Should I keep dating my girlfriend?

25 year old man here. So I've been dating this bubbly blonde for a few weeks. Everything has gone well... until now. My girlfriend confessed to me that she's 17! This girl has the body of a 22 year old but I have not slept with her. I looked at her and said "I could go to jail for dating you!" She said "I'll be 18 tommorow and I'm sorry I lied to you." I haven't dumped her because I'm supposed to go trick or treating with her and her nieces. But I am pissed she lied. Should I keep dating her?

Most Helpful Girl

• well it was messed up that she lied, but its understandable. i'm basically the same age as her i turned 18 this summer, and i dont lie about my age but seeing that you are like, what? 10 years older? then her, its not surprising that she lied. i remember when me and my friend were like 14 and liked guys who were like 19, we didn't want to say our real ages because we thought they'd think we're too young you know so we said we were 16 and they believed it too. it just means she really likes you and didn't want the age difference to be a deal breaker for you so she waited til she was 18 to be honest with you and noww start a real serious relationship

• The age difference is 8 years. I'll stay with her but I told to never lie to me again.

• yeah she didn't mean any harm you know, just didn't want to lose you so yeah good idea just make sure she doesn't lie about anything else

• @jjmarvin im pretty sure she didn't think about all the consequences, and just like the asker mentioned, they didn't do anything. she thought it through thatt far.

Most Helpful Guy

• Lying is wrong. I'm sorry to say but at your ages you too are probably at different points emotionally. I would let her go, but please be kind. She only lied because she likes you. Heart break is the worst just explain to her that what you have isn't healthy. If she needs support be there. Do you really like her. If you do you will make sure she makes it out of this okay

• I really do like her.

• Okay. This will sound weird but bear with me. Maybe I'm wrong but at 25 you have moved past a lot of points in your life that she hasn't. She trusts you hope and you care about her. Be there for her, just not romantically. Maybe one day but not now

What Girls Said 8

• I would not be okay with that. Honesty is essential.
    I'm 24 and I don't myself having any business with an 18 year old. I was such a different person and in such a different stage of life at 18, and knowing and mentoring so many 18/19 year olds, I feel like they're all still children in many ways. That's not a bad thing, it's not that none of them are mature, it's just that they're so new to adulthood.

• she was probably afriad to lose you and ouch thats a bad one, but she couldnt change her age and I know how she feels lots of sevteeen year olds... ehem aka me a couple months ago couldnt even make guy friends cause theyre afraid of the age gap and what if i end up liking her and whatever.. and bam get them in trouble. anywho she can't change what her age is and it wasn't ok id take a step back, but if she loses you from an action she thought was probably the only way youd stick around thatd really suck.. so good luck think about it im sorry it happened to you.

• How do you know she's not lying about tomorrow being her birthday?
    It's your call if you're willing to stay in a relationship with someone like that, especially knowing she's a minor and she can royally screw you over if things don't go in her favour.

• I just called her and told her to bring her ID. If she's lying I'm kicking her to the curb.

• glad to hear she was partially telling the truth!

• I warned her to never lie to me again. I detest that.

• 18 is legal pretty much in every country. I see your point but I can kind of understand hers too. Everyone makes mistakes and she told you the truth out of guilt which is good in the sense she feels remorse. Trust me it hurts more when someone you care about lies or hurts you and feel no guilt or remorse then someone who lies and feels guilty after. Don't let the age difference get in the way either because age really is just a number I was with my ex for 7 years. The age difference had nothing to do with our break up.

• you should wait until she older! She still think like a young 17yr old girl!

• It's 12 am here. She's officially 18 now.

• still a girl has a lot to learn before she is a true women!

• It's kind of awkward that she lied but, she figured you wouldn't date her if you knew. Maybe she didn't intend on starting to date you until she turned 18. At least she told you now and not like months later... And at least she's not actually 16, because now she's 18 and everything is legal. I'm not saying lying is okay, but you just have to go with your gut on this one. Do you trust her enough to not lie to you again sometime down the road? Good luck <3

• Why would you want to date someone so much younger then you? You both would have completely different morals. it's bad that she lied about her age but it is something that can be worked through. I know this from experience.

• I would dump her. If she kept this from you then why would she be telling the truth about her birthday?

What Guys Said 11

• Dude, break up. She put your life at risk, you can't be with someone like that, you could have gone to jail and she didn't even care.
    Break up before she does something worse.

• That happened to me, but the age gap wasn't so great. The day that I met my girlfriend, I asked her how old she was. She said 16. I called the next day and she said it was her birthday (it was actually), so I assumed she turned 17 which, to me, was acceptable. Some time later, she told me that she really had just turned 16.

As for you, you've got a big age gap and, depending on where you live, you have to be careful about "the age of consent" and statutory rape. Here's a good example where, if you are in Texas, you are OK because the age of consent is 17.
    www.avvo.com/.../...-old-male-and-sex-w-10227.html

This should help:
    globaljusticeinitiative.files.wordpress.com/.../united-states-age-of-consent-table11.pdf

• Dude this happened to me once back when I was 21. She AND her sister said she was 18 when she was actually 16. We never did anything sexual but the fact that she lied made me back the hell away from her and the fact that she was 16. The most we ever did was kiss. Unfortunately I worked with them both and ended up leaving the job soon after. It was just a wicked awkward situation.

That shit made me wicked paranoid about age and now I make sure.

• Check an ID, see if she is actually turning 18 tomorrow. If she is maybe she lied because she wanted you, maybe she lied because she is just a pathological liar (thats for you to find out). If she is not turning 18 then ditch her.

• I'm asking for her ID tonight. If she's lying, she'll get the boot.

• For one, a lot of states have 17 or 16 as age of consent.

For two, you're 25 and dating a blonde 17 year old... I really don't see the problem.

• Then you are a fool then. Did you miss the part where he said she lied to him about her age? What else could she be lying to him about? But I guess as long as she's a blonde teen that somehow makes things ok?

• You deserve to get treated like shit if you think that way

• You have aright to be pissed, but honestly is it a dealbreaker?

• Not a deal breaker. I'm mad but not that mad.

• Yeah, you definitely need to see some ID before things get, you know, serious.

• Her birthday party is today. I am happy she told the truth about that.

• Just dump her. Save yourself the trouble of a statutory rape charge and imprisonment.
    Besides, if she's lying about her age, imagine what else she is likely lying about...

• I would be pissed too and shocked, especially if it's a girl you have grown a good relationship with. I don't know, but you could tell her your annoyed with her and that she shouldn't have lied, if she proves she's sorry then keep her

• dude thats messed up i would break of bcuzz of the lie like damn you really wanna walk in them shoes of Tyga he be babysitting Kylie all the mf time

• No. Lairs suck. What else will she lie about next?

• Dude, breakup. She's jail bait.