Would you ever disrespect your parents?

Like what if they were disrespectful to you for no reason? What if you don't live with them anymore? What if you're practically grown? What if they put you down for no apparent reason? What if "you" did something to make them treat you that way? What if they Verbally/Physically abused you, would you take it?

• Yes
  • No
  • NEVER
  • Other: Depends on the situation
If you cussed them out just because you didn't get your way or call your own parents out of their name. You hit them because they tell you no or you beat them up and run away because you don't agree with what they say. Something along those lines.

Most Helpful Guy

• I should say no, because I love my parents. But if a heated argument comes up than yeah I'll disagree. Will I regret it? Maybe a few hours later.

What Guys Said 6

• The right answer is no, but the true answer is yes.

Ideally, I would not disrespect my parents under any circumstances, simply out of principle, especially because my parents are totally badass and I really appreciate everything they've done for me out of love.

Truth is, I'm not perfect, and in a heated moment its not at all impossible for me to be disrespectful to anyone, even if my rational self would rather show grace (anyone who has seen me argue on GaG can probably attest to this.)

All those hypotheticals are a little too much for me thouth. Might as well say "would you bite someone if you had rabies?"

• considering i support them financially i do have to put my foot down from time to time.

• never, but that is more due to the fact they would smack me if I did

• I would never

• Not since I was a teenager.

• If they say that you did something to make them act that way then it's just plain abuse. My mom has been abusive to me my whole life but she doesn't recognize blaming another person for her self control as abuse. Don't let it go on forever. It just gets worse over time if you let them. Try to get them to see a therapist or see one yourself to learn some techniques for dealing with abusers. Therapists can also teach you to defend yourself from the abuse of another person. How to have the confidence to remove yourself from the interaction or point out how you feel wronged.

What Girls Said 8

• Ehh, I mean, I guess it depends on what you count as disrespecting. My parents might argue that I disrespect them quite a lot sometimes, but their idea of disrespect is what I consider to be standing up for myself. I wouldn't say that arguing back when I feel I'm being treated unfairly is being disrespectful, but I know that they would, so I guess it would depend on the perspective you look at it from. I know that I wouldn't purposefully disrespect them for no reason.

• Absolutely not. As a young teenager of course I did, but I see it as a very childish thing that everyone needs to learn not to do. It reflects badly on your personality. I know when I see people being rude to their parents that judgement will stay in my head more than anything else. There's a difference between taking it and standing up for yourself and being disrespectful. People need to learn how to stand up for themselves in a mature and reasonable manner in my mind.

• What's disrespecting to you?

• that would be a death wish :P

• Of course not, they're too good for that

• Hell to the NO. Try growing up with black parents. That's a major Nono

• I disrespected my dad by ignoring him for a full week, once, but in my defense he'd called me a whore for failing one of my classes, and told me I'd have to marry rich if I wanted to get anywhere in life. I don't care that he's my dad, he deserved it for that one. Normally he's great, and I'll respect any punishment he gives me, and if he's mad then I -know- I've done something wrong and I accept that. That incident was just excessive, though.

And honestly I don't have much respect for my mom. She gets mad and yells about really stupid things, picks at her children over really stupid things, does terrible things and never apologizes for them, and so... yeah. Once she starts acting like an asshole, I stop showing respect, because she lost mine a long time ago.

• Nooe, sometimes I end up sucking my teeth or raise my voice a little but not at them.

I won't disrespect my mom but sometimes it ends up happening. Not in the extreme just the body language.