How do you know or tell if your parents are Racist?

Most Helpful Guy

• My were born in the 1930s, sooooo... not always the most enlightened people in that area sometimes. They're not actively racist, but they're just ignorant in some ways. They don't hate people based on race, but if you haven't assimilated to white American culture, you're doing it wrong, in their eyes. I try to take it with a grain of salt and remember they were my age by the time we all started using the same bathrooms and going to integrated schools, so what's "normal" to them is very different to our standards. I've been a huge fan of rap music my whole life, so my childhood always involved some friction about that. My dad gets angry when ATMs give options for languages other than English😂 He also knew MLK from when he was in college I think, I forget how and why they interacted, but he told me he was a jerk. Maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, but he played a major role in fighting for civil rights, so you can't really go around saying shit like that. Entirely possible that my dad did or said something ignorant, so who knows. My dad is a real good guy, but that's the one facet of him that I can't respect. But I mean, he's 83, so what are you gonna do, you know? I did my part, I didn't let him pass those views on to me.

• *My parents

• I know, right? The funniest part is, you know who they don't like the most? The Japanese. They just don't trust them, haha. All because they grew up during World War II and propaganda films, etc. I'm like "Uhhhh, we're cool with Japan now, that's like 75 year old beef", haha. But it was just ingrained in them from an early age. Racism is learned behavior. Crazy what the world was like back then. Really mind blowing. Obviously there's still racism today, in all its varieties, but from as far as what I can tell, it's definitely better than when I was your age, and it's a whooooolllleeee lot better than when my parents (who are really old enough to be my grandparents) were that age, apparently. So that's good at least, haha. Your generation seems to be ultra-conscious of it, so I think we'll see continued improvement👍🏻👍🏼👍🏽👍🏾👍🏿

• That's true

What Guys Said 5

• I know my grandma was racist since I was a kid

• If they burn crosses on the lawns of interacial couples, then your parents might be racist

• by what they say

• I experienced it already within the context of your very own question.

• If they talk wistfully about how we ought to have bombed Mecca after 9/11, they might... wait, that's not race.

If they're appalled at the prospect of you dating outside your race, that's a pretty clear indication.

What Girls Said 3

• If they gasp when you say daquans mixtape is fire

• When they say dating a (insert race) is like a horse mating with a duck 😂

• If they won't let you associate with a certain racial group, or if they associate a stereotype. Such as all black people are not criminals. All cops aren't awful. All muslims aren't terrorists. All Mexicans don't mow lawns.