Do you agree with this dating double standard?

Some guys expect fit and gorgeous GFs when they themselves are out of shape and sometimes lazy?

Again, some! No generalizations.

• Strongly agree
  • Agree
  • Disagree
  • Strongly disagree
A comment on my last MyTake made me think about this

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I agree with you on this one, I mean if I'm going to go to the gym every week and put in hundreds of hours of training to look good and be healthy. It's only fair I would want someone that mirrors that I mean they don't have to be gorgeous I'd settle for decent looks, but I would at least want them to be fit and healthy.

And the same can be said about women who would be in my position stated above.

• Man we do agree on some things!! We can put politics past us, dating and Star Wars are so much more important anyways 😂😂

• Well said Phoenix

• @BelleGirl21 thank you.

What Girls Said 15

• I don't really care. People like what they like. Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they *have* to only be attracted to and date people who are also overweight. They should just probably realize that other people may not be attracted to them because of their weight. So, if they want a super fit and healthy partner, they may need to become fit themselves, unless they can find someone who is attracted to them the way they are.

• Yes totally with you

• Once again, I wouldn't have bothered to post had I read this. There seems to be much confusion between "expect" and "desire."

• I put strongly agree because a lot of guys on here comment about in shape and healthy women bla bla they want a skinny waist and a perky ass but then I look at their pic. Some might not be fat or hideous but they are very average and look like they don't ever hit the gym. Their standards are off the charts for what they look like. And when they comment about it they usually throw in some insults about women who don't look that way.
    My husband works out a lot. He's in the military and likes to keep in shape. I've never been one for working out. At least intentionally. I like hiking and sports but hate the gym. I quit when I'm not having fun. So I'm not in shape I never have been since meeting him. I have a nice body but not a workout one. He's always had abs and amazing arms and ass. He wanted me then. He wants me now.
    Though I understand someone who does workout wanting someone who does as well.

• I think this applies to girls as well. Especially in this day and age where we are against "body shaming", it seems as though men have the short end of the stick. Media is surrounding us with these anti-body shaming ads and PSA's that involve women, but I never really see men being accepted. So, I don't think it's a double standard necessarily, because there are women that are deemed "unfit" with high expectations of men's bodies, and they feel like they have a right to be because society is telling them to accept themselves, and for men to accept them as well because of the lack of equality in these ads/PSAs.

So in saying that, I think it is only fair to expect from others what you expect from yourself as a general rule.

• I voted strongly disagree, in that I strongly disagree that the double stereotype *should* exist.

Man, everyone is searching for perfection and very few will ever get it. That's fine, as long as we all remember that sometimes we have to temper our expectations.

• Yea, we can't really deny there are a fair chunk of less attractive men like that. I'd say it parallels some less wealthy females being gold-diggers. I'm assuming when it actually works out, it's because the person lacking the one feature makes up for it in other ways. What do you think about that? If a fat rich man expected a beautiful wife?

• Meant to vote B. But it can go both ways.

Part of the reason I work out is because my boyfriend is very fit so I feel kind of obligated to also be fit :p

• Just because you want something doesn't mean you're going to get it. As for anyone expecting to get what they want without putting in effort themselves, well... good luck

• As the saying goes, even the frogs are raised with beliefs that they deserve a princess. Hahahah! This is our cultural problem.

• Very common with guys.

• Yes, I strongly agree!!!

• Any experiences you want to share lol such a strong response ☺

• Haha nothing in particular, I just know some guys who are over critical when it comes to a girl's physic when they themselves are out of shape and don't have anything special...😋

• Ya I hear it all the time tbh

• Most of the guys on here are like this too. They want a supermodel to date when they themselves are way out of their league. This also applies to the obese chicks who want some hunk of a guy to date them.

• I agree to some point but not really. I mean what matter is the inside and if I like that then I could totally say beauty that I missed.

• sounds about right

• Both should when they can.

• Do we agree that it happens or agree that it's legit and likely?

What Guys Said 14

• Strongly Agree. I can understand they want a fit girlfriend, it's their taste, just because they're fat doesn't mean they like fat girls, but expecting to get a fit girlfriend while they don't even have a healthy weight, is not right.

"I want a fit girlfriend, but they always reject me cause I'm fat. Stupid bitches" heard this too many times.

• Who cares? They're idiots like the fat girls who think some hot, attractive guy will date them.

• I train 4 hours a day I want my girlfriend to be fit and happy. I made the mistake of going for a girl who was sort of fit but definitely not happy and fuuuuuuuu. Never Again.

But to answer your question double standards are stupid.

• I find that people on GAG seem to confuse the word "expect" and "desire." The sentences, "I expect to win the lottery" and "I desire to win the lottery" have totally different meanings. Similarly, "I expect to date someone attractive" and "I desire to date someone attractive" are very different.

No one I know personally, and I mean that quite literally, who is physically unattractive "expects" to date someone attractive. They DESIRE to date someone attractive.

That being said, if they desire to date someone attractive, then I would strongly advise they do what they can to make themselves attractive.

• It seems the other way around tbh lol. Most girls are fricken slobs and eat like shit most of the time. They get away with it because they are young and have boobs. Most girls I mess around with are lazy as fck.

• Preferences don't count as 'double standard.'
    Flip it around and say a fit guy prefers a chubbier woman. Is that still a double standard?

• I agreed. Why I go to the gym and put in the hard work.

I think it's wise to find someone of equal status.

Unless she's gorgeous and the dude is rich but not a looker. This hs proven to work.

• Agreed. Become a 8-10 to date an 8-10, that's my belief.

• Yah. I've seen too many potatoe bodied men in college talk badly about girls who'd rate higher than them on the scale.

• I disagreed. Reason being is that (in reasoning) women don't go for looks that much. I find the Guys who get the babes are not really gym bunnies. Some do, but some don't. and their girls are happy. For example, I am, at my age, more built than most of my friends, have my 6 pack, v lines, squat booty (good take btw) but i still get annihilated in the game. One guy I'm thinking of in particular is lazy and full of shit, but he gets women. I think if the guy is fun and protective etc he doesn't really need to go to a gym and still claim a gorgeous girl. Look at many actors and rock stars. Mick Jagger? Seriously lol

• I am pretty in shape so yea Ima keep my standards to Megan fox, thnxjeff. jpig

• absolutely man, strongly agree and it happens both ways

• You ever hear of opposites attract. Men and women are not the same. That's why we attract each other. Just like polar opposites attract each other and similar repel. We shouldn't try to be alike. I'm rough and independent. I like dependable and meek in the women I date. They're exactly the same. Women don't want to date somebody as girly as them. They want men

• And some air head women who constantly get fucked over by shitty men think they have divine right to a decent and stable fella. Double standards much? There are plenty of double standards on both sides, so less of the asslicking please pal (unless you like the taste of shit that is?)

• You do know not all women are into the bodybuilding culture, right?

• I don't really see that as a double standard. I've seen both girls and guys who were out of shape that wanted Victoria secret or Calvin Klein looking models for their SO.