Would you ever reject someone because you felt that person was too good for you?

Say someone was making advances at you and you could clearly tell that they're interested. Would you reject them even if you found them interesting if you felt like they were too good looking or something? Would insecurity stop you from chasing after a good thing?

• Yes because I'd always feel inferior. I desire balance.
  • Hell no! That's a great opportunity! Score!

Most Helpful Girl

• To be honest I would because I would be insecure about other attractive women around him and what his friends might say like,
    "You could do better, bro."
    Which is strange because I couldn't care if someone was "unattractive" and wanted to date me. I guess it's like a demon in the back of my head saying,
    "You can do better than me bro. Why even settle for a dumpling?"

This is purely on appearance though. If someone had a better personality I am all for that, because that is something I feel a constant need to become a better person and good people inspire me to do better things.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes actually, there's only one girl that I've ever felt like that about and she's one of my closest friends. I started imagining us being romantically involved after she started dropping hints that she was interested in something more and I realized that I would never want a relationship with her because I know she's so much better than me that if we ever did get into a relationship she would eventually leave me and I love her too much as a person and a friend to ever risk not having her in my life.

• Will you have regrets if you don't pursue it?

• @thewanderingme Maybe I'm not interested in her as more than a friend? She's not my type and I'm not going to risk losing a great friendship to half-heartedly pursue her when I already know her so well that I know we're too different of people to have a good lasting relationship. Her being "too good" for me is only one of the reasons I wouldn't date her, we just wouldn't make a good couple due to our differences. Plus I have other options and I'm currently seeing a girl who I'm having an absolute blast with.

• No, not at all. I'd have greater regrets if we dated and things got weird between us and I end up losing her as a friend. She's not going anywhere anytime soon, we'll be close friends for years to come since we're both in the same program. If I ever change my mind about her I'll just pursue her.

What Girls Said 27

• Nah. I don't believe in someone being 'too good' for the other, or being out of your league.

If they were really attractive, super popular or something, I might approach them being more guarded because for some reason I'd think that more is at stake to be lost with them than someone more nerdy. Which is a ridiculous idea if you think about it.. we all bleed the same.

So no, insecurity wouldn't stop me.

• I wouldn't say it's a 'great opportunity', that makes it sound like you're taking advantage of them without even liking them. I would date whoever I really liked and who liked me back. I don't see how having an attractive (or anything else that's good) partner is a bad thing that would make you NOT like them?

• I wasn't being serious in the poll options lol. Some people let insecurity run their lives unfortunately.

• I didn't like either of your answers so I didn't vote. I'm not insecure, but if a really really hot guy was hitting on me, I would feel like I would reject him.

Not due to feeling inferior/insecure. Just not my cup of tea. I don't want a really really hot guy. They're nice to look at---that's all.

• No, I wouldn't. I wouldn't think someone was too good for me either. I would simply feel happy beyond belief that someone so great was a love interest.

Wow, so almost half the ladies feel like guys are better than them thus they would reject them. C'mon ladies.

• Yeah it seems like insecurity runs stronger in the ladies in this question unfortunately.

• I would take advantage of the opportunity and say yes. THEY don't think they r too good for me, so it would b beneficial to my ego... Haha

• Hell no! I'd feel so lucky and happy. I'd do whatever it takes to keep him, instead of wallowing in self-pity.

• You really can't stay away can you? ;)
      Thanks for chiming in, buddy.

• Hey, not my fault gag is like obsessed with promoting your questions to me specifically hahaha

• Yep gag is out to get you lol

• Yeah, I would never be with someone who loves me more than I would ever do...

If someone loves more in a relationship, all gets fucked up.

I don't wanna break people's hearts.

When it comes to looks I'm not insecure lol
    In love I'm probably the most insecure person.

• I'll be brutally honest.

Yes, because I don't want to constantly strive and be pressured to strive to reach his level. Let me slum!

• I probably would subconsciously. I have father issues and therefore I always go for guys that don't deserve me and treat me terribly. It's not a good habit and I can't seem to break it.

