Can guys only over the age of 25 answer this please?

I'm currently 28 years old, and already have a degree in biomedical science. Recently, I've decided to go back to university to get a degree in medicine as I would love to work as a doctor. I realise that 28 is kind of late to go back to university, and I'm wondering how off-putting this is for guys. Would you be interested in pursuing a relationship with someone like this, or would you prefer to be with someone thats working like yourself. Is dating a student a deal breaker for you? Bit of an odd question, but it's just something I've been thinking about lately!

Thank you so much for all your responses everyone! x

Most Helpful Guy

• I could ask the same. Same age, got a bachelor's in Computer Science and worked five years in the field, now I'm going back to pursue Mechanical Engineering. Ironically, my girlfriend is a medical student one year away from residency, but she doesn't hold my pursuit against me.

In your situation, you'll have to bear in mind the time for residency after graduation. Depending on your chosen specialization, that can take up to eight years after graduation. In your last year before graduating, they'll have you working rotations in the ER and other departments, often working shifts well in excess of twelve hours. You'll have little say over where you get matched, what part of the country you'll live and work in. Residents put in long hours and are not particularly well-paid. I'm certain you're well aware of all of this, I've been learning the process since getting involved with my girlfriend.

You'd have to find someone very loyal, very committed to stick with you through all of that, but it certainly can be done.

• I'll put it this way... if you want to have biological children, I'd advise against it at your age, but if not, if this is the career you want, absolutely go for it. Just thinking in terms of the timeframe before things will start to settle down for you.

• She and I have talked about kids, we'd want no more than two. Way things are shaping up, I'd move with her wherever she gets matched for residency and transfer to a school out there to continue my degree. Build a future around that.

• Amazing! She's lucky to be with someone so supportive.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lele Pon's mom finished medical school recently.
    My mom was in medical school and doing internships when she had me and my two sisters (babies take a lot of time) so I'm sure it's possible relationship wise.
    (she got married before med. school btw)

What Guys Said 43

• YOU ARE AMAZING, just for doing that!! 28 IS NOT OLD, in ANY WAY!! If you were my Girlfriend, I would totally support you, and help you in any way, financially, educationally, anything!!
    I wish more people thought like you!!
    I have a degree in Biology, and a minor in Chemistry, and I would love having you as a girlfriend, helping in ANY way I could!!
    Any chance you are in Minnesota? :)

• Haha I live in the UK :) Thank you so much for writing this x

• Londoner born and raised

• I love English women!! Dr. Who fan?

• I know a lot of women that have gone back to school later to do post-grad work. Multiple people that have gone back to get a PhD in their 30s, actually.

People who aren't into educated women may find it more intimidating, but the type of guys that would stimulate you intellectually are most likely not going to have a problem with it. And at the end of the day, it's far more important that you are happy about it than any random guy anyway.

Plus, school is an awesome way to meet people, so if you are asking because you are currently single and worrying about long term dating prospects, going back to school is actually one of the better ways to meet people with similar goals and attitudes. Think about it... you're going to be spending all your time in the exact place that hot young doctors are built. That seems like one of the wisest decisions a person could make...

• I would be fine with it. I'd find your ambition attractive and hey who doesn't want to be with a doctor

• God yes. I find driven women who possess the desire to pursue their passion absolutely amazing. When it got serious and was appropriate time for moving in and such, I wouldn't expect her to help pay for anything either. In fact, I'd prefer that she didn't work while doing school so we could spend more time together. But, that's just me. I'm pretty financially secure but I know others have different situations.

• Personally , I will not be dating again , however if I was , you would earn my respect for bettering yourself further !! There are enough shallow , vapid women around as it is , contrary to popular belief a lot of men , myself included , are NOT intimidated by an educated , go-getter woman , it's an attractive quality & I like intelligent company !! I hope you do well , my own mum went into nursing in her 30's , a big drop in pay , but she overtook her younger peers & was in charge of an A&E dept ( senior sister ) when the doc's / consultants were not present.

• Does it matter? Obviously there will be some who would and some who wouldn't. But who gives a shit. It's your life if you want to pursue medicine then do it. It's not like you're making the choice of pursing medicine and being single forever or not pursing medicine and finding a boyfriend...

• No, it's admirable to want to become a doctor. You should do it.

• Medical school is a lot of work, and doesn't leave a lot of time for a social life. So you probably don't really need to worry about it. The time commitment is probably the biggest off-putting factor, but you also have to figure that you will probably not be interested in men without similar education levels, and some men might be intimidated by you.

If you go to medical school + residency, you will be taking at least 6 years before you are ready to settle down. If you want kids, you may want to think about it, because 34 is about when fertility starts to decline.

• re you kidding. First, its a choice you should make based on your own ambitions, not what some dipshit guy is going to think about it. Second, if you are going to educated to the standard you are discussing, would you want to date or live w/ a guy who though that way? The only thing sexier than what's between a girl's legs is what's between her ears.

• That is not a deal breaker. That's fine, nothing to worry about. The only associated thing to note with that is the fact that you will have very little discretionary time in med. school for dating, but you can make it happen.

• I wouldn't be put off at all by it. It shows you've figured things out a bit and know where you want to go. You're ambitious and thats good.

What is more offputting for a guy is why you care? You shouldn't give a damn about whether a guy will think its offputting or whatever. Do what you want to do. Learn to love yourself. If a guy doesn't like it think that its his problem and not yours.

Good look with the medicine degree! Its a long road!

• Not at all. If I dated a girl that wanted something similar as you I would support in achieving that goal.

• Uh seeing how your already smart and wanting to further education to eventually get a career making hundreds of thousands a year I wouldn't care we would struggle while you finish school but the financial struggles in the beginning would nowhere compare to the financial gains for us in the end

• its not a deal breaker at all. its exactly the contrary. knowing that you are a person with goals and ambitious would get you better partners in the long term and keep the lazy ass downgrading guys away from you.

• Not a deal breaker for me. If you are going back to school that means you are trying to do more and you are working towards something. So it wouldn't bother me at all.

• It's never too late to go back to university!

• a womens occupation has zero influence on me unless she works in the sex industry

• I think it's attractive. It demonstrates real grit, which is something I appreciate in women more than this bullshit weakness/ignorance women usually tend to cultivate in the name of attracting men. Idiots.

• That's hott to me

• i know you said 25 and over. but if you seek to change or improve your life then guys should respect that and not treat you any different. any guy should date you and support you through this

• There is absolutely no problem with this. It shows you have goals and are willing to do whatever it takes to achieve them. Odds are you will meet a guy at the university anyway.

• go for it girl, I've seen women in their late thirties and forties studying at the uni.

• I'd be fine with it.

• No, it's not a deal breaker.

• " If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not people or things."
    -Albert Eintein.

Just fallow your what you heart desires. In time you will see what it leads you to. Best of luck.

• Why would someone trying to better themselves ever be viewed as 'unattractive'?

• I know you asked for 25+ guys, not sure why, cause i would date a girl who is studying (like you described in the post), even if i was 28 years old, if i like her, i like her, i don't care what she does, well you know studying or working.. :)

• Dating? Not a deal breaker.

• I would be supportive as usual as long as there was time for "us" along the way

• No problem at all. Always inspiring to see people moving ahead.
    Yes, I would not have a problem being with a student, and you should not worry, many confident men like a smart and independent woman.

Good Luck!

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 1

• I'm in the same situation but I'm 25. Guys either don't care at all, or think it's good that you're smart and have ambition. It's something else to talk about that makes you interesting when you meet someone too
    I'd think it was attractive if it was a guy in the same scenario
    Good for you for finding something you want to do :)