What are acceptable age gaps for dating?

in the following ages:
12,13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 & 19?

I don't mean for myself I mean what ages could a 12 year old date etc. sorry for the confusion.

Most Helpful Guy

• Socially acceptable, there is no hard number, everyone has a different maturity level, but as a guideline I would say 12-14, 14-16, 16-19

Legally, Canada has a sensible system
    "a close-in-age exemption for sex between 14-15 year olds and partners up to 5 years older, and keeping an existing close-in-age clause for sex between 12-13 year olds and partners up to 2 years older."

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the perspective each person, from each cultural background has of acceptable. I've known a 14 years old and a 20 year old dating and the guy was so madly in love with her for whatever reason that he literally waited until she turned 18 to have sex with her and now they're engaged. However, if we're speaking sexually wise, of course (in MY opinion) 12 isn't the right age to engage in any sort of sexual activity. I'd say 14-15 is ok to start experimenting (assuming they use protection, see there's lots of side questions to this...). If we're talking about dating, loving but not having sex until the younger (considering he/she is as young as 12-14) one is at least of age, there is no problem to emotionally getting involved with someone older, so long it is healthy and not based on lies/hidden. This is a very complicated subject to discuss, depending on a perspective. a 12 year old dating a 16+ year old can be very complicated because usually not every guy (or girl, if she's the oldest part) is like my friend and happens to wait and be so devoted haha teens nowadays wanna fuck, let's be blunt. So your question is difficult to answer because it depends on many factors. Of course if you'd ask me straight away about a 12 year old dating a 17 year old I'd question it and I'd worry about the oldest ones motivations and drives to date a child (everyone would question it, of course). Basically what is viewed with less weirdness would be:
    - a 12 year old dating no one younger than 10 and no one older than 14 (don't ask, 10 year olds nowadays thing they're so grown up xD...),
    - a 13 year old dating no one younger than 11 and no one older than 15,
    - a 14 year old dating no one younger than 12 and no one older than 16,
    - a 15 year old dating no one younger than 13 and no one older than 18 (adding a bit here because the teenager actually starts to develop emotionally much deeper and faster by 15-16...)
    - and at 16/17, it isn't seen as normal to date anyone older than their 20's, 25 tops and that's already perceived as weird.
    See, it all depend son how we see it and what the people involved's intentions really are. There's always the paedophilia question that will always be brought up at all times.
    This is a subject that one could discuss for days and days...

• Mind if I message you to talk?

• Girls also mature faster, typically finishing puberty by 16, while a guy is 18. It's also been shown that most men are attracted to 16, thus by social definition, all men are "pedophiles". By proper definition, pedophilia is prepubescent, under 12. The proper term is hebephile 11-14 and ephebophile 15-19.

• Damn, that's lots of typing, you do know every subject could discuss for days and days, just depends on how you see it. Here's an add if you want to write more :P, the different sexes, because girls would more likely date an older guy, while guy would rather date a younger girl.

What Guys Said 38

• (age of older person ÷ 2) + 7 = youngest age to date

Implications:

ages 12 & 13 are too young to date
    14 year old teens can date each other
    15 can date 15 & 16
    16 can date 15 through 18
    17 can date 16 through 20
    18 can date 16 through 22
    19 can date 17 through 24

Here's a link to an online age range calculator that implements this rule:
    (Oddly, this calculator allows for half year answers. Nobody says that they are 17.5 years old. Consequently, all my calculations involve rounding to a narrower age range than those calculated by this online calculator.)

https://www.easycalculation.com/fun/dating.php

• It really depends on what you mean by acceptable and what your intentions are. Depending on how your relationship is going, certain things can be illegal at certain ages.

A good rule to go by is Your age (12) divided by 2 + 7. So 12/2 + 7 = 13. That's a good guideline to dating for people under 18. So a 13 y/o dating a 12 y/o wouldn't be seen as creepy or weird usually.

Be careful and know the laws of your local area. Certain things are illegal at certain ages and that changes from place to place.

• 12 too young to date
    13 too young to date
    14 too young to date
    15 can date another 15 year old; group or chaperoned dates only
    16 can date 15, 16 or 17 year old
    17 can date 16, 17 or 18 year old
    18 can date 16-19 year old
    19 can date 17-21 year old

• your age divided by two, then add seven (and round up I guess).
    That's the age you should be able to date (whatever the difference is between your age and your answer is the "acceptable" difference in either direction). For example, if you're 20, 20/2=10, 10+7=17. So if you're 20, you should be able to date 17 year olds, but ALSO 23 year olds. The formula is typically for people over 14.

12 -> 11-13
    13 -> 12-14
    14 -> 14
    (see doesn't make much sense)

15 -> 15-16
    16 -> 15-18
    17 -> 16-20
    18 -> 16-22
    19 -> 17-24

• It depends... but I guess that something more than 5 years starts getting a bit too much. Oh, and it depends on the age too, a 16 or 17 year old should date someone 5 years younger, for example.

And it depends on the country and laws too. For example, where I live I can date a girl 5 years younger than me at my current age and no one will give a fuck about it. In other places it won't happen and it's not even legal.

