Asking a girl out using Facebook (inbox/messenger). Socially acceptable?

I'm looking for as many opinions as possible.

This is assuming you know the girl, are already friends with her and one of your primary methods of communication is via Facebook messenger, but you don't get to see her too often.

Age: early 20's. Out of high school, in other words. This is also assuming we haven't been on a date yet.

Is it acceptable in this day and age, in this instance, to ask a girl out over Facebook?

• Yes, it is totally acceptable to ask a girl out over Facebook if you know her.
  • No, it isn't acceptable.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you want to do it right, you'll ask her out in person. If this isn't possible, I'd say the next best thing is to call her and ask. I've gotten asked out over Facebook by guys who I saw in person occasionally, and they had my phone number as well. Not so classy. Sure it's easier over Facebook, especially if you're nervous, but a girl will respect you and appreciate the gesture of asking her in person or over the phone much more.

Most Helpful Guy

• That's one of the creepiest thing you can do to a girl. Ask him out face-to-face dude! She will be likely to accept your invitation based on your philosophy, body languages etc!

What Girls Said 4

• Dude. Are you serious? Get your head out of your ass.

• Nooo, you have to ask her out in person, especially if it's a first date. If you get closer and start texting each other, then it'll be ok to ask her through text or calling. But never facebook.

• Even though you don't see her that often you should ask her face to face for a date.

• If you don't see her often start chatting online then can ask her out, asking her out without chatting first would be too much, their is nothing wrong with using technology to help you. Good luck

What Guys Said 1

• Good question. I'd say it feels kind of shallow to do so, better if it's face-to-face. Also, don't expect an immediate answer.