At What Age do Men Start Thinking About Marriage and Commitment?

There's quite an age gap between my boyfriend and I (I'm 21, he's 26) and while we haven't been dating for too long we've been friends for quite some time. So in my opinion we're no where near that level of commitment (yet, but I certainly won't shoot down the possibility of a future together) but because of the age difference I'm a touch worried that he might be ready for that sooner than I am (though neither of us are terribly religious). So while I know there's no set age for people to be ready for marriage or commitment, when in your experience does this start to creep into the minds of men? He just seems to be dropping the odd humorous hint about a distant future together and I'm just wondering what might be going through his mind hypothetically without freaking him out quite early into the romantic relationship.

Oh I certainly don't want marriage right away! I'm still so young and want to finish school and get established in life and my career before considering marriage. I figure I probably want to wait until I'm at least 25 and into medical school before settling down. Twenty-one is far too young in my opinion :p

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm I think it's different for many men, sometimes they think of it in their late twenties and sometimes they don't till they're 30, usually men are okay with when the women wants to if she wants it down the road they won't shoot it down, it's more common for them to shoot it down too early, I know my ex he got engaged when he was 24 I think (that didn't work out) and now he doesn't want to till he's in his 30's. I think you should ask him without hinting that you WANT TO do this right away becase he may assume but just casually ask when in his mind does he see himself settling down

What Guys Said 7

• Hi, well from what I know maturity is very personal and so is commitment. What I know as a general rule is guys brains aren't developed until 25. The frontal lobe that is responsible for decision making risk taking hasn't fully developed until then so that plays a big part in maturity. I'm guessing 25 until fully mature to settle down as for relationships any guy should be able to commit

• Unless you have plans to slut it up and sleep around, why can't you get married?

Is he rich and going to force you to not have a job once you get married? Will he make you drop out of college?

• YOU AREN'T READY FOR MARRIAGE

AND HE IS

This is why you should date men that are that much older than you because you guys want different things.

• Every guy is different. There is no set age when it happens.

• More and more give up on marriage.

• I was thinking about it (in terms of fantasies) by the time i was 19

• Never. Not ever.

What Girls Said 2

• 5 years isn't a big age gap? If he's talking about a future together it's a good sign, it means he's happy with you and he sees a future. It doesn't mean you'll have a ring on your finger soon :) don't stress! Just see where it goes.

• it varies. but most men i know don't give it much thought until late 20s or 30s