Is 29 too old for a guy to have kids?

The reason why I ask this is because I switched majors because I was originally going for a computer science major but decided I didn't like the idea of becoming a software engineer. So I switched to Physical Therapy and I still have 1 more year after this one before I can apply for PT school. I'm currently 23 years old soon to be 24 in January and I'll be 25 by next spring (2017). Which means I'll be 28 or 29 by 2020.

I'm asking this because you don't hear too much about male fertility like you do females and I was wondering if I were say 30 years old if that would cause problems in the future as far as having kids.

Look forward to hearing from you all soon

Also to make clear I don't necessarily mean being infertile but more so just raising kids at that age and what age would be a time to stop having them?

Most Helpful Girl

• Entirely depends upon you. 29 is probably on the younger side, these days. Most couples wait until they're in their early-mid thirties before having children.

As for the fertility thing, men are more or less fertile until the day they die. It does slow down considerably as they age, but you can theoretically father children until your 70s. Whether said children will be very healthy is another issue entirely.

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't hear about it because we keep our fertility almost into our 50s on average. Why are you picking 29 if you're 23? You just kind of skipped to 2020 for no reason. You could do it before then if you wanted. You could do it in 2030 if you wanted with ease.

What Girls Said 12

• The quality and 'potency' of your sperm will start declining a little as you enter your mid 40's. A woman's eggs do the same at around age 38+. You've got plenty of time. Men in their 50's and 60's are still capable of reproducing, but it's not necessarily a good thing. No kid wants to be turning 16 and have a Dad who can't play basketball with him or teach him to drive because he is in his 70's and has failing health, you know?

• Nope. I'm 28, and that isn't too old to have kids (though I used to think it was). In fact, I feel I'm in a better position to have them now because I know more of what I want out of life and am more stable, both financially and emotionally.

That whole 2020 thing freaked me out a little bit, I'm not going to lie. It looks so far off in the future, but we're almost to 2016, so clearly it isn't.

• no its not!

• It's not too old as long as u are in good health :)

• I don't think it works the same for guys as it does for girls. Old men can still have healthy babies

• It shouldn't be a problem as long as you're in good health. My dad was in his 50's when I was born.

• My mum and dad were 29 when they had me. I turned out fine. :)
    Men don't have quite the biological clock ticking when it comes to making babies :P

• I'm my father's first child and I was born when he was 35... So I would say not at all.

• No actually 29 seems like a good time to have kids. Ur not too old but ur mature enough to handle it. I think u should go for it

• my parents or 35 and 36 with a two year old. your never to old to have a child

• Noo.

35 is.

33 is okay too.
    29 is great.

• Lol my Dad was 48 when I was born, and when my youngest sister was born my stepdad was 50. I think you're alright :')

What Guys Said 12

• Fortunate for us guys, our sperm barely changes over the course of time. Yep, we just keep chuggin' away, creating millions of sperm a day. The quality can sometimes be questionable but, ehh, we just keep producing.

The testicles really are the China of the human body...

• I hope not I don't want kids til I'm 32-35(max). Til I get my life out of my system and find a woman who won't stray or be wayward (including me). I want to be financially stable. Plus people are living into their 60-70s. So I'll be a 50 somethings year old with 20 year old kids it's not bad.. I hope

• 30 is very smart, that is when you should start thinking about kids to begin with, no need to worry.

• The short answer is no, and the long answer is really long so get comfortable. I do not think that 29 or 30 is too old to have kids, because if you do at 30, then you will be 48 by the time that child turns 18, the age of majority, and you will still be middle-aged. My dad was 40 when I was born, so no it is not too old.

• LOLOL

given you have all your life made (career, travels, money saving and lots of soul searching) late 20s to early 30s are ideal

in this age, if you ahve a child before 25 or even worse become a single mother, youve done yourself a great disservice

• Hell no bro.

• yeah cause everyone over 30 is infertile... c'mon man! you can't be serious

• I hope it isn't since I'm 36 and still want biological kids.

• Lord no ! Trust me, 29 isn't too old for kids.

• LOL too old. dkm

• My father had me when he was 40+

• no it not at all do not be silly. This is a silly question.