Asking for the number and being told "I don't want to waste your time", did I mess up?

I feel awful that I may have screwed the future relationship between her (20) and I (21) even if its just friends.

She has always caught my eye in biology class, and me being a very shy person, was overwhelmed when she began to actually communicate with me and act very genuine around me. I can tell she is hard working and has a busy life and has issues with some of the classes she's talked with me about. Yet I don't ever recall hearing her sound false which is why I started to take an interest in hoping to get to know her more.

So today we finished up class and we are walking out in our little group as we usually do (4 of us). Unfortunately she parked at the side lot instead of the main lot like we all do, so she veered off to go separate ways, chance gone! But then I decided to run back while she was almost there, I felt awkward and really nervous. I asked her if I would be able to have her number because I only ever see her in class and I would like to see her outside of class. I hope she didn't think I was asking for a sexual relationship or something? I merely wanted to have her number so I could ask her out to coffee at a nice café in town... She said "I feel bad because I don't want to waste your time". And also I could sense some hesitation. I replied " I don't mean to push anything, but it would be great to at least have a friend".

I'm hoping I didn't mess it up, I've only been in one long relationship. So whenever I muster the courage to ask a girl out I choke and get red and my speech does who knows what.

Thank you for reading this, I know it was a tad bit long but I felt it was better to understand the overall feelings.

-M

Also, I sent her a text with my name so she would have it as well. She stated maybe she will ask me for help with psychology since I told her I had it last year. I am almost thinking I should text her after some time has passed

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 1

• You were just asking for a number as a friend. You go ahead and act like it's no big deal. It will only be awkward as long as you keep it that way. Talk to her like nothing happened and she'll eventually get it.

• That's what I was thinking but I really don't understand what her response entitles. I want to take her out and have the opportunity to get to know her instead of being "friend-zoned" as some say. Thanks for the advice!

• Honestly, she's already put you in the bucket of being platonic friends. You're going to have to be ok with that. If you push her for more it's gonna be awkward.