• My rule of the thumb for all ages is: a difference up or down between 10% and 15% of the age of the youngest. 20% should be an exception. No dating under 14.
    If you can't calculate percents, you're probably too young. :)

• A 12 yr old dating? Imagine that 12 yr old liked younger boys. little boys.

What is this world coming to?
    I say when in teens. A cpl years dif is ok. More of a spread between ages as we get older.
    Example... 25 yr girl dating 35 yr male.
    Or 45 f 62 m give or take 10 years

• When you are positive you love someone, it doesn't matter. However, there is a legal age when over 18 and it varies from state to state. When it comes to social standards, it's 2 years at most when under 18

• Right now the lowest I'd go is 18 but that'll probably change soon. The oldest currently I'd have a serious relationship with would be like 28 but I don't really see that happening any time soon.

• Age gaps are HUGE when you're young. Just a year or two is a big part of your life. Not only proportionally, but because there's a big amount of development still going on, what with puberty and all.
    Essentially, I believe that within this age range you shouldn't date someone more than 1.5-2 years younger or older, maximum. Bottom line. Someone over 18 should NEVER date someone under 16. Ever.

• I think all people who are above the legal age of consent are in the same dating bracket.

If those below it can't be charged with a crime, then they are in their own single bracket, too.

• If you have to have your parents drive you to your date, you're not old enough to be dating.

• I always stuck with around my own age apart from a couple of times when I was a teenager. I met some hot older women in parties and in clubs I slept with. Proof that women like youngsters too. I slept with a 26 year old when I was 15. You can bet I didn't feel used. Nowadays women under about 25 just look like little girls to me

• That's not okay

• @JuicyBrain pedantic as hell. Have it your way

• Well, the difference is consent. That's a bit more than pedantic to me... There are plenty of situations where I wouldn't want a beautiful lady to have sex with me (not that it would ever happen). What if I already am in a couple? If she tries so force herself on me, I'll stop her. If she somehow drugs me and is successful in raping me, then I don't care if she's beautiful or not. I'll report her.
      Maybe all you did was a bad joke. It's ok then, it happens.

• 12 and 13 are definitely too young to date. Even 14 is pushing it. I would say kids between 15-17 should date someone no younger than their own age and probably no more than 2 years their own age.

• 0-15 years of age difference, after 15 years of difference it gets weird.

• Either gender either way, if it's legal, I don't care.

• Above 18 I'll say 4-5 years as long as they're mature and know what they're doing.

Below 18 1-2 years max. The brain development under 18 is just crazy

• This is quite confusing, I'm 22, dated around 40s woman. What's the point?

• It all depends on the person really. Some people's age gaps are wider than the other person's...

• Maybe within 5 years if you're over 21

• Me:
    16 minimum
    21 maximum

• I'm 46 and my last girlfriend was 32... I think 10-15 is fine for men older than women, but it's dangerous to go the other way.. men simply age better (on average)

• A 12 year should not date anyone outside the range of 10-16

• Maybe more like 11-16

• At least where I'm from 11/12 year olds do not go to school with 16 yr olds

• I know it's an old question now but what would you age limits be on a 15 year old?

• I was involved with a 16 year old when I was 20. Now that I am 21, I will not date below 17.

Minimum: 17
    Maximum: 23

I prefer younger girls tho over older ones

• 20 or more than twenty below 20 is good for dating because both genders feel fear to go out and some how a little bit shyness is a problem for them

• Well I wouldn't date anyone younger than 16 which is the legal age of consent in my state. So for me I'll date women 16-35!

• -infinity to +infinity in every case

• 12 thats when i started to date

• as long she's legal. in my country that's 16yo.

• 10% of one's age.

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 13

• Honestly don't like the idea of a 12 year old "dating" but I guess if they did the person should only be a year in either direction. 13 maybe two years either direction, 14 2 years in either direction, 15 2 years younger, 3 years older.
    16 two younger 3 older, 17 two younger 2-3 older, 18 3 younger 4/5 older, 19 3 younger 5 older.

• 12 ~ 12
    13 ~ 13 / 14 maybe
    14 ~ 14 or 15
    15 ~ 15-17
    16 ~ 16-18
    17 ~ 17-18
    18 ~ 18-20
    19 ~ 19-22

As a girl, I was ok with dating 1 maybe 2 years younger from 17 on

• When you are 20!

• your age divided by 2 + 7

• all of the above are acceptable

• Children Below 14 should NOT be dating. Other than that, any age gap is acceptable as long as you both know that society will judge you if you and your date have too much of an age gap. If you're ready for it, go ahead.

• i think a 2 year age gap until you're 17, but that's just me

• 12-12, 13-14, 14-15, 15-16, 16-17, 17-18, 18-20, 19-23

• 12-15 too young to date in my opinion. But who listens? Lol.

At 16-17 gotta be cautious. Below 21.

Ugh I don't know lol. Just be careful and be aware of your and his intention and action.

• I don't know, I was 14 when my first boyfriend was 27. I've always been attracted to older guys 28+. I think its up to the two people in the relationship

• everything over 15-16 is fine.. below is not.

• for a 12 year old they could date someone that was 11 I think or there age or 13 probably

• Well I am talking to a 16 year old...