What does 'dating' or 'going out' mean to you?

Everyone my age that I know of uses the words "dating" or "going out with" when they talk about their boyfriend or girlfriend. And I notice older people will say "dating" or "going out with" when theyre talking about a stranger that they went to dinner and a movie with, someone who is not their s/o.

so what does it mean to you?

• 'Dating' is the "getting to know a stranger" phase of a relationship
  • "Dating" means they are your boyfriend/girlfriend
  • Other?
Damn wtf why is everyone saying it means you're fucking or it means you're a slut? Wtf
Does it mean you're getting to know them or does it mean they are your significant other. Simple question

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd say dating starts when you go out on a first date and continues past the point of being bf/gf. Going out with basically means you are bf/gf.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've always heard the first stage of a relationship called "seeing each other", where, like, you go on dates, and you might make out or something, but your not exclusive or anything. You can be seeing more than one person at any point in time.

"Dating" is when you are more serious, like, you are boyfriend and girlfriend, and you are exclusive with that person. Dating also tends to imply that sex has entered the equation, but that is not always the case.

What Guys Said 6

• Well, dating is generally known to mean two people setting up appointments to get to know each other better with the possibility of a romantic relationship developing.

But a "date" might not have to necessarily have the intention of being romantic.

• So if you had a girlfriend and we're talking to people about it you wouldn't say "I'm dating this girl ____" or "I'm going out with someone, I'm not single" "I'm not single, I'm dating someone"

• If I had a girlfriend I don't know what I'd say. I'd probably just say "she's my girlfriend" or "I have a girlfriend" or whatever. I might say "going out with".

Or "going steady with" lol.

• Dating is the getting to know each other phase.

Going out with can mean either but I usually take it to mean more serious than dating.

• Dating = getting to know
    going out = y'all official

• Means don't be a hoe !

• means being ready to settle down

• Going balls deep.

What Girls Said 2

• For me it means getting to know someone

• in our day and age basically fucking.