think it's a turn off because I personally swear a lot. As long as you don't do it in front of young children i think its alright

• I don't mind some cussing, it's good to know he's not uptight about that kind of thing, but every other word is too much.

• Put a bar of soap in your mouth every time you cuss.

• Lol. Don't know if that'll work anymore. My mom would beat my ass if I cussed as a child. Only white people do the soap thing.

• Anybody can do that. Maybe you should create a swear jar and put $1 in every time you cuss.

What Guys Said 19

• I'm really liking this woman I work with, and privately, or when nobody is around she curses so as to make a construction worker blush!! She SAYS WHAT SHE THINKS, and doesn't care (within reason, when alone) knowing that I LOVE how she SAYS WHAT SHE THINKS, HOW SHE THINKS!
    It isn't offensive to me, because I like that she ACTUALLY says what she feels!!! FCK YEAH!!!
    She can be the 'pretty little lady', but she can also drink like a sailor, and say what she feels!!
    If only she was 'available!!'

• Sitting down to Thanksgiving dinner with your extended family and saying "Pass the fucking salt" will not go over well. I spent 20 in the Navy and feel your pain, man.

• For me it's a 1000% turn off, it's totally unappealing to me, when people do that. I don't understand why people do this? what are they to achieve by this? It sounds stupid and illogical that people do this!!

• Cussing for girls is kinda adorable sometimes!!!

I swear online/texting, and in the car. That's it, IRL i don't really swear.

• U lift bro.. you can cuss.

• FUCK YEAH!!! haha. I know what you mean about the marines tho, same thing with a buddy of mine!

• For a women I find it to be a complete turn off. For other guys it may cause me to question their intelligence. Personally I only swear if I am genuinely angry. Though I don't particularly care if others swear for the most part, though I will avoid bringing people who swear along with others who do not, for diplomatic reasons.

• I'd rather a woman cuss than faux cuss. I. e. darn, dang, crap, frickin, fing, dag nab it, poopie. If your going to go that far just say the fucking cuss word. Working in male dominated blue collar jobs most of my life has numbed me to cuss words. While I don't swear all that often, it is still a part of my vocabulary that I rather like and find it cute when woman do.

• I prefer little to no cussing if possible I rarely cuss and I would prefer if my partner was the same, cussing a lot is kind of trashy, unattractive trait for me.

• No option for a middle ground? I can't find a woman attractive if she curses like a sailor. However, I don't care if she makes an exclamation if she stubs her toe or gets scared.

It'll only make it worse if she's naturally loud. I like a woman who can keep her cool.

• I was gonna tell ya most girls don't like it but the poll is split.
    Form a girl, it's cute to me if it's not every other word :D

• Depends on the quantity. I don't care if people curse, but if we're talking eminem level of cussing I assume you have angel issues lol

• Major turn off. Dont like people who dont watch their language. It makes them seem cocky and an obnoxious kunt

• If you're Ex-or Active Military, it can be seen as a coping mechanism, since, "War is Hell." For the general population of Civilians, it's completely uncalled for most of the time.

• Do what ya want, but in my mind it's immature.

There is no need to cuss, but if they want to then that's up to the person.

• Only after she swears more than me. That's not really attractive because that would be overusing it.

• Did you get your cussing from the military? Is there a reason why?

• As long as you don't use it in every sentence.

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

• I got into the habit of swearing a lot in university. My wife did too. We had to learn to stop when we had kids, lol.

I still, with friends, like swearing when i'm happy. I actually don't swear when mad.

• A small amount is tolerable. Cursing every other word is not sexy.