Would you date someone who's the complete opposite of your personality?

I like this guy who's incredibly shy, and I'm usually super talkative. Do you think that dating someone who's personality is very different than yours can help you develop a better tolerance for others?

• I would date someone opposite my personality
  • I don't care about personality, I mostly focus on looks.
  • I would want to date someone with a very similar personality as me
  • Results/See answers

Most Helpful Guy

• Being talkative is not a problem, the real question is whether your core values and what you want in life are somewhat similar. There is a girl who lives in the same flat as me, I don't mind that she is social; but she is also into spiritualism and other crazy shit and her views are not negative but inherently sexist, we would rip each other apart and I am generally not interested whatsoever.

So I voted C), but it is not a question of shyness but what you enjoy and what you do and how you make your decisions and what you think and how you think about things.

Most Helpful Girl

• My boyfriend and I were opposites when we started dating. We've helped each other grow and get out of our comfort zones. Dating someone who's the complete opposite of your personality can make you a better person & has the potential to turn into something long term

What Guys Said 15

• Opposites do sometimes attract but they don't usually work in the end. Yes I've dated opposites but won't anymore

• Opposites attract but likes can go for the long haul.

• I'm shy, and I like talkative girls. I don't look for a personality very similar to mine; I just look for a personality that I like.

• If I were that guy I'd probably avoid you. Don't get me wrong, not saying there's anything inherently bad about you - it's just that talkative people tend to drain non-talkative people's energy real quick.

• Couples will have conflicts when their personality (aka beliefs, values) is different, long term saying.

• I think when people think of someone who is their complete opposite, they're only considering the positive opposites lol

• Think about it, people... If you're clean, they're dirty. lol If your house is nice, they live in a trap house prolly lol

• I have dated someone with the complete opposite personality. A way I can describe our differences is if I went to a party, it would be a loud party with dancing and playing games. He would go to a party where everyone was wearing tuxes and sipping tea, rubbing elbows with professors.
    It only lasted a month. Not because of differences though, so I would try dating a complete opposite again

• complete opposite? no probably not I do like to have at least a handful of similarities so we can have something to relate to and talk about or do.

• Hell no I wouldn't.

• I could give it a go why not try?

• Some people say opposites attract. That's certainly true for me.

• I would have to, no other choice... I'm too shy, so I need an assertive and self-confident girlfriend.

• Yes I would, because I'm submissive, so I need a dominant girlfriend ;)

• It depends what you mean by personality...

I would date someone who's extroverted while I'm introverted myself. But I wouldn't want to be with a selfish narcissist, which would also be opposite to me in some ways.

• For all you "opposites attract" people: studies show that a major cause of divorce among people married 8+ years is disagreements over politics and religion, or when personality traits are opposite (slovenly versus neat freak, etc.)

What Girls Said 15

• The same personality would be boring to me. I don't really want to date a male version of myself. When I met my boyfriend we were both attracted to each other but he is so different. Our spiritual and cultural values are pretty similar and we can laugh about similar things. He can be silly and so can I. He's more talkative than I am. In the beginning we clashed quite a bit because we were trying to get used to one another plus it started out as long distance. Since he loves me he knows how to listen a lot more now and we don't argue nearly as much lol. I'm more opinionated than he is and he's way more laid back. It was hard work but we're crazy about each other so we worked with our differences and it's fun for us both now. He can give me advice and I give it to him. If he was similar to me, I feel like I wouldn't grow as much as a person in the relationship and I want that. I want my ideas to be challenged every so often. It's healthy for my mind. Plus when he gets all intellectual on me I can barely keep my hands off him. lol

• i think we would do ok for a bit, but we probably wouldn't last long, simply because so many problems would arise.

so nah i probably wouldn't. i do know it can work out though. my parents r like that.

• Lol, I would date someone the opposite of me. It might be hard though... My best friend and I are so opposite and we bicker like a married old couple and I'm always mad at him for something, although I think that has more to do with his personality in general than the fact that he and I are so opposite...

• My boyfriend and I have very different personalities. He's extremely social and I'm very quiet and shy. It has been a learning curve for both of us, but so far we have worked things out and we both admire each other's characters.

• They are too slow for me. No.

• Yeah i think I feel the same way sometimes. The guy I like can be too quiet sometimes, he doesn't like talking all the time like I do. But i still can't help but like him for some reason...

• I dated a guy for 2 years (recent split) who literally was my opposite in every way. We didn't have anything in common, stuff like food, activities, movies, music, passions. From now on I need someone I have things in common with. That whole relationship was just both of us pretending to be interested in what the other person was. After the relationship got more serious it wasn't just our lifestyles and interests that were different it was our morals and values as well. He would actively avoid hearing differing ideas to his own and I love talking about differences. It was all too much in the end. I need someone similar to me.

• Some one opposite bc if we are both depress who gonna make me laugh.

• I mainly focus on looks, but they have to have similar personality as me.
    I am more childish and immature/tomboy-ish. So I would prefer someone childish and immature or playful.
    It gets awkward when I'm the immature one and I'm hanging out with someone that's "mature"... It gets silent quickly. I can't stand that.

~~I need someone with the same energy as mine.~~

• I'm in this situation right now and it's kinda hard TBH LOL

• Sometimes opposites attract. A shy guy with a talkative girl works out great.

• my biggest crushes have been with people who have completely contrasting personalities!!! if you like him a lot see what you can do... message me if you want any advice, i like talking stuff out

• Opposites attract

• Depends. If you mean someone who is just the complete opposite of my personality traits, as in someone who is whiney and taking active part in the "eternal victim" disease that is currently in outbreak all over the world, then no absolutely not. But if you mean some awesome person who is just very, very different from me, then yes.

• I am not into opposite attraction.
    It won't workout for me in the long term.

So I would date someone with similar views/personality.

❤✌