My mother in law is asking me to pay rent when I don't even live with her?

Long story short; hard times hit me and my husband recently and we are living separately due to lack of money of gas to travel to and from work. I'm living with a friend in the city and he crashes on her couch. We are 22 and 21 years old. She collects food stamps for him even though (by law) she technically has zero rights to do so. So she's getting $636 for food stamps a month for him.
Now she's telling me that I have to pay her $200 a week for her son being there. Yes he's my husband so I don't mind paying his way of living there (I make more than he does) but don't you think this is a little unreasonable?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• i wouldn't paid that because you both are separate and two its a monthly thing for rent. not a weekly.

What Guys Said 4

• Point that out to her. Your not the one living their he is. If she wants rent get it from him. Its not your responsibility.

• No he chose to go back to the " family home" it's up to him to pay his way and his mum even getting money to send on him it takes the piss. Tell her to pipe the fuck down and him to man up and pay his own keep.

• I just found out that she didn't even ask him. She went directly to me and expected me to do it.

• She isn't. She's always had this hatred toward me because I "stole her baby". Which may be why she's doing this. As kind of a "in your face, my boys back home" type of thing.

• Maybe. if I was you I wouldn't even rise to it.
      It's what she wants for you to react to it.

• Tell her no.

• My personal opinion is that it's a bit unreasonable, but it's her home and her rules. If the two of you aren't happy about it, he shouldn't be living under her roof.

What Girls Said 1

• Umm yeah. He should get s job or a second job. What benefits are you getting frm paying her? Can I ask with all your financial burdens, what made you get married?

• We got married when we owned our home. We wanted to expand and have a family so we sold our home and moved into a home with a lease to own option and we ended up getting fucked over from our accountant and lost the house after putting half the $168,900 that we got from selling our home into this new home. A great portion of the remainder of our money went to lawyers. This question is in no way asking about my marriage. Therefore, I shouldn't have to explain that to any outsider.
      And he's trying to get a better job but right now, with our state being the way it is, it is hard enough to get a job at McDonalds, let alone any good paying job.

• And he already has a job. He gets $14.75 an hour and I make $19.50 an hour. But in our state, basic rent for a one bedroom home is $1585 monthly or $425 weekly. Its not cheap where I am. We had everything and lost it from trusting someone with our finances of our new home.