Should your boyfriend pay your bills?

I've always been independent. My mom is like that and I was just raised like that. But sometimes when I look at other women who have there man pay for everything and not work it's like damn is that the life these days? Not working or busting my ass everyday. I kinda wish that was me. Then Again these women may not be as happy. I don't know.
But shouldn't a man be more of a provider then the women? And if that's the case shouldn't a women still work and get her money for her self instead of staying home with the kids and being a house made? I wouldn't want to ask my guy to pay bills. I guess it's different when your dating and married right? Is it a turn off when your girlfriend ask for money for bills? That might put marriage out of the picture cud they think u can't handle yours. Men women what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• No they should not

What Guys Said 20

• What am I, a charity? Do I have a red cross tatted on my chest? It's YOUR bills, you pay for them, I'm not paying them, I have my own bills to pay. Unless we're married or living together, MY money is mine, your money is yours.
    "shouldn't a woman work and get her money for herself instead of being with the kids and being a housemaid?" Are you serious? So I pay for your stuff while you're earning money, and don't even take care of the house? Are you a Queen or something?
    Oh my god, I absolutely HATE women that think that way, aka, gold diggers. Women that believe because they have a boyfriend he has to pay for her stuff. No, f*ck off, you pay your bills, I pay mine. Unless she's struggling with money and really needs it, if she brings up that topic, she's out of my life, I'm not gonna marry a woman who sees me as slave that brings money to her while she does nothing and wastes the money on shit.

Fuck that.

• No, I don't believe that people should pay other people's bills or debts especially in a relationship. I know this is a trend that many guys do. However, men shouldn't do it nor should women. This is why it is important to keep separate accounts. If you are with someone who is financially irresponsible, that is your fault, and that is a very bad investment. Marriage is a business merger. I can understand if the women or man wants to be a house wife or husband, and the other partner becomes the bread winner. In this scenario, it would make sense that other person pays for the household bills. If both parties in the relationship are working, they should separate the accounts and split all common bills.

• I have no respect for freeloaders.

• As much as I care about the girls I date, I would never pay for their bills unless they really needed it for circumstances outside of their control or something, and even then it is a loan...

I highly value self sufficiency in a partner, so I would see it as a huge turn off if she were not able to provide for herself,/ was too lazy and wanted me to- likely leading to a break up, and while money was the factor unfortunately, it is really because of her attitude.

• Hell no. End of story.

• Before you start worrying about who pays for what you really should have a ring on it. That's just my opinion. It doesn't matter who makes the most. You're 18 you work together and you find your way around things. I want a woman is my partner not my dependent.

• Girls were meant to do home duties and guys do the outdoor one. Women can cook, clean, raise, take care of children rather than work 7/24, as if she missed theses duties what is the father responsibilities? even though, as a girlfriend or boyfriend work, they should be independent from each other and no one takes advantage from other.

• Lol don't we all wish someone would do that? That's your inner asshole saying "hey, slide by, be a deadbeat, and take people for granted"

It's best we don't listen to that guy ;)

• We are not walking wallets. I don't know why women have it in their heads that they're entitled to our money, they aren't.

• Did I just read that right... 'Should your boyfriend pay your bills'?

No way he should pay his girlfriend's bills. It's a relationship, not a Charity. If they can't pay them or get into shit then that's their problem, not his!

And, if a guy is stupid enough to pay his girlfriend's bills then he needs his head read.

• Depends on the guy tbh
    If I'm with any girl I mean if she's my friend or girlfriend I love paying bills I don't know why but I never let any girl pay when I'm with her though I'm not rich or something it's just I find that...

• He should only pay for her bills if she wants to be his daughter

• Should your boyfriend pay YOUR bills? Um... no. You should be paying your own bills.

• If you two have such an agreement, then yes. But usually no. You are not married, so you are not technically together even though you are boyfriend and girlfriend. Boyfriend/girlfriend stage is like rehearsal for marriage as far as the relationship goes.

• It should be a mutual thing.. It's called a healthy relationship

• Stop buying shit if you can't handle the responsibilities.

• He's not your dad so no he shouldn't pay your bills. Women and men are supposed to be equal but most women don't want that.

• If she's not independent and self-reliant, I'm out.

• So mens money is for paying a womans bills and a womans money is for herself?

Yeah that doesn't sound colossally selfish...

• Shut the fuck up and pay your own bills you freeloader.

• In those kinds of relationships, she's not being a freeloader. You're paying for the intimacy and the sex.

• Unless there is a ring on her finger I am not giving her any of my money. Ever. If we are married she has access to all of it, but before that she doesn't get any of it.

What Girls Said 7

• No. Want equality? Pay for your own life.

You have to take care of yourself. Your gender does not free you of independence and responsibility and men of the newer generation are less likely to be good with the idea of a girl doing nothing all day while she lives off of his check.

I get if you stay home with the kids and all but I still advocate all women have SOME source of income.

• No I believe if you live in a place together someone should get the rent and someone should get the groceries or pay for utilities or some other similar arrangement. I don't think that men have any obligation to pay for the life of another person any more than women. If she is a stay at home mother and he's the only one working then it changes things obviously since she has no income for herself, but I would still contribute what I could whether that be in all house and child duties or help with the rent.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I cringe at the thought...

• No one should pay someone else's bills. The only exception is if you live together and decide to split house hold bills and one of you is somewhat strapped for cash due to some changes made, or if there's a wage difference because you lost your old well paying job and had to find a temporary one that didn't pay as much because you didn't want to be too needy/helpless.

• My boyfriend does sometimes, because he genuinely wants to and not because I can't. Honestly I like it because I am in school and I have more "play" money I suppose and I'm not as stressed. But I know not everyman will do this, and I'm just really grateful. I think Men should WANT to take care of their women even if they can't, and that women should also want to take care of her man, I do think that both sexes should work and earn money, spend it how they want.

• Depends upon your mutual understanding.

• I got your upvote. Hard opinions based on a solid foundation need an upvote.
      Personally, I despise the "traditional" arrangement (that was only "traditional" from about 1920 to 1950), but even more than I hate that arrangement, I love people's freedom to incorporate as they see fit.

• NO!! I let that happen for way to long and it's been fucked up once, twice and beyond... no thank you!!