• I'm sorry to hear that. You seem really sweet and you're definitely worth it.

• Uh, yes please, Chris Pratt (literally the one dude in the world who makes me feel inadequate due to his overall beauty).

• NO! hahah I just hit jackpot!

• No because I don`t have an inferiority complex.

• That's a really good thing.

• I'm not saying I'm amazing, but if I like someone I'm not going to pass them up simply because I try to apply monetary value to human beings.

• I know what you mean. People are too complex to label with values so readily.

• um lol no.
    if i actually thought that the guy is too good for me, i'll slap myself cause no human is 'too good' for another. we're all humans hahaha.

• I've pushed people away

• Generally I only reject someone because i can't picture myself being with them long term. I feel like I would be wasting mine and their time.

• According to my friends, this is the main reason I've tended to be rejected (intimidation). So I suppose it exists, assuming they're correct.

• No... I've never felt that way...

• I never thought some guy was too good for me. So no.

• Since I know my worth, I don't think so. I think that if you know your worth, you'll go for what you deserve... ;)

• I'd question if they are being sweet for a one time thing, first. If not, then why not give it a try?

• Reject? No. But I would laugh and say "okay, man, you asked for it!"

• Like you mean if he was shit hot and I'm average? Yep I'd be suspicious. And probably find lots of things wrong with him. Sorry hotties xD

• lol why is that?

• You want me to start naming random people in my life? haha

• Lol that was a joke?
      Anyway nah I don't think there are guys like that. Unless they don't have a big circle of friends to impress maybe

• If I thought he was too good for me I would be scared shitless to take things anywhere with him.

• No that's a stupid mentality.

• no, never have i felt that way.
    my shyness has made me ignore a person's advances. many times.

• No I won't reject. it is a great opportunity

• No, I wouldn't. If I like a guy there's no reason to reject him.

What Guys Said 20

• No, never! And anyone who gives this reason for rejecting someone, is just trying to mask the 'actua;l' reason, whatever itm might be.

• That's a good question actually.

• No I'll at least go on a few dates before they dump me. Rather that happen because then I don't have to worry about the dreaded "what if?"

• I'm the furthest thing from being an egotistical person, but I don't believe anyone's too good for me.

• I've never done that... but for some reason that is an alarmingly common trend with girls and women.

It's something I don't understand... but then again I never suffered through having low self esteem.

• That's good bro. Having low self esteem can be a crippling thing.

• Yes once but i regret it because can have any girl i want be i'm great and no one matches up 2 me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKYvdUCTSa4

• No. That's just your insecurity talking.
    If they thought you weren't good enough, they wouldn't give you the time of day, much less want to give you a chance.

• Oh this question isn't about me specifically lol
      That's a good way to look at it though.

• No that's not a reason to reject anyone. I mean, if I thought she was too good for me I may be apprehensive to approach her, that is definitely not the same thing as rejection

• No more so than I would send an excellent steak back because it was too delicious.

• Yeah I ended a relationship cause of insecurity back in highschool.. worst decision of my life.

• I'm sorry to hear that bro. Fortunately there will be more decisions in the future and more women to meet. You'll have another opportunity to make the right choice :)

• Yes to be honest. I think I already did that.

• I have rejected someone because I thought they were to good for me and I don't regret it cuz she was not what I thought so, but that doesn't mean I will let it happen again

• Do I look like nuts to you? I wouldn't punish myself for my own low self esteem.

• I already have done, but not because I felt inferior-- more so because I was 13-14 and didn't think I could take a relationship seriously at that age.

Would I do so now? Nah, no reason too if we both have a mutual liking for each other.

• That makes sense. Relationships aren't bound to go anywhere at 13-14 years old lol

• I would not reject someone for that

• She was the perfect girl, but I was on my lowest time, sometimes I think about her

• I'm sorry to hear that man. There will be other girls though. It will be at a higher time in your life too!

• no, only pussies have inferiority complexes...

• No way that's crazy

• If a 9/10 wants to be with this 6/10 and we are mutually attracted both physically and mentally,, why would I reject her?

• Use and throw...