Guys: would you be willing to put your career on hold for the woman you're in love with?

• yes, to be able to afford putting her through school.
  • yes, to spend more quality time at home with the kids.
  • yes, for any other reason she needs/want you to.
  • not for anything.
GIVE REASONS TO BACK UP YOUR CHOICES

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I would because I do not have career ambitions. I work to live, I do not live to work. All I want out of it is the money. If SHE has career ambitions, then I will help her. I would be perfectly happy spending time with my children and being a part of their life. I also did work to put my girlfriend of the time in school. Twice actually. I could afford to pay for everything and told her to quit her brainless job and go back to school because she was unhappy with her life. She did it twice. And then she left me... bitch !

• well, that's really sweet. I forget sometimes many people just work because it's something we have to do, not because they really want a career.

• I seek happiness in life. I once thought it was having a career that would make me happy, but life happened and I lost important people in my life. My priority changed... Happiness is not in my career anymore. Spending time with my children would be more like it. Working is now one of those annoying things you have to do to survive.

What Guys Said 15

• It's all about compromise and the particular situation.

• If my deferring to her education and/or career would give us a better life on some level, then I am inclined unless the cost to me is too high.

• Yes, if she loved me back
    if she was ill, sick, and needed someone there to take care of her, i would be there instead of some office...

• I think most would in the case of illness though. I was curious to see if any would be willing to put her career ahead of their own the way women do it all the time.

• ooo, smart ending line. ;)

• i have my moments lol :p

• I don't believe in love, but if I'm really really into that woman, and I already have the Green Card, I would probably put my career on hold. I'm not that into having an awesome career, I'd rather have a family, so if I see myself having kids with her, I'd do it.

• Yeah, I'm a foreigner, but I wanna become a US citizen and for that I first need a Green Card that allows me to stay in the US without a specific reason, but for now I need to have a purpose, which is studying, but once I'm done with college I have to work to stay. If I leave my job for her and don't find another one soon I get deported.

• Unless she makes more money than I do, then no. My work is not only a job, it is a lifestyle. It's very important and a big part of my life.

• Most likely not. But I guess it depends on the specifics on why I would need to do that and what exactly "on hold" means. I don't see many scenarios where a guy would have to do that.

• I never said he would 'have' to, merely, would he be willing to, in the exact same way women do it for men all the time.

• wow! you're pretty dumb. having kids is a MAJOR life changing event.

• Well, I appreciate your frankness, however you didn't take into account the last part of the paragraph that said "being together or not". There are support mechanisms around that allow parents to work and have kids like daycare, au pair services etc. So while I agree with you that having a child is a life changing event, it is not the type of thing that really requires me to put my career on hold. Believe it or not, you can make a point without calling people names. I suspect that you don't like my perspective and feel inclined to insult me, but it's really not necessary.

• Would I be willing to put my career on hold for the woman I'm in love with? Put it on hold why/for what? Why does she need me to put my career on hold? Once she can answer that question, then I can answer this one.

• because someone needs to stay home with the new baby. she makes much more than you and is much further in her career, so it would be more beneficial for the family. or any other reason.

• geez, it's a hypothetically question. the men on this site are too uncompromising. it's no wonder most are single or in shitty relationships.

• I never said I wouldn't. I said I would consider it.

• Whatever ypur partner says, she considers you her meal ticket. If you're not earning she won't stick around.

• I would not as a woman doesn't pay my bills, put a roof over my head and put food on my table.

• can't always hold a career.

• For how long exactly?

• I did put my career on hold for the girl i loved.
    result: she left me, and now i'm trying to figure what to do in my future as i didn't pass my entrance exams.

• Yes, my love life is more important than career.

• I don't know if I share that sentiment exactly, but if I were in love and a committed relationship already, then yea, it would be more important.

• because what's the point in a great career and no one great to go home to at the end of the day

• That's what I said, my love life is more important than any career, get it? ;)

• Possibly, depending on the circumstances, if it made sense for us as a couple. I make like... 4 times what my partner made when she was working, so not in our case.

• No I am not going to pay for her education... she should have handled that on her own as I have and paid off all my student loans myself, because I was hard working while many others were out partying on weekends. If she already went to school and learned that with a better degree she could have a better job, I of course would support her in that though. I just know I would not support someone who partied around and now wants to go to school on my money lol

Now would I move for her? Absolutely. Would I change because she wants to work more and I need to be home with the kids some- absolutely.

• I put the first option because many women actually do that for men. and a lot get screwed over in the long run.. it's funny how much more a woman is willing to sacrifice for her relationship than a man is.

• I think anyone who does that for either gender would get screwed over int he end... and I think by that age, 30ish and up, biology sets in for the father and wanting children and knowing her prime is gone- just a guess though.

• Yes... This means different things to different people.

If I work 60 + hours I won't be a good partner or father (when that happens) even if I make seven figures... I can work a healthy amount and still be good to my parter and make mid sixes wig balance

• yea, I couldn't be in a long term relationship with someone who spent more time at work than at home. I understand sometimes there's a special project or whatever that need more attention, but it couldn't be the norm.

• yea, I don't get why.

• Less feeling of power and control

What Girls Said 4

• My boyfriend made a point of telling me that school is his top priority. Sure, I found that annoying af initially, but I can't deny that he's got a point. I wouldn't want to be with someone who's 30+ and still working on his degree, y'know?

A relationship should never hinder your personal development, be looked at as more of an obligation than soothing that helps you grow.

• hmm, many doctors don't get their degrees until 30. most people aren't set at a good spot in their careers until after 30 as well.

a degree doesn't equal success, by the way.

• I did specify. taking paternity leave isn't putting your career on hold.

• I don't see this specification but whatever. My answer is the same, paternity leave or not.

• My boyfriend chose his career over me. Voted D.

• I don't think that's fair...

• really? Wow! where are you from? women put their careers on hold to stay home with the kids or simply to let their husbands focus of theirsore all the time. why is the idea of a man doing the same so awful?

• It's the idea of anyone - to me - that sounds awful...
      Croatia. We can hardly get jobs - no matter how many masters degrees we have - so letting a job go is unimaginable. o. O

• No. I personally would not want anyone to hold me back or be the reason someone else is not reaching there full potential.

• what would you do if you got pregnant?

• What do you mean exactly? If I got pregnant I would still peruse my dreams. Sure it would be tough but still possible.