Are you technically boyfriend/girlfriend if?

So, he said he's not ready for a relationship just yet. He was cheated on in a previous relationship and he's still affected by it.

Are you technically boyfriend/girlfriend if:

- He says there is no one else
- He removed his dating profile after you two started seeing each other
- You see each other once a week (long distance. busy lives. etc.) He makes an effort to come up and see you.
- You have met his parents, and on first meeting it seemed like he had already talked to them about you
- He had a talk with his mother about you
- He said he is not going to change how he treats you and that he will give you the type of relationship that you want, he just wants you two to be on the same page.
- He says and does things to show he cares.
- He says he sees a committed relationship with you down the road, but the timing is off.

Some people nowadays just don't want to label relationships, or are afraid of the word Committment
Forgot to mention he often does kissy face emoticons for goodnight texts haha

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope, not until you say anything about it are you boyfriend and girlfriend. I would be weirded out if someone introduced me as their boyfriend without us having discussed it.

showing all these things is great, but I do that for any girl I am dating regardless if we have talked about labels or not because I know girls like ti and expect it. You are not exclusive or dating until you both verbally decide that in my opinion. And I see your update about labeling and I think that is silly people don't like to label and just commitments... if you are exclusive and seeing each other long term, just talk about it and say you are a couple.

• I get that. So, yes, we both haven't physically said we are boyfriend/girlfriend, but we have both brought up that we are exclusive with each other.

The main point of my question is that, when a guy says he's not ready for a committed relationship yet, it generally comes off as either:

A) I don't want to be with you.
      B) Generally just not ready

A lot of people would assume A, but that doesn't always mean B is not what's going on. From my own perspective, I don't think it's A. I think he's got a lot going on right now, and that he's trying to pace things out with me, so that we are both on the same page.

• Also, it's just to give me some piece of mind. I wouldn't introduce him and I has boyfriend/girlfriend. Just for my own individual sanity, haha.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds like you're dating, but not into an official relationship as of yet.

What Guys Said 2

• There is only two things that needed for being a true boyfriend and girlfriend, as far as I'm concerned, monogamous relationship and physical intimacy.

• Check, check then. He's not hard to read, but I think a lot of it has to do with him being pretty introverted. He enjoys spending time to himself, which I give him, and he also doesn't really text a whole lot, which he has apologized before for his texting habits.

We are kinda in this gray area. We had the relationship talk a couple months back, which is when he said he wasn't ready to commit yet (he said he had just started feeling like his normal self again after his last breakup (she cheated), he likes his alone time, and he's kinda afraid of getting hurt again). It was one big confusion because he said he wasn't ready to commit, but he was still going to be committed to me (i. e. not see anyone else, etc.).

• As long as he is committed to you it's all that really important, actions speak louder than words.

• He prefers actions over words. Thanks for this!

• I vote "Yes"!

What Girls Said 3

• No, you can be more than a friend but once he starts addressing you as his girlfriend and you've communicated openly about this then you're his girlfriend. I'm not saying this to be rude but I just assumed when my ex and I got back together that he was my boyfriend again to my surprise to him we weren't and we were what you'd say "working it out"

• If you've already met the parents and he's talking like he's gonna keep you around like that to his mom then I'd say yeah.

• No. If he's not ready to lable it then he still thinks there might be a reason you two won't fit